Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Amanda Knox Acquittal Overturned

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/u...y-killing-vows-to-fight-extradition.html?_r=0

By accident I happen to have run across an account of this case in the afterword to a book about another famous Italian murder case, The Monster of Florence, by Preston/Spezi. The authors included that afterword about Knox in the second edition to underscore the rather unhinged behavior of the Italian prosecutor who was in charge of both cases, Giuliano Mignini. He is a modern day Joe McCarthy who, instead of hunting communists, hunts devil worshippers, a large network of whom, he believes, are at work in the world today, killing innocent people as part of their rituals.

Preston believes Knox is completely innocent:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey/2...ist-doug-preston-on-meredith-kerchers-murder/

and, going beyond the afterword in the other book, has put out a whole separate book in her defense:

https://www.amazon.com/Trial-By-Fury-Internet-Savagery-ebook/dp/B00CDU1H98

In this article published in The Atlantic in 2006, Preston encapsulates his experiences researching in Italy with Spezi and relates how, when he and Spezi determine Mignini has prosecuted the wrong man in the Monster of Florence murders, they are harrassed and jailed, and Spezi is accused of being the Monster of Florence. This is the kind of guy Mignini is.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/07/the-monster-of-florence/304981/

I think it's important for anyone with an opinion about this case to hear what Preston has to say. It's hard to believe such a thing could exist in the modern world, but it looks to me like Knox was outright framed by a mentally unstable person with a medieval witch-hunter's mentality. I don't believe she should be extradited.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Knowing Italy, it doesn't surprise me and she should not return. Of course this doesn't reflect on the many knowledgeable Italians that are appalled by this sort of thing. But still, this sort of thing goes on.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #3

cobalt124

Gold Member

I did wonder about the quality of judges in Italy and your post seems to confirm my suspicion that it is not very high. I'm now trying to square this with Knoxs interview on ABC, where she just looked guilty (IMO), and something I heard on BBC radio stating that 20 odd judges had reviewed the evidence and found Knox guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. Can't find a link for the latter yet, I'll post it if I find one.

5. Feb 1, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no personal interest in Ms Knox, but I don't find it surprising that her fellow-citizens would automatically assume she was innocent, especially when found guilty by a bunch of foreigners whose legal system doesn't work the same way as their own (which is self-evidently the best in the world, no doubt).

On the other hand, Preston's personal motivation seems transparently obvious: to make money from selling books, whether they are works of fiction, faction, or even fact.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. Feb 1, 2014 #5
    how can we be sure that knox is innocent?
    italy is a developed country and it doesnt have a poor legal system.
    what about the legal system of the USA?
    if majority of jury is black, then black is innocent and if majority of jury is white then white is innocent.
    just as in treyvon martin case.

7. Feb 1, 2014 #6
    This is not necessarily true. Mignini and his cohort, Giuttari, came under fire from other judges for their handling of the M.o.F. case. From Preston's 2006 Atlantic article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/07/the-monster-of-florence/304981/6/p.6
    You really should read this interview with Preston, at least:
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey/2...ist-doug-preston-on-meredith-kerchers-murder/
    The prosecution assembled a bunch of "half clues" against Knox and ignored all the full clues that point to this person, Rudy Guede, as the sole killer. He was clearly an opportunistic rapist who happened upon the victim, raped, and then killed her. Mignini's preference for the completely Byzantine conspiracy theory he cooked up is beyond comprehension.

8. Feb 1, 2014 #7
    This isn't what's happening. There are Americans screaming for her blood:
    So, the notion that she's generally considered innocent in the US is false.
    He is going completely against the tide for that. The view she is innocent is the unpopular, 'worst-selling', view.

9. Feb 1, 2014 #8
    It sounds like you're making a case that the Italian system is just as bad as the US system, or vice versa. That doesn't amount to the Italian system not being poor. All it says is the US is just as bad.

