Ambiguous Maths

• Thread starter Deagonx
  • Start date
I am wondering about ambiguous use of maths. Is there a clear answer?

When you use parenthesis incorrectly the answer can come very unclear.

For Example:

A / B(C)

Is quite ambiguous. Do you do the division first, or do you do the multiplication because of the juxtaposition.

I placed a question using that formula into WolfRamAlpha, two different Scientific Calculators, my computers built in calculator, and google.

They all ended up with the answer using the division first.

Without arguing, can someone explain to me juxtaposition? Why does it take priority over regular multiplication.

Answers and Replies

That does not answer my question. What exactly is juxtaposition?

Where does it apply in PEMDAS/BODMAS?

gb7nash
Homework Helper
It's ambiguous notation (as you can tell from the poll results from the thread Mark posted), but if you look at the other thread it looks like the consensus is that juxtaposition and multiplication rank equally.

I don't generally trust the consensus.

The term 'juxtaposition' implies being very close to. Hence a(b)
Juxtaposition Multiplication... Does it come before regular multiplication and division?

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't generally trust the consensus.

The term 'juxtaposition' implies being very close to. Hence a(b)
Juxtaposition Multiplication... Does it come before regular multiplication and division?
If the thread didn't answer your question, then you didn't read it. :grumpy: Juxtaposition is ordinary multiplication and multiplication and division together are done left to right. But beware people who adopt nonstandard conventions, and make your own formula clear.