Amaze your friends, well maybe amaze is too strong a word

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary, the trick involves having someone write down a 3 or 4 digit number, rearrange it, subtract the smaller number from the larger one, circle a digit in the answer, rearrange the remaining digits, and the person can determine which digit was circled. The trick relies on the fact that the final number will always be a multiple of 9 and the circled digit will always be the same.
tribdog
Here's a neat little trick I just learned:
Tell your friend to write down a 3 or 4 digit number, but don't let you see it (it can actually be any number of digits over 2, but if your friends are like mine they get confused easily). Tell them to use a variety of different numbers. Let's say our friend picks 1234. Now tell them to rearrange those digits into a new number, like 4321 or 2143 or 3241 etc, again don't let you see it. Let's say they pick 4123. Now tell them to subtract the small one from the big one. 4123-1234=2889. Now tell them to circle one of the digits in their answer, but don't circle a 0, cause it's already a circle. We'll say they circle the 9, tell them to take the uncircled digits and rearrange them and tell you that number, 288 or 828 etc. and you will tell them what digit they have circled. Someone want to try? Then I'll tell you how it's done, although once you look at it closely you'll probably figure it out. It is pretty neat though.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK! I've got an number and did the calculations.. now what? The final number is 8.

Originally posted by Monique
OK! I've got an number and did the calculations.. now what? The final number is 8.

Then you circled a 1

correct! You are the new oracle??

Just call me "Nostrildumbass"
should I say how the trick is done, or should I let people try to figure it out?

Let's wait a while and see who else want to test your mighty brain :P

I've got one too: you should follow your initial hunch!

Pick a two digit number between 1 and 50
The number cannot have two digits the same,
It can only be an ODD number.

Last edited:
Let's wait a while and see who else want to test your mighty brain :P

I've got one too: you should follow your initial hunch!

Pick a number between 1 and 50
The number cannot have two digits the same,
It can only be an ODD number.

alright I've got one.

Last edited:
is it a two digit number? it should have two digits

let me check, one, two. yep two digitss

37!
wow, amazing, wrong, but amazing

sorry, I think I misread your instructions. I just picked an odd number, you meant both digits have to be odd right? sorry. plus I saw this trick on some TV show. so I shouldn't have even participated, and once participating I shouldn't have screwed it up.

Tribdog I need to know your trick so I can perform it

What is "Amaze your friends"?

"Amaze your friends" is a phrase commonly used to describe activities or tricks that can impress or surprise your friends.

What are some examples of "Amaze your friends" activities?

Examples of "Amaze your friends" activities include card tricks, magic tricks, mind reading games, and optical illusions.

Can anyone learn to "Amaze your friends"?

Yes, anyone can learn to "Amaze your friends" with practice and patience. Some people may have a natural talent for certain tricks, but most can be learned through instruction and practice.

Are there any ethical concerns with "Amaze your friends" tricks?

While most "Amaze your friends" tricks are harmless and meant for entertainment purposes, it is important to consider the feelings and consent of your friends before performing any trick. It is also important to avoid using any tricks that may cause physical or emotional harm.

Can "Amaze your friends" tricks be used for educational purposes?

Yes, "Amaze your friends" tricks can be used for educational purposes, such as demonstrating scientific principles or teaching problem-solving skills. They can also be used to spark curiosity and interest in a particular subject.