Solve AMC Test Question: Find A, M, and C

• Thread starter cdhotfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving digits A, M, and C to find a specific value, and also discusses finding the middle term of an arithmetic sequence in a five-sided star. Various methods and solutions are proposed by different individuals.
cdhotfire
This is not exatly homework, but it seems the best place to post it.

Let A, M, and C be digits with:

(100A+10M+C)(A+M+C) = 2005

A. 1 B. 2 C. 3 D. 4 E. 5

maybe some one can help me out on this, was one of the test questions i did not know how to do. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see other solution than
[tex] A=4;M=0;C=1 [/tex]

Daniel.

Use the fact that 2005 is written in decimal notation, which is incidently convenient with respect to how the left-hand side is written. Remember how decimal notation is defined. Any ideas ?

wow, i didnt notice that, hmmm, thxs. :smile:

Yeah dex is right. If you look at the range of answers, assuming A, M, and C are all going to be in that range, then 2005 only divides evenly by 5, leaving 401. Quick glance yields 4, 0, and 1.

how about this one:

Three circles of radius [itex]s[/itex] are drawn in the first quadrant of the xy-plane. The first circle is tangent to both axes, the second is tangent to the first circle and the x-axis, and the third is tangent to the first circle and the y-axis. A circle of radius [itex] r > s [/itex] is tangent to both axes and to the second and third circles. What is [itex] r/s [/itex]?

A. 5 B. 6 C.8 D. 9 E. 10

t!m said:
Yeah dex is right. If you look at the range of answers, assuming A, M, and C are all going to be in that range, then 2005 only divides evenly by 5, leaving 401. Quick glance yields 4, 0, and 1.
That is a better method. :smile:

cdhotfire: Here's how I did it.

I drew a line from the center of the large circle to the center of the top small circle (tangent to the first circle and the y-axis) and used that as the hypotenuse for a right triangle with sides (r-3s), (r-s), and (r+s). This makes more sense if you're looking at the diagram. In which case, (r-s)^2 + (r-3s)^2 = (r+s)^2. I just tried each answer, and found r=9, s=1 (r/s=9) to be the one which works. If you're confused, I'll see if I can work up a diagram.

thxs man, that really helped me out. :). How about the star one:

In the five-sided star shown, the letters A, B, C, D and E are replaced by the numbers 3, 5, 6, 7 and 9, although not necessarily in that order. The sums of the numbers at the ends of the line segments [itex]\lin{AB},\lin{BC},\lin{CD},\lin{DE}[/itex] and [itex]\lin{EA}[/itex] form an arithmetic sequence, although not necessarily in that order. What is the middle term of the arithmetic sequence?

http://img103.exs.cx/img103/6466/amc7lx.gif

A. 9 B. 10 C. 11 D. 12 E. 13

Put down the nine arbitrarily. Connect it to the two smallest, 3 and 5. Then to make the 3 connected to the two largest, connect it to 7 in addition to 9. Put the 5 in the remaining spot and you have 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14, with 12 being the middle term.

o i see, i didnt understand the question. :rolleyes: , thxs though. :smile:

1. How do I approach solving an AMC test question?

The best way to approach solving an AMC test question is to first read the question carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, break down the question into smaller parts and use any relevant formulas or concepts to solve it. It is also helpful to eliminate any obviously incorrect answer choices before making a final selection.

2. What is the significance of finding A, M, and C in an AMC test question?

In an AMC test question, A, M, and C typically represent the three variables in a mathematical equation. Finding these variables allows you to solve the equation and arrive at the correct answer to the question.

3. How can I improve my ability to solve AMC test questions?

The best way to improve your ability to solve AMC test questions is to practice regularly. Familiarize yourself with common formulas and concepts tested in AMC questions, and work through various types of problems to improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any strategies for solving AMC test questions quickly?

One strategy for solving AMC test questions quickly is to always read the entire question and all answer choices before starting to solve. This can help you eliminate incorrect choices and narrow down the possible answers. It is also important to manage your time and not spend too much time on one question.

5. How can I check my answers for accuracy when solving AMC test questions?

To check your answers for accuracy when solving AMC test questions, you can plug your final answer back into the original equation to ensure it is correct. You can also re-read the question and answer choices to make sure you have chosen the best option. If possible, it is also helpful to have someone else check your work for any errors or mistakes.