Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amazing lightning photo

1. Jan 21, 2015 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi guys
    Had to share this with you .....
    This is amazing, have never seen anything like this before in a lightning discharge ( nor has my mate who photo'ed it)
    My fellow storm chaser Michael, from NE NSW State of Australia took this photo a few days or so ago

discharge1.jpg

now a closeup

discharge2.jpg

Now tell me that doesn't look like a plasma discharge like you see in those plasma globes ?

is really outstanding

Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hm ... I'm thinking some reincarnation of Tesla has a lab down under all that :D

4. Jan 21, 2015 #3
    Nice! Looks like a cute little lightening bolt!

5. Jan 21, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He may have made a new discovery ?

thought it worthy of the Physics Forums :)

6. Jan 21, 2015 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Doesn't look like "elf" or "sprite." Spectacular.

7. Jan 21, 2015 #6

Borg

Gold Member

Very nice Dave. Definitely worthy! :oldsmile:

8. Jan 21, 2015 #7

Dotini

Gold Member

What we are seeing may be a cloud-to-ground "anvil crawler, the horizontal, tree-like, in-cloud lightning discharges whose leader propagation is resolvable to the human eye."
    http://stormhighway.com/types.php

PS: I have one of those plasma globes - very amusing!

9. Jan 21, 2015 #8

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

If you look very closely, you'll notice Zeus at the end of the discharge.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  10. Jan 21, 2015 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it doesn't as they are usually much larger and well above the storm, without an associated ( directly assoc.) lightning bolt

interesting thought but no, this is a cloud to air discharge ... see a little further down the page on that link you gave

I have seen and or photo'ed several in the past, but none of them exhibited this feature

yup likewise, great thing to break boredom haha

cheers
    Dave

11. Jan 21, 2015 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That made me giggle, Bandersnatch :)

D

12. Jan 24, 2015 #11
    The main plasma stream is much brighter than the tributaries. But at the top, the brightness suddenly stops. It doesn't seem to decrease in brightness proportionally to current. I wonder why not.

13. Jan 24, 2015 #12

Dotini

Gold Member

Upward moving lightning from ground to cloud will often tree out into the clouds as it is seen doing here.

14. Jan 24, 2015 #13

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This isn't from ground to cloud ... its from cloud to clear air ...
    have another look at the link you posted earlier and as I then suggested ... scroll down a little :)

Dave

15. Jan 24, 2015 #14

Dotini

Gold Member

Looking at the photo, the lower end of the stroke appears to be obscured by clouds. Are we sure it originates in the lower cloud and not the ground? Above the stroke where the lightning trees into blue branches, it is dark. Is that the sky, or the bottom of another cloud? What are those diagonal streaks going from upper left to lower right in the upper right quadrant of the photo?

Those blue tendrils at the top appear to be mostly discharging into a cloud. The way I see it, this will be upward discharging lightning, either cloud to cloud or ground to cloud, or even intracloud. But not cloud to air.

cloudtoair2.jpg
    Cloud-to-Air Lightning
    click to enlarge

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  16. Jan 24, 2015 #15

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, because it would have discharged into the base of the cloud, not gone through and kept going. Also and this is almost the biggest clue
    Its obvious the origin point is in the cloud as you can see the intense light from the origin point. In a ground to cloud, that is not usually seen
    well at least in the 1000's of lighting discharge pics of my own and of others
    And also, there is no lighting (illumination) up of the lower section of the cloud as would happen if the discharge had a path between the cloud and ground ( regardless of the direction)

Yes the tendrils are heading towards the cloud
    Its an unsuccessful cloud to cloud/intracloud, as the main path ENDS in open air. It just happened to be close enough to the upper part of the cloud to start trying to discharge to the cloud

Here's a pic of my own of a cloud to air, You can also just see a hint of the downwards part of the discharge from the origin point

IMGP4984a.jpg

cheers
    Dave

17. May 20, 2016 #16

Dotini

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  18. Jun 16, 2016 #17

Dotini

Gold Member

From today's edition of Spaceweather.com:

RED SPRITES AND GREEN AIRGLOW:
    Thunderstorm season is underway in the northern hemisphere. That means astrophotographers should point their cameras above the clouds. Thomas Ashcraft did so on June 14th, and he captured two forms of space weather--red sprites and green airglow:

sprite_strip.png

"A large jellyfish sprite appeared over a thunderstorm in the western Oklahoma panhandle last evening," says Ashcraft. "It was about three hundred miles away from my observatory."

"I also caught it in video with very low frequency (VLF) radio emissions, and the parent lightning stroke made a strong pop," he says. Turn up the volume and play the video.

Possibly triggered by cosmic rays, sprites are a form of upper atmospheric that reach up from the tops of thunderstorms toward the edge of space. Although sprites have been seen for at least a century, most scientists did not believe they existed until after 1989 when sprites were photographed by cameras onboard the space shuttle.

The "jellyfish sprite" Ashcraft captured is backlit by a band of green airglow. Airglow surrounds our entire planet, fringing the top of the atmosphere with aurora-like color. Although airglow resembles the aurora borealis, its underlying physics is different. Airglow is caused by an assortment of chemical reactions in the upper atmosphere. Auroras, on the other hand, are ignited by gusts of solar wind.

19. Jun 16, 2016 #18

1oldman2

Gold Member

What a lucky shot, thanks for posting that image.

20. Jul 5, 2016 #19
    Fantastic, ain't mother nature grand?

21. Jul 25, 2016 #20

Dotini

Gold Member

A new model of ball lightning formation which has the advantage of explaining how it can form inside airplanes and pass through windows.

9941_f228bda69952fa13fe74d09b34e4983b.jpg

9942_154aa6866aefb6f8d0b722621fa71e83.png

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep28263
    Figure 1A: Ball lightning model.

srep28263-f1.jpg
    (a) Microwave bubble model. (b) Relativistic electron bunch generation. In the last leader step, a bunch of runaway electrons emerges from the leader tip, accelerates by electric fields between the leader and ground, and undergoes an avalanche. (c) Coherent transition radiation (CTR) of the electron bunch striking the ground or passing through aircraft skins. γ is the relativistic factor of electrons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted