Amazing powers of observation

• Thread starter ranyart
  • Start date
In summary: They were just a way to get the attention of people who would not be interested in a story about real science.
ranyart
I get the feeling that a recent post thread:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=177168#post177168

started by Ivan back in Feb, showing a genuine scientific phenonema occurring in scicily, has been closed for the wrong reasons.

Chroot, as true to form has just glanced at the last posting above, seen my name in the thread and the alarm bells start ringing!

If chroot took the time to actually read the whole threads, he would see the genuine status of events.

It is quite amazing how some rely on their perceived powers of observation, chroot being in his later years, and operating on a hard drive that is long overdue for a de-frag, make the most obvious pathetic reasons for closing threads. I think he must be more than likely a very important 'father-in-law', or a super 'uncle', I see no other reason for his status as Mentor/Moderator.

I think a change of scenery is needed, maybe a 'Mr Burns' part in The Simpsons would be more realistic.

Back to the thread, it seems that Ivan's original thread started in Feb, shows another phenonema that is worldwide, and also ventures into science, the scientists who were offering explinations of the strange fires in the village, appear to have missed the obvious connexion to the Solar Flare activity of late 2003, (Mr Chroot also has no recollection!)

Amazing powers of observation are like short and long term memory, convieniant if you are a delapetated grumpy old man :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm 24 years old, though I'll be 25 in less than a month. I guess that puts me squarely in Mr. Burns territory, eh?

I didn't close the thread because you posted to it, ranyart. I closed the thread because it had nothing to do with mainstream physics. Simple, really. Super-Charged Super Particles, whatever the hell they are, are nary to be found in any physics book I've ever read.

- Warren

Just to set the record straight:
I closed the thread linked by Ranyart. There are a total of three threads involved, two in the S&D forum, and one in the General Physics forum. I closed the two threads in S&D and started the one in physics. I did this because it seemed to me that this story had reached the status of being a genuine and credible mystery, however the objections made by other mentors include that we have very little reliable information by which to judge. This allows for very little other than wild guessing and it makes it very difficult for the mentor to maintain a credible discussion. For this reason the thread in physics is closed and I have reopened the discussion in the S&D forum in this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=16494

Oh yes, Charged Super Particles are not part of the story.

Last edited:

What are the amazing powers of observation?

The amazing powers of observation refer to the ability to notice and gather information from one's surroundings using all five senses. This skill is essential for scientists to make observations and draw conclusions about the world around them.

Why is having strong powers of observation important for a scientist?

Having strong powers of observation is important for a scientist because it allows them to make accurate and detailed observations, which are crucial for conducting experiments and formulating hypotheses. It also helps in identifying patterns and making connections between different phenomena.

How can one improve their powers of observation?

One can improve their powers of observation by practicing mindfulness and paying attention to details in their surroundings. It is also helpful to ask questions and actively seek out information from different sources to gain a deeper understanding of what is being observed.

What are some common mistakes scientists make when making observations?

Some common mistakes scientists make when making observations include being influenced by biases, not collecting enough data, and not being thorough in their observations. It is important for scientists to be aware of these potential pitfalls and strive for objectivity in their observations.

How do scientists use their powers of observation in their research?

Scientists use their powers of observation in a variety of ways in their research. They may use it to collect data, make comparisons, and identify patterns or trends. They also use it to come up with new ideas and hypotheses, which can then be tested through further observation and experimentation.