How did America become a dominant global power?

• Thread starter evthis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Young
In summary, America's dominance can be attributed to a combination of factors such as vast natural resources, a strong Protestant work ethic, and a large influx of immigrants during times of need. Additionally, the US has a powerful military, a high standard of living, and a history of success in engineering and technological advancements. The country's relatively young government and ability to attract talented individuals from other nations also contribute to its dominance. Other nations, such as Germany and Japan, have also risen to power, but the US has maintained its dominance for over 200 years.
russ_watters said:
To nitpick a little more, a republic is a type of democracy, AKA a "representative democracy."
Calling it by a different name doesn't change the amount of influence a person can have in any given form of government.
russ_watters said:
A democracy is any government where some aspects of it are chosen directly by the people.
How about:
A democracy is any government which contains legal framework providing for any number of aspects of the government in question to be affected directly by the people.

This avoids the nasty loophole of what is 'chosen'

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
A democracy is any government where some aspects of it are chosen directly by the people.

Democracy is the theory that the people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

Janitor said:
I know I am off-topic, but I sometimes toy with the idea that voting should be reformulated so that every citizen who is eligible to vote under the current rules would be able to cast a vote worth one point. Those who have paid income tax in the previous four years would get, in addition to that one voting point, additional voting points in proportion to the total income tax they have paid in the last four years.

No doubt there are problems with this, but at least I can claim it as an original thought; I have never heard it put forth by anybody else.

Why should the views of someone of working age with a job be worth more than that of a senior citizen on a pension, a housewife/husband with no income of their own, a student who can't spare the time to get a job, or a low paid worker who doesn't qualify for taxation?
(I'm not familiar with the American system of taxation, so if I've misunderstood something major here, please correcct me.)

loseyourname said:
Athens was a city-state. The US was the first nation-state to have a true democracy.

There was no unified Greece until relatively recently. A city state was entirely independant, and had no commitment to make to tis neighbours unless it was voluntary (like membership to the Delian League ("Athenian empire"). Yes, the Delian league did turn somewhat corrupt, but when I talk about Athens being the first democracy, I am talking about before the league was formed) so basically, they were like independant countries. I fail to see what difference the words 'nation state' or 'city state' have to who had the first democracy.

and ATHENS with its allys and empire was bigger then most nations

Only the city-state of Athens was democratic. None of its allies or colonies were represented

I assume you are talking abou the Delian League. No, it did not force its political ideals on others, but at the time of its formation, it is to my understanding that it was more comparable to NATO than an empire. It was a co-operation between various city states to pool resources to defeat the Persians, with Athens chosen as the leader due to its superior navy. Unfortunately its ideals did not hold for long and it did turn into something of an empire. Still, Athens was a democracy lonng before these days.

matthyaouw said:
There was no unified Greece until relatively recently. A city state was entirely independant, and had no commitment to make to tis neighbours unless it was voluntary (like membership to the Delian League ("Athenian empire"). Yes, the Delian league did turn somewhat corrupt, but when I talk about Athens being the first democracy, I am talking about before the league was formed) so basically, they were like independant countries. I fail to see what difference the words 'nation state' or 'city state' have to who had the first democracy.

I thought the original statement was that the US was the first stable democratic nation. Maybe I was thinking of something else. Who knows. I wouldn't say it's the end of the world, would you?

I assume you are talking abou the Delian League. No, it did not force its political ideals on others, but at the time of its formation, it is to my understanding that it was more comparable to NATO than an empire.

I didn't call it an empire; Ray did.

Anyway, yeah, there were subnational societies that practiced democracy well before the US. Even many of the New England colonies used the town-hall communitarian form of governance (the settlements themselves, not the entire land-grants).

Okay, so I went back to see the original post you were responding to. The claim was the USA was the first democratic country. That claim is true. Athens was not a country.

franznietzsche said:
Democracy is the theory that the people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

Is this CAPITALISM and not DEMOCRACY of which franznietzche is speaking?

Last edited by a moderator:
loseyourname said:
Okay, so I went back to see the original post you were responding to. The claim was the USA was the first democratic country. That claim is true. Athens was not a country.

Apologies, I thought you were taking issue about whether Athens should be considered a democracy due to its status as a nation/not nation. I'd forgotton the wording of the original question and thought we were discussing the first democracy, rather than democratic nation.

loseyourname said:
Athens was not a country.
What nonsense is this. What possible argument could you have that Athens was not a country?

Smurf said:
What nonsense is this. What possible argument could you have that Athens was not a country?

Historical facts are not backed by arguments. Athens was a city-state. It spanned no more than several hundred square miles and certainly did not span the Peloponessian countryside.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. If you don't believe that ancient Athens was a city and not a country, go look at an old map or read any of the Platonic dialogues.

matthyaouw said:
Why should the views of someone of working age with a job be worth more than that of a senior citizen on a pension, a housewife/husband with no income of their own, a student who can't spare the time to get a job, or a low paid worker who doesn't qualify for taxation?...

Certain pensions do accrue income tax liability. Still, the points you bring up are good ones and are probably sufficient to keep the Janitor voting system from ever being implemented.

I have rejected much of my religious upbringing, but I guess parts of it are hard to shed. The Bible says, "The man who does not work ought not to eat." My gut feeling is that this idea is on the right track, with obvious exceptions being made in our modern world for students, retirees, certain types of handicaps, etc. If the writer of that scripture could be brought via time machine into today's world, he might well write, "The man who does not pay taxes to support his government ought not have the power to determine the direction his government is going to take."

I've always thought that the reason America is so powerful is because we have so many freedoms. When people are free to do what they want, they usually do the "morally right" thing. the greatest number of people are doing what is right for the greatest number of people. There is a reason why something is called the "right" thing to do, there is a benefit to it. these benefits have added up. Sure the natural resources are great, but any of the OPEC nations can afford all the resources they want.
I also think that we are great because, as Bill Murray said, "we are a mutts" we have the most diverse population on the planet and since, in my opinion, people are mostly good we get what is good about each different culture and all that adds up as well.

tribdog said:
I've always thought that the reason America is so powerful is because we have so many freedoms. When people are free to do what they want, they usually do the "morally right" thing. the greatest number of people are doing what is right for the greatest number of people. There is a reason why something is called the "right" thing to do, there is a benefit to it. these benefits have added up. Sure the natural resources are great, but any of the OPEC nations can afford all the resources they want.
I also think that we are great because, as Bill Murray said, "we are a mutts" we have the most diverse population on the planet and since, in my opinion, people are mostly good we get what is good about each different culture and all that adds up as well.

DREAM ON MAN !

It just so happens, tribdog, that freedom and prosperity are not just compatible, they are symbiotic. We found the right formula. I agree with everything you said.

tribdog said:
Good post Tribdog.

evthis said:
Is this CAPITALISM and not DEMOCRACY of which franznietzche is speaking?

No its not. That would make no sense.