Interrupting My PF Vacation: Behold DARPA's BigDog Project!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses a video of a DARPA project, specifically the BigDog, which interrupts someone's PF vacation. The speaker encourages others to watch the entire video and expresses their amazement at the technology. They also mention wanting to use the BigDog to carry camping gear in the future.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I had to interrupt my PF vacation to post this video - a DARPA project.

WOW! Be sure to watch the entire video.
http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I had to interrupt my PF vacation to post this video - a DARPA project.

WOW! Be sure to watch the entire video.
http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

wow is an understatement.

btw, what do they give the dog as treats?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wild, I got a link to this site in an email from someone at work, I was actually thinking of posting it here but you beat me to it Ivan. It is quite amazing eh, I think ill invest in one to carry my camping gear next year at algonquin park.

1. What is DARPA's BigDog Project?

DARPA's BigDog Project is a research and development program initiated by the United States Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to create a legged robot that can serve as a robotic pack mule for the military.

2. How does BigDog function?

BigDog uses four legs to support and propel itself, similar to animals such as mules or horses. It also has sensors and computerized control mechanisms to maintain its balance and navigate different types of terrain.

3. What is the purpose of BigDog?

The purpose of BigDog is to assist soldiers in carrying heavy loads over rough terrain, reducing the physical strain on soldiers and enabling them to focus on other tasks. It can also be used for other applications such as search and rescue missions.

4. How does BigDog compare to other robots?

BigDog is unique in its ability to navigate difficult terrain and carry heavy loads while maintaining balance. Other robots, such as wheeled or tracked robots, may struggle with these tasks. However, BigDog is still in its early stages of development and is not yet ready for practical use.

5. What are the potential benefits and concerns of BigDog?

The potential benefits of BigDog include its ability to assist soldiers in carrying heavy loads, reducing the risk of injury and fatigue. It could also be used for disaster relief or other applications where heavy loads need to be transported over rough terrain. Some concerns include the potential for BigDog to be used for military purposes, as well as ethical considerations surrounding the use of robots in warfare.