10. Feb 1, 2014 #9

mheslep

Gold Member

Why does the author's comment on some blog posts indicate anything about majority viewpoints in the US?

11. Feb 1, 2014 #10
  12. Feb 1, 2014 #11

cobalt124

Gold Member

13. Feb 1, 2014 #12
    It's being reported there are "hints" Italy won't seek her extradition. I hope that turns out to be the case.

14. Feb 1, 2014 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps some Americans have that "self-evident" attitude, but I'd be surprised to fine it here.

No, the charge of unfairness comes from what we call "double jeopardy". In the US, there are clear limits on government's ability to prosecute a person more than once for the same crime. Once a person has been acquitted, the case is over. This limits a prosecutor's ability to "wage war" on an individual and keep trying him again and again until he is found guilty.

This, to me, is very fair. If a prosecutor's power is not checked it will run amok eventually.

15. Feb 1, 2014 #14

Evo

+ 1

16. Feb 2, 2014 #15

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can see the other side though: US law works on the basis that double jeopardy is not permitted, so presumably there is a higher burden that the state has to prove before a case goes to court. In a country without such a law, there will likely be a lower burden of proof required before a case goes to court, since the state knows that if other evidence becomes available later, or if evidence is "mishandled" (as appears to be the case here, from my cursory reading), then there can be a re-trial.

Not saying that either side is right, but we need to be careful when comparing systems in order to make a fair comparison.

17. Feb 8, 2014 #16
    This article came out a couple days ago airing out the fact much of this is about internal Italian politics:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/was-amanda-knox-a-political-pawn-in-italian-politics/

18. Feb 8, 2014 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In Italy, a person needs two sequential guilty verdicts in two separate trials to be convicted. This isn't like the right to appeal a guilty verdict since an appeal generally has to focus on procedural errors. A complete retrial is automatic.

There's also more than just the verdicts of guilty or not guilty. A defendant could be fully acquitted, convicted as guilty, or receive a verdict that's kind of an "unproven". A full acquittal is subject to appeal (which can't happen in the US), but if the acquittal is upheld, the process ends.

But, yes, a defendant could theoretically be tried many times if the trials kept resulting in unproven.

In Knox's case, she had one guilty verdict, followed by a full acquittal, but the full acquittal was thrown out on appeal, setting the score back at 1-0 guilty. The result of the third trial was considered the second sequential guilty verdict since the intervening acquittal result was thrown out.

She gets another automatic appeal (which is an appeal; not a retrial). If the appeal is successful, then score is back to 1-0 and there will be yet another trial.

If the appeal is unsuccessful, then the process is ended and Knox is convicted.

Definitely different than the court system most Americans think they are familiar with (especially the idea that the state can appeal an acquittal), but what happened to Knox wasn't inherently unfair within the system she was tried. If she loses her appeal, I see no reason why the US wouldn't extradite her back to Italy.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  19. Feb 8, 2014 #18

russ_watters

Because double jeopardy matters to us?

20. Feb 8, 2014 #19
    This isn't about the double jeopardy issue at all. It's about the fact she was framed from the get-go by a nut job prosecutor, Mignini, who outright projected a satanic cult conspiracy onto what was actually a conventional rape-murder by a lone attacker:

http://nypost.com/2011/10/02/how-occult-obsessed-prosecutor-turned-knox-trial-into-a-witch-hunt/

From Preston/Spezi:
    There was no "orgy" of any kind, much less a "rite". Knox and Raffale were at his place when Guede got in and raped and killed, Kercher. No one who knows the history of this woman, Carlizzi's weird influence over Gutierrez and Mignini could possibly sanction Knox being extradited. The whole thing is straight out of "The Crucible".

21. Feb 8, 2014 #20
    Let's bear in mind this equally interesting legal decision that came out of Italy last year:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...nslaughter-for-failing-to-predict-earthquake/
    Had a US, or any other non-Italian seismologist been one of the consultants here, I would hope no one would support extradition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook