How many houses are currently under construction in Daisy Hill Subdivision?

• Thread starter knowLittle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the pie chart titled "New Construction in Daisy Hill Subdivision" shows that currently 26% of the homes are completed, 42% are under construction, and 32% have been approved but not yet started. When construction is completed in the subdivision, there will be a total of 50 homes. This means that approximately 74% of the homes (or 37 homes) have not yet been completed. The question may have been confusing because it asked for the number of homes not yet completed when construction is complete, rather than at the current moment.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Title of pie chart: New Construction in Daisy Hill Subdivision
Given a pie chart with sections:
Currently Completed: 26%
Currently Under Construction: 42%
Approved, but Not Yet Started: 32%

Question:
When construction is completed in Daisy Hill Subdivision there'll be a total of 50 homes.
Approximately, how many houses have not yet been completed?

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally, I thought that because construction completed in the subdivision meant completely done with labor.
Then, I thought about setting
50 homes -- 26%
x -- 42%
But, apparently that's not the way.

Then, I thought 50 is 100% of construction completed.

Then that 26% * x = 50, and I tried to solve for x to find total amount of houses.
x=192.30.
From 192.30 I tried to get the 42% = 80.76, but that didn't work.

I think that the question is poorly phrased. Anyone agree?

Apparently, the solution is :
74%50 = 37

Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

Title of pie chart: New Construction in Daisy Hill Subdivision
Given a pie chart with sections:
Currently Completed: 26%
Currently Under Construction: 42%
Approved, but Not Yet Started: 32%

Question:
When construction is completed in Daisy Hill Subdivision there'll be a total of 50 homes.
Approximately, how many houses have not yet been completed?

Let's analyze what the previous sentence says: 'When construction is completed ...' suggests that there are still houses to be built or houses which presently are at some intermediate stage of construction, but not necessarily complete. '... there'll be a total of 50 homes' means that the total number of homes in the subdivision will be 50. That does not mean there are currently 50 complete homes in the subdivision, but there will be 50 homes in total when all construction on the subdivision is complete.

'Currently completed' means at this moment, not at some undetermined future time.

I think that the question is poorly phrased. Anyone agree?

Not unless you have trouble with the definition of the words 'currently' and 'total'.

Pie charts are supposed to show the breakdown of a whole quantity into various sub-groups of interest, to illustrate graphically the size of the sub-groups in relation to each other and the whole group. It would be illogical to show the whole group (50 homes) as anything less than 100%, or the entire pie chart.

Likes 1 person
Thank you, I understand now.

1. What is an "Ambiguous GRE Question"?

An "Ambiguous GRE Question" is a question on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) that can be interpreted in more than one way, leading to confusion or uncertainty about the intended answer.

2. How can I identify an "Ambiguous GRE Question"?

An "Ambiguous GRE Question" can often be identified by the use of vague or unclear language, multiple interpretations of key terms, or conflicting information within the question itself.

3. Can an "Ambiguous GRE Question" affect my overall score?

Yes, an "Ambiguous GRE Question" can potentially impact your score if you choose the wrong interpretation and select the incorrect answer. It is important to carefully read and analyze each question to avoid falling into any ambiguities.

4. What should I do if I encounter an "Ambiguous GRE Question" during the exam?

If you come across an "Ambiguous GRE Question" during the exam, do not panic. Take a deep breath and carefully read the question multiple times to understand the intended meaning. If you are still unsure, you can mark the question and come back to it later for review.

5. How can I prepare for "Ambiguous GRE Questions"?

To prepare for "Ambiguous GRE Questions," it is essential to practice with official GRE practice materials and familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the exam. Additionally, developing critical thinking skills and paying attention to details can also help in identifying and answering "Ambiguous GRE Questions" correctly.