America is a young country

  • Thread starter evthis
  • Start date
  • #76
evthis
franznietzsche said:
Democracy is the theory that the people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

Is this CAPITALISM and not DEMOCRACY of which franznietzche is speaking?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #77
matthyaouw
Gold Member
1,171
5
loseyourname said:
Okay, so I went back to see the original post you were responding to. The claim was the USA was the first democratic country. That claim is true. Athens was not a country.

Apologies, I thought you were taking issue about whether Athens should be considered a democracy due to its status as a nation/not nation. I'd forgotton the wording of the original question and thought we were discussing the first democracy, rather than democratic nation.
 
  • #78
369
3
loseyourname said:
Athens was not a country.
What nonsense is this. What possible argument could you have that Athens was not a country?
 
  • #79
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
1,782
5
Smurf said:
What nonsense is this. What possible argument could you have that Athens was not a country?

Historical facts are not backed by arguments. Athens was a city-state. It spanned no more than several hundred square miles and certainly did not span the Peloponessian countryside.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. If you don't believe that ancient Athens was a city and not a country, go look at an old map or read any of the Platonic dialogues.
 
  • #80
Janitor
Science Advisor
1,107
1
matthyaouw said:
Why should the views of someone of working age with a job be worth more than that of a senior citizen on a pension, a housewife/husband with no income of their own, a student who can't spare the time to get a job, or a low paid worker who doesn't qualify for taxation?...

Certain pensions do accrue income tax liability. Still, the points you bring up are good ones and are probably sufficient to keep the Janitor voting system from ever being implemented.

I have rejected much of my religious upbringing, but I guess parts of it are hard to shed. The Bible says, "The man who does not work ought not to eat." My gut feeling is that this idea is on the right track, with obvious exceptions being made in our modern world for students, retirees, certain types of handicaps, etc. If the writer of that scripture could be brought via time machine into today's world, he might well write, "The man who does not pay taxes to support his government ought not have the power to determine the direction his government is going to take."
 
  • #81
731
6
I've always thought that the reason America is so powerful is because we have so many freedoms. When people are free to do what they want, they usually do the "morally right" thing. the greatest number of people are doing what is right for the greatest number of people. There is a reason why something is called the "right" thing to do, there is a benefit to it. these benefits have added up. Sure the natural resources are great, but any of the OPEC nations can afford all the resources they want.
I also think that we are great because, as Bill Murray said, "we are a mutts" we have the most diverse population on the planet and since, in my opinion, people are mostly good we get what is good about each different culture and all that adds up as well.
 
  • #82
22
0
tribdog said:
I've always thought that the reason America is so powerful is because we have so many freedoms. When people are free to do what they want, they usually do the "morally right" thing. the greatest number of people are doing what is right for the greatest number of people. There is a reason why something is called the "right" thing to do, there is a benefit to it. these benefits have added up. Sure the natural resources are great, but any of the OPEC nations can afford all the resources they want.
I also think that we are great because, as Bill Murray said, "we are a mutts" we have the most diverse population on the planet and since, in my opinion, people are mostly good we get what is good about each different culture and all that adds up as well.


DREAM ON MAN !
 
  • #83
russ_watters
Mentor
20,866
7,373
It just so happens, tribdog, that freedom and prosperity are not just compatible, they are symbiotic. We found the right formula. I agree with everything you said.
 
  • #84
1,495
26
tribdog said:
I've always thought that the reason America is so powerful is because we have so many freedoms. When people are free to do what they want, they usually do the "morally right" thing. the greatest number of people are doing what is right for the greatest number of people. There is a reason why something is called the "right" thing to do, there is a benefit to it. these benefits have added up. Sure the natural resources are great, but any of the OPEC nations can afford all the resources they want.
I also think that we are great because, as Bill Murray said, "we are a mutts" we have the most diverse population on the planet and since, in my opinion, people are mostly good we get what is good about each different culture and all that adds up as well.
Good post Tribdog.
 
  • #85
1,430
5
evthis said:
Is this CAPITALISM and not DEMOCRACY of which franznietzche is speaking?


No its not. That would make no sense.
 

Related Threads on America is a young country

  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
5K
Replies
38
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
2K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
57
Views
5K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
2
Replies
31
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
27
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
4K
Replies
39
Views
22K
Replies
8
Views
3K
N
Top