Is there a distinction between positive and negative ambition?

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ambition, specifically negative ambition and its effect on others. The participants also mention the concept of "safe ambition" and how it relates to different motivations, actions, and goals. They also bring up examples from literature, such as Shakespeare's plays, to illustrate the idea of ruthless ambition. Finally, they offer to help with a paper on Richard III and Macbeth.
Dooga Blackrazor
I'm going to finish an essay on Richard III tommorow and it focuses on ambition. I decided to start a topic to get some thoughts on ambition in general.

My theory is that there are no discernable rules for negative ambition at this time. You could say that all ambition that results someone being negatively affected is bad, but that could be argued.

I would say you can discern a type of safe ambition:

Ambition that does not / will not negatively affect others including the one with the pursuit in mind. Arguements? Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
ambition = desire/action. That's always going to upset some balance. I wouldn't choose the term "safe ambition." Would you say Jesus' ambition was a safe one? Because he did proclaimed:
Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the world; no, I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. I came to set sons against their fathers, daughters against their mothers. ... a man's worst enemy will be the members of his own family. ...

I'd say the only safe action/ambition is Buffy the vampire slayer's. Yes, I am obsessed, but that's what comes to mind.

Aristotle (I use Aristotle because of his influence), in Nicomachean Ethics, applies his golden mean to ambition (connecting it with honor and pride- a connection I never really understood, but anyway):
the deficiency = unambitiousness,
the excess = ambition,
the mean = proper ambition.
So a nonnegative kind of ambition has long been recognized.
How you judge an ambition can depend on several factors:
1) it's motivation (desire, greed, love, reason, etc.)
2) it's performance (morally, ruthlessly)
3) it's goal (power, revenge, peace, happiness)
And perhaps others I can't think of now.

In Shakespeare, ambition is usually negative, or excessive, especially in the tragedies. To make the distinction, people often use the phrase "ruthless ambition" to denote the negative kind.
It also usually happens that the more specific the desired object, the more negative the ambition. For instance, the desire to be king vs. the desire to be powerful. The thinking behind this is that as the object becomes more specifc, a person's focus becomes more narrow. And as you focus more narrowly on one thing, everything else gets blurred, including the effects of you actions, your morality, and better judgement.

I share 0TheSwerve0's hesitation in categorizing ambitions by safeness. It doesn't really fit. It seems, by your definition, that you mean "neutral." Is that accurate?

If you want some help on the paper, post it. There was a post just last week, in the homework help forum, from someone doing a Macbeth paper.

Happy thoughts,
Rachel

What is ambition?

Ambition is a strong desire or drive to achieve something, often related to personal or professional success.

How is ambition portrayed in Shakespeare's play "King Richard III"?

Ambition is a central theme in "King Richard III", as the main character, Richard, is driven by his intense ambition to become king at any cost. His actions and decisions throughout the play are motivated by his desire for power and the throne.

What are the consequences of unchecked ambition in the play?

The consequences of unchecked ambition in "King Richard III" are devastating. Richard's ruthless pursuit of the throne leads to the downfall of himself and many others, including his own family members. His ambition ultimately leads to his own demise and the restoration of order and justice in England.

Is ambition portrayed as a positive or negative trait in the play?

Ambition is portrayed as a negative trait in "King Richard III". While it drives Richard to take action and achieve his goals, it also leads to his downfall and the destruction of those around him. The play highlights the dangers of unchecked ambition and the importance of balance and morality.

How does "King Richard III" reflect the societal views on ambition during Shakespeare's time?

During Shakespeare's time, ambition was often seen as a negative trait, as it went against traditional values and the idea of divine rule. "King Richard III" reflects this societal view by portraying Richard's ambition as a corrupting force that ultimately leads to his downfall and the restoration of order and justice. However, the play also suggests that ambition is a natural human desire, and it is the unchecked and immoral pursuit of it that leads to negative consequences.