1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amc 12b #20

1. Apr 6, 2006 #1
    Let [math]x[/math] be chosen at random from the interval [math](0,1)[/math]. What is the probability that [math][\log_{10}(4x)]-[\log_{10}(x)]=0[/math]?

Here [math][x][/math] denotes the greatest integer that is less than or equal to [math]x[/math].

This is multiple choice, but I don't think posting the possibilities are necessary. I would give my input to the problem of course, but I have no idea where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First thing to do, for a given integer n work out the values of x where [log_10(x)]=n.

By the way, you want "tex" in the tags instead of "math".

4. Apr 8, 2006 #3
    Thanks, and I noticed by mixplaced tags as well. I copied this from my post at a site where the [math] tags are used instead of [ tex ] ones. I can't edit it now though, so if a moderator could that'd be nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?