Amazingly simple probability question

• Thread starter msmith12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of at least two people paying out of a group of three individuals, each with a chance of p for paying and 1-p for not paying. The correct approach to finding this probability is by using the binomial probability formula, which takes into account all possible combinations of 2 or 3 people paying. The final probability is represented by the expression \sum_{i=0}^{1}\binom{3}{i}(1-p)^{i}p^{3-i}.
msmith12
I know this is a really easy problem, but i am confusing myself with it...

there are three people who each have two possible actions-pay, or not pay (with symmetric probabilities of p for pay, and 1-p for not pay).

what is the probability that at least two people pay?

I first thought that it was just p^2, but that can't be right because that doesn't take into account the third person... so I then thought that it was 3p^2, because there are three possible combinations of 2 people paying. Is this all I need to do?

thanks

~feeling stupid

Physics news on Phys.org
Just remember binomial probability. The probability that @least 2people pay means either 2 or 3 people pay. Thus, apply the binomial probability formula:
(where p=probability of paying)

[3!/(2!*1!)]*(p^2)*(1-p) + [3!/(3!*0!)]*(p^3)
(As you can see, I don't know LaTex)

If the probability of paying is 50%, then the above expression should amount to 0.5,
meaning that there is a 50%chance that @least two people will pay.

Just elaborating on bomba's reply:
[tex]1=1^{3}=((1-p)+p)^{3}=\sum_{i=0}^{3}\binom{3}{i}(1-p)^{i}p^{3-i}[/tex]
Hence, your probability is:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{1}\binom{3}{i}(1-p)^{i}p^{3-i}[/tex]

arildno said:
Just elaborating on bomba's reply:
[tex]1=1^{3}=((1-p)+p)^{3}=\sum_{i=0}^{3}\binom{3}{i}(1-p)^{i}p^{3-i}[/tex]
Hence, your probability is:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{1}\binom{3}{i}(1-p)^{i}p^{3-i}[/tex]

Hey, can you teach me LaTex? :redface: That'd be great :rofl:

bomba923 said:
Hey, can you teach me LaTex? :redface: That'd be great :rofl:
Click on the images to see how the code is written.

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a standard six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 would be 1 (the favorable outcome) divided by 6 (the total number of outcomes), which equals 1/6 or approximately 0.167.

3. What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations. It may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. How does sample size affect probability?

The larger the sample size, the more accurate the probability calculation will be. This is because a larger sample size provides a more representative sample of the entire population, reducing the impact of chance or outliers.

5. How can probability be applied in real-life situations?

Probability can be used in a wide range of real-life scenarios, such as predicting stock market trends, determining the likelihood of a medical treatment being successful, or calculating the probability of winning a game of chance. It is also used in risk assessment and decision making.