Ray Kroc: McDonalds Founder & Impact on Society

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: Still, "staggering" is the word that comes to mind.In summary, a statistic was displayed that stated 1/4 of UK HIV sufferers don't know they have it. It was also said that this is because our doctors are mean and won't tell patients. Google, which is worth $120 billion, was founded by two Stanford graduate students.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was just watching a show on the biography channel about Ray Kroc - the founder of the McDonalds Corporation. A couple of program enders caught my attention:

One in eight Americans has worked for McDonalds

Throughout the world, the golden arches are a more recognized symbol than the Christian cross.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
One in eight Americans has worked for McDonalds

I guess it's inevitable :rolleyes:

Why should i fight it

*picks up an application*

Did you see the film "Supersized", Ivan? I remember they showed the focus group children pictures of George Washington, Jesus Christ, and Ronald McDonald. Guess who was the most easily recognized?

Math Is Hard said:
Did you see the film "Supersized", Ivan? I remember they showed the focus group children pictures of George Washington, Jesus Christ, and Ronald McDonald. Guess who was the most easily recognized?

Well Ronald McDonald DID help defeat the British... gosh...

I'm pondering whether or not I should go honor our first president by getting a McRib.

Last edited:
Yeah, and when I nominated Ray Kroc for most influential man of the 20th century, they laughed at me. I'm telling you guys, business leaders are and have been more important than politicians for a while now.

I didn't laugh. In fact, if you hadn't suggested him, I would have.

Pengwuino said:
I guess it's inevitable :rolleyes:
Why should i fight it

I've always thought of you more as a BK guy.

BTW, has anyone noticed the new BK commercials with the King? They have this surrealistic quality about them that his quite funny I think.

I love good commercials. :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
I've always thought of you more as a BK guy.
BTW, has anyone noticed the new BK commercials with the King? They have this surrealistic quality about them that his quite funny I think.
I love good commercials. :rofl:

I think they are quite funny. The more surreal the better I think.
Cheers,
Ryan

Math Is Hard said:

I don't mean to nitpick, but who took that picture of Jesus Christ?

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I don't mean to nitpick, but who took that picture of Jesus Christ?:)
Zz.
The guy with the camera obviously!:smile:

DammiT said:
The guy with the camera obviously!:smile:

From the poor quality, I bet it was done using a camera phone!

:)

Zz.

A statistic I saw on a poster in the student union today:

"1/4 of UK HIV sufferers don't know they have it"
Ok, how do they know that? Unless maybe our doctors are just mean, horrible people- "You do have a disease, but no I won't tell you what it is!"

matthyaouw said:
A statistic I saw on a poster in the student union today:
Ok, how do they know that? Unless maybe our doctors are just mean, horrible people- "You do have a disease, but no I won't tell you what it is!"
Even more strange that they use the word "sufferers". These poor people are walking around suffering with absolutely no idea why.

good for you, about time you started paying taxes.. you student heh

Anttech said:
good for you, about time you started paying taxes.. you student heh

Oh well like they say, there's only 2 things gauranteed in life. Taxes and Mcdonalds work experience.

matthyaouw said:
A

How does that even work? How can that be even statistically done?

You can't just grab a sample of people and think "ok this guy has aids ... but this guy doesn't know it". It seems like the only way they could do that is grab a bunch of people off the street, test them all for aids and find out how many people knew and how many didn't. Kinda mean to just go around pricking people :P

The company [Google] began as a project of two Stanford grad students, Larry Page or Sergei Bryn. Today it's worth $120 billion, more than Ford, General Motors, Disney, Amazon, The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal combined, thanks to a stock that has risen from $85 to over $400 since it went public in August of 2004. [continued]
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/cyberspace/july-dec05/google_11-30.html

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh but they don't have any tanglible assets.. the bubble could burst as they say

Anttech said:
yeh but they don't have any tanglible assets.. the bubble could burst as they say

Still, "staggering" is the word that comes to mind.

Pengwuino said:
Oh well like they say, there's only 2 things gauranteed in life. Taxes and Mcdonalds work experience.
I've never worked at a McDonald's (I did work at a Homer Filby's, which was supposed to the sequel to Borden Burger, or whatever it was called).

So, there's only two possibilities - your statement is wrong or this envelope from my employer that I'm holding contains bad...

Still, "staggering" is the word that comes to mind.
Yeh I totally aggree...

Anttech said:
Oh the bubble will burst, painfully I'm sure. Something else will come along. It wasn't that long ago that I did all my searches with alta vista and had never heard of google.

The interview linked covers some of the reasons why Google slaughtered the competition.

The interview linked covers some of the reasons why Google slaughtered the competition.
They have a very astute management team..

Oh the bubble will burst, painfully I'm sure. Something else will come along. It wasn't that long ago that I did all my searches with alta vista and had never heard of google.
I used to use dogpile back in the day, still do sometimes

I don't like dogpile, strictly for personal reasons.

Ivan Seeking said:
Blah blha blah about how McDonald's is bigger than Disney and amazon.com..
McDonald's is bigger because they are better. They have franchises around the world. We all know this, though amazon.com is a world wide web company, not as many people have access to the internet as McDonald's. Disney, though having several amusements parks around the world, do not cater to as many people as McDonald's. We all know this, and no it is not pitiful.

That was about Google, not McDonalds. Also, don't misquote other members.

YEAH, like Ivan said "get your quote's correct"

I went to bed after writing that last post thinking, man, that is the funniest post I've ever written. and it appears I was incorrect.

1. Who is Ray Kroc and what is his role in McDonald's?

Ray Kroc was an American entrepreneur who is known as the founder of McDonald's. He was not one of the original founders of McDonald's, but he joined the company in 1954 and transformed it into a global fast food empire.

2. How did Ray Kroc impact society through McDonald's?

Ray Kroc's impact on society through McDonald's was significant. He revolutionized the fast food industry by introducing the concept of the assembly line, which allowed for quick and efficient food preparation. This led to the widespread availability of affordable, fast food, changing the way people eat and dine out.

3. What was Ray Kroc's business strategy for McDonald's?

Ray Kroc's business strategy for McDonald's was to focus on standardization, efficiency, and consistency. He believed in providing customers with a consistent, high-quality product and experience at every location. He also focused on franchising as a way to expand the business quickly and efficiently.

4. What challenges did Ray Kroc face while building McDonald's?

Ray Kroc faced several challenges while building McDonald's. One of the biggest challenges was convincing the original founders, Dick and Mac McDonald, to sell him the company. He also faced challenges in expanding the business, such as finding suitable franchisees and dealing with competition from other fast food chains.

5. What is Ray Kroc's legacy today?

Ray Kroc's legacy today is that of a successful businessman and entrepreneur who revolutionized the fast food industry. He is credited with turning McDonald's into a global brand with over 38,000 locations worldwide. His business strategies and principles are still used and studied by entrepreneurs and businesses today.