How did America become a dominant global power?

• Thread starter evthis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Young
In summary, America's dominance can be attributed to a combination of factors such as vast natural resources, a strong Protestant work ethic, and a large influx of immigrants during times of need. Additionally, the US has a powerful military, a high standard of living, and a history of success in engineering and technological advancements. The country's relatively young government and ability to attract talented individuals from other nations also contribute to its dominance. Other nations, such as Germany and Japan, have also risen to power, but the US has maintained its dominance for over 200 years.
misskitty said:
Actually, China and Japan's governments predate many of the European governments, including the time of the Romans. Japan has the longest reigning monarchy, but China has the longest government.
The traditional Chinese form of government was terminated by Ho Chi Min and the communists. So the current Chinese government originated in about 1948.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integral said:
This simply cannot be correct. Britain's monarchy dates back to nearly the Romans and its Parliament to the Magna Carta of 1215, several hundred years before the discovery of the Americas.

SHUT UP ! AMERICA IS # 1 ! :wink:

Even though the Chinese government was terminated by Ho Chi Min, the traditional government still counts as a government. It may not be the longest running consecutive government, but it still counts as a government.

Communism didn't exsist until the early 1900's anyway.

Healey01 said:
I think that America is doing so well because of the rapid low-cost development we've had since our founding. What was the source of this development? Slave labor. I'm not talking about 1800's african slave labor (though that was the start) but the general severe treatment of the working class in america in the early to mid 1900's...

But I cannot think of another country who rose to power without a sever depression of the lower working class. China, Korea, England, France they've all had it in the past during their fuedal periods (which just so happen to be the same as their rise to power).

What do you guys think? Its not about the age of the country, but about their use of the population.
Well, I think most countries went through about the same growing pains during the industrial revolution, so the exploitation of workers wouldn't be enough to explain it.
spender said:
Very small percent of Americans lives in relative finnancial security,the rest lives beoyond European or Japanese standarts,stuck with paying their astronomical credit card debt,car loans and paying up to their necks for visit to the doctor.
Statistics, please.
Integral said:
This simply cannot be correct. Britain's monarchy dates back to nearly the Romans and its Parliament to the Magna Carta of 1215, several hundred years before the discovery of the Americas.
Britain is no longer a "real" monarchy - its government is fundamentally different today than it was when the US was founded. Hence, the US is older than Britain. [explained in detail in post #12]
Actually, China and Japan's govenments predate many of the European governments, including the time of the Romans. Japan has the longest reigning monarchy, but China has the longest govenement.
Japan ceased being a monarchy after WWII.

I thought their family still exsisted even though they don't rule? :confused:

Integral said:

So does american government date back to the 1600s with the formation of colonial governments? No, it dates back to 1783 with the passing of the constitution.

The monarchy is not the ruling government of Britain.

As i understood it, Britain's government in its current form dates to the mid-1800s, but i may be wrong about that.

Either way, we are not among the world's youngest government.

misskitty said:
Even though the Chinese government was terminated by Ho Chi Min, the traditional government still counts as a government. It may not be the longest running consecutive government, but it still counts as a government.

Communism didn't exsist until the early 1900's anyway.

Wait...did you just say Ho Chi Minh terminated the CHINESE government?

Ho Chi Minh was vietnamese...

russ_watters said:
Britain is no longer a "real" monarchy - its government is fundamentally different today than it was when the US was founded. Hence, the US is older than Britain. [explained in detail in post #12] J

Thank you much.

Integral said:
The traditional Chinese form of government was terminated by Ho Chi Min and the communists. So the current Chinese government originated in about 1948.

This is what I was talking about.

I should have quoted that in my earlier post. My bad.

Integral said:

That would be Mao. Ho Chi Minh was vietnamese. Mao founded chinese communism when he drove out Chian Kai-shek.

Mao.

Everybody got it?

Good.

Thanks for the clarification.

One more secret to the American "succes" is to live on borrowed money as no other nation does.Everything in USA is build on credit,budget deficit is astronomical,people just don't save any money instead live on credit. They get into credit card debt, and spend this borrowed cash on JUNK!
America is living beyond its means and sooner or later everything will collapse.What is worse if America sinks countless nations will go down also, Canada going to go down next :cry:

I think the answer to the original question (and regardless of whether the USA is actually a young nation or not) is largely a matter of geographic isolation. Since 1814 when Andrew Jackson defeated the British at New Orleans, no foreign army of any significance has set foot on American soil. At the same time, there have been several large scale wars in Europe. In 1945 for example, most of continental europe had been decimated by WWII while across the ocean the American war machine had spurred its production to an all-time high. Had it not been for Stalin and his brutal modernization tactics coupled with the US fear of communism, it's likely this industrial superiority would have vanished rapidly.

Interesting way to look at it. Never thought of it that way. Its a good point Grogs. I will agree with you on that.

