1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

America for PhD or abroad?

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    Hey all,
    It's getting time for me to start applying to schools for my PhD, looking to pursue a PhD in quantum physics. If given the opportunity should I stay in the US or travel? Relevant info-I'm finishing up my masters at the moment, thesis option.

IR

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2

fss

Since you provide little in the way of actionable information, staying in the US is a fine option for you. So is going abroad. It's a personal decision.

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    How is the situation for people who went abroad for a PhD, and then came back to the States looking for a job, though?

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    A top university abroad is probably just as good as a top university in the U.S.

Where you might have a problem is if you go to a lesser-known university abroad, then employers in the U.S. might not be familiar with the school or your advisor. (The latter is probably more important... finding a job is very much a question of networking, after all.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook