Amaze Friends: Learn How to Do an Amazing Card Trick!

• Thread starter Whalstib
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a math magic card trick that involves choosing cards and cutting the deck. The trick is that the position of the cards is predetermined and not affected by the cut, making it seem like a random choice. The conversation also mentions analyzing the trick with pencil and paper, but ultimately concludes that it is still a surprising and non-intuitive feat.
Whalstib
Here's the video:
http://www.flixxy.com/math-magic-card-trick.htm

Just the idea that the odd even of the up down never reveals the cards baffles me..

I got to find a deck of cards!

If you know don't blow it right away! Hints ok...

Warren

OK In the form of an edit...

I can see how the 1st and last card are intentionally inserted into a slot that will always be 2 of the last 3 cards. But the 3rd is random. Isn't it?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
OK..

That wasn't too hard with a deck of cards to figure out...It's weird how you think by choosing you have a choice!

Warren

Hint: look at the order he places the 3 layers on top of each other. What does this imply about the position of the 3 cards ;)

Right!

But you wouldn't think it's ... well ...

The idea "you" cutting the deck implies some uncertainty which there clearly is not!

W

Pretty neat!

Yeah it looks really surprising at first sight. Once you start analysing it in more detail however it doesn't take very long to realize that the point where the cards are cut has absolutely no effect at all on the positions in the deck where the three "trick" cards eventually go. It's not hard to show that they will always be in positions (from the top) of 6, 22 and 38 when he starts the "up down up down etc" deal out.

Last edited:
Yep

Put pencil to paper and becomes apparent.

It still seems like it should not be though...That's the trick part!

W

Whalstib said:
Yep

Put pencil to paper and becomes apparent.

It still seems like it should not be though...That's the trick part!

W
That's the great part. Non-intuitive = incomprehensible = MAGIC.

1. How do I perform the "Amaze Friends" card trick?

To perform the "Amaze Friends" card trick, you will need a deck of cards and basic card handling skills. Begin by shuffling the deck and having your friend choose a card and remember it. Then, ask them to place the card back in the deck and shuffle it again. Next, spread out the deck and have your friend point to a random card. Secretly memorize this card and then shuffle the deck once more. Finally, reveal your friend's chosen card by finding it in the deck. Your friend will be amazed that you were able to find their card!

2. Do I need any special props or equipment to perform this trick?

No, you do not need any special props or equipment to perform the "Amaze Friends" card trick. All you need is a standard deck of cards and some basic card handling skills. You can use any deck of cards, as long as it has 52 cards and includes four suits (hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades).

3. Is this trick suitable for all ages?

Yes, the "Amaze Friends" card trick is suitable for all ages. It is a simple and fun trick that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. However, younger children may need some assistance with shuffling and handling the cards.

4. Can I perform this trick more than once for the same group of friends?

Yes, you can perform the "Amaze Friends" card trick multiple times for the same group of friends. However, if your friends catch on to how the trick is done, it may not have the same "wow" factor as the first time. It is always a good idea to mix up your tricks and not rely on just one trick to impress your friends.

5. Are there any variations of the "Amaze Friends" card trick?

Yes, there are many variations of the "Amaze Friends" card trick. You can change up the steps, add in different elements, or even combine it with other card tricks. It's always fun to get creative and come up with your own unique version of the trick. Just make sure to keep the basic concept of finding a chosen card in the deck to maintain the amazement factor.