Wmd?

the number 42 said:
Many nations/empires have climbed to the top, but none have ever had 1/ WMDs or 2/ WMDs with a global reach. Those poor Romans had to march everywhere to kick your ass. America may be young, but a gun in the hands of a toddler is still a gun, and may be all the more frightening for it.
--/*

I have a lot to say about the posts that have been made during my abscence and I don't have the time right now to respond to it all but first if someone could please help me to know what WMDs? stand for..

evthis said:
--/*

I have a lot to say about the posts that have been made during my abscence and I don't have the time right now to respond to it all but first if someone could please help me to know what WMDs? stand for..

weapons of mass destruction?

evthis said:
weapons of mass destruction?

Yes. Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical

Is America more of a melting pot of different types or a magnet for similar types?

misskitty said:
Weren't we the first country to have a functional Democratic government?

I think that was ancient Athens.

all this greatness about america is hollow. i mean, the americans are lazy(everyone knows that) and the most hardworking people in america are not even americans, they mostly indian immigrants. and also from other countries.

in fact, just today i was reading in the newspaper, the CEO of intel, has said that if americans don't wake up, India and china will overtake them very quickly. :rofl: :rofl:

he also said," the americans take success for granted, and expect it to come to them. this is not the case in India and china, the people there, work hard for success..." :rolleyes:

Have a look at the "Do americans really work so many hours?" thread, vikasj...

Also, given the fact that India has more than 3x the US's population and China more than 4x, to "overtake" us in absolute terms, they only need to be 1/3 and 1/4 as productive as us. So no, in fact, our "lead" is still quite vast.

Your perceptions are not the reality.

matthyaouw said:
I think that was ancient Athens.

Athens was a city-state. The US was the first nation-state to have a true democracy.

loseyourname said:
Athens was a city-state. The US was the first nation-state to have a true democracy.

rome in the early empire was a limited democracy
are we a TRUE DEMOCRACY TODAY in the USA?
I THINK NOT just a less limited one then rome
as many still can't vote or don't and does the guy with them most votes "WIN"
and ATHENS with its allys and empire was bigger then most nations

ray b said:
The USA is a republic.

ray b said:

Actually, Rome in its early Republic days might be said to be somewhat democratic. There were no popular votes, however. It wasn't nearly as communitarian as Athens was.

Who can't vote? Do you think that a democracy should include children and felons? The electoral college is a bit of an oddity that doesn't seem to have any place in the modern day, but would you really consider it anti-democratic? In every race but the presidential, the guy with the most votes wins. As far as I know, only twice has a president won the electoral college without winning the popular vote.

Only the city-state of Athens was democratic. None of its allies or colonies were represented.

loseyourname said:

You, my friend are mistaken. America is not a democracy. It is a republic. America elects people who will vote for the people. A democracy would allow the people to vote on the issues. Instead we elect people to vote for us. This situation is known as a republic...hence: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God indivisble

To nitpick a little more, a republic is a type of democracy, AKA a "representative democracy."

russ_watters said:
To nitpick a little more, a republic is a type of democracy, AKA a "representative democracy."

I can accept that but what are the fundamental principles that a democracy must include to be considered a democracy?

There have been 2 US Presidents that I regard as being 'idiots':
Eisenhowever and Truman

On June 14, 1954 President Dwight D. Eisenhower approved adding the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance.

The original pledge of October 11th, 1892 was a work of art:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Heck I'll even accept the June 14th, 1923 version:

I pledge allegiance to the
Flag of the United States,
one Nation indivisible,

evthis said:
You, my friend are mistaken. America is not a democracy. It is a republic. America elects people who will vote for the people.

It's a republican, rather than communitarian, democracy. This isn't American Idol. It isn't a very good idea to let everyone push a button to vote on whether or not we will fund a certain program while they watch C-Span. Even Athens had councils. The only difference is that they weren't elected, they simply rotated through the entire population of male citizens.

cronxeh said:
Eisenhowever and Truman

How can you possibly not include Jackson and Harding on that list?

cronxeh said:
Eisenhowever and Truman

On June 14, 1954 President Dwight D. Eisenhower approved adding the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance.

The original pledge of October 11th, 1892 was a work of art:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
one Nation indivisible,

Heck I'll even accept the June 14th, 1923 version:

I pledge allegiance to the
Flag of the United States,
one Nation indivisible,
Adding that line should mean nothing to those who do not believe in God. That line allows those in this country who do hold that belief to say that pledge without compromising their faith. That is separation of church and state, not the state endorsing religion.

loseyourname said:
...Who can't vote? Do you think that a democracy should include children and felons?...

I know I am off-topic, but I sometimes toy with the idea that voting should be reformulated so that every citizen who is eligible to vote under the current rules would be able to cast a vote worth one point. Those who have paid income tax in the previous four years would get, in addition to that one voting point, additional voting points in proportion to the total income tax they have paid in the last four years.

No doubt there are problems with this, but at least I can claim it as an original thought; I have never heard it put forth by anybody else.

evthis said:
I can accept that but what are the fundamental principles that a democracy must include to be considered a democracy?
A democracy is any government where some aspects of it are chosen directly by the people.