AMD or Intel better ?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
alexkerhead said:
AMD is no longer cheaper for the same performance..

AMD is no longer going on the "bang for buck" idea, they are now trying to directly compete with Intel.
AMD long ago stopped trying to be cheaper than Intel at every performance level, but AMD and Intel still have different price/performance curves, so which is cheaper/faster depends on how much money you are looking to spend. From http://www.pricewatch.com/m/mn.aspx?i=3&f=1 [Broken] , while a P4 3.4 and A64 3400 will cost you about the same ~$285, an XP 300 costs about $100, while a P4 3.0 costs $180.

And as you can see, AMD holds the performance lead in the mainstream desktop market right now, though both have faster limited production chips (P4 EE and A64 FX). Amd's fastest mainstream chip is the 3800, while Intel's is the 3.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
AMD long ago stopped trying to be cheaper than Intel at every performance level, but AMD and Intel still have different price/performance curves, so which is cheaper/faster depends on how much money you are looking to spend. From http://www.pricewatch.com/m/mn.aspx?i=3&f=1 [Broken] , while a P4 3.4 and A64 3400 will cost you about the same ~$285, an XP 300 costs about $100, while a P4 3.0 costs $180.

And as you can see, AMD holds the performance lead in the mainstream desktop market right now, though both have faster limited production chips (P4 EE and A64 FX). Amd's fastest mainstream chip is the 3800, while Intel's is the 3.4.
Here is my main Computer running 3.4GHz with a P4 B, and as you can see, the old B's have a some kick in them..
http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/megaownage2.jpg [Broken]

russ_watters
Mentor
alexkerhead said:
Here is my main Computer running 3.4GHz with a P4 B, and as you can see, the old B's have a some kick in them..
http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/megaownage2.jpg [Broken]
Nice. I run an XP 2500+ overclocked generally to 3200+ speeds (downclocked it a little for the summer though).

russ_watters said:
Nice. I run an XP 2500+ overclocked generally to 3200+ speeds (downclocked it a little for the summer though).
I am glad you like to o/c, it is my hobby, also just recieved a sl6dv P4, so I will be overclocking some uberness soon..
btw, is that 2500 a barton? or a mobile?
if it is, you could do 2.6GHz with it on air, and that would be uber fast..

russ_watters
Mentor
alexkerhead said:
btw, is that 2500 a barton? or a mobile?
if it is, you could do 2.6GHz with it on air, and that would be uber fast..
Barton. Its a little more than a year old. I'm happy with the overclock I'm getting, but I sscrewed up with the motherboard choice: I have an Epox 8rda and its fsb is nowhere near as overclockable as the 8rda+. 190 is my max depending on timings.

russ_watters said:
Barton. Its a little more than a year old. I'm happy with the overclock I'm getting, but I sscrewed up with the motherboard choice: I have an Epox 8rda and its fsb is nowhere near as overclockable as the 8rda+. 190 is my max depending on timings.
still very nice CPU..

I have a 2400 barton running 2.4GHz, but they are not the good ones, what I would like as in AMD would be a 2500 Barton Mobile, with multiplier unlocked..
Got the 2.4GHz up to 3.2GHz on my ASUS board, but I need better mem.

anyone use VIA or Transmeta ?

graphic7
Gold Member
I've had my 1.4ghz Thunderbird for quite awhile now, and I'm *very* satisfied when it comes to performance. Over the years that I've had it, I've seen it outrun a few Pentium 3 and first-generation Pentium 4 processors.

A few years ago, I would've saved Intel for servers and high-end workstations (dual Pentium 3 Xeons are awesome, I know). Now that AMD has the Opteron, my next workstation will be an dual Opterons, of course.

Saint said:
anyone use VIA or Transmeta ?
yuppers, got a VIA C3 650MHz in my server with a passive cooler, and runs 29c when transfering files for two days and folding..

BigStarFish said:
Do you able to tell me what VIA is you are telling ???

Sorry Being interupting. I have realy deep interste in computer chunks and links.
:wink:
not a problem, I am glad you are taking interest..
VIA is the third place competitor in the CPU market, mostly being used for blade servers, etc...
They are the coolest running CPU on market, usually only wanting a passive cooler, and somtimes, like in blade servers, no cooler at all..
My C3 is a Samual core, witha 100MHz bus, with a multiplier of 6.5x.
Here is a 1GHz version(not samual)(it is an ezra), it is on par with the performance of a 600MHz P3, but the C3 does not need any good cooling, I just recommend a passive heatsink..
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CP2-V450-1000 C&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

Last edited:
dekoi
I don't see the big debate. Athlon 64+ 3800 is the best you're going to get at this point and time. If you like Intel or you need it for encoding, office use, etc. then get the Intel P4-560 3.6GHz. Stop debating, and start saving money. :p

dekoi said:
I don't see the big debate. Athlon 64+ 3800 is the best you're going to get at this point and time. If you like Intel or you need it for encoding, office use, etc. then get the Intel P4-560 3.6GHz. Stop debating, and start saving money. :p
AMD opteron fx53 is the best for now(2.4GHz)
and that "technically" competes with a 3.8GHz P4

but there are http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/megaownage2.jpg [Broken]

btw, we were talking about via..^.^

you want to see what you can do with the best componets out there go to www.go-l.com and look around

of course this is assuming price is of no consequence but they are some of the best comps possible

that is some sick stuff, and a cool web design