Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American Bias Question

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
  2. No

13 vote(s)
  1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    Just a little question to see how biased American education is. Simply answer yes or no, without looking it up.

Do you know who Yuri Gagarin is?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I do, but then I'm not American, so I won't vote!

(BTW, whatever kind of 'test' you're trying to do, I don't think it'll have the results you're looking for among a bunch of physicists!)
  4. Jan 30, 2009 #3

Staff: Mentor

I don't see what this has to do with bias. It's more about education quality - people just don't learn history. So as not to give away the answer, I'll go into that more later...
  5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course I know Yuri Gagarin. To this day, one of the best shortstops ever!
  6. Jan 30, 2009 #5

Staff: Mentor

Anyone who followed the US space program should know about Gagarin.

I believe he made the comment "it ain't over till it's over", with respect to his spaceflight orbiting the earth. :biggrin:
  7. Jan 30, 2009 #6
    Of course I know. I'm old and that creates a bias in the question. You would find much the same result if you asked what Telstar was. Or, where Quemoy is.

But, who was Laika?
  8. Jan 30, 2009 #7

Gold Member

She was a bell who played the horn.
  9. Jan 30, 2009 #8

Science Advisor

According to this, we are statistically biased to the Soviet cold war space program. We all need to go back in for reprogramming.
  10. Jan 30, 2009 #9
    My God, Wolram, that is truly arcane. I grovel at your feet in awe of such a deep reference.

Where do you live that you've heard that?
  11. Jan 30, 2009 #10
    Well, the question should be "Why did the Western press give a dog a name when the Soviet press release used the Russian word for dog "laika""?
  12. Jan 30, 2009 #11

Gold Member

Was Yuri the chess player? I can't remember. I think this is a senility bias question.:grumpy:

What I find interesting is that the author of the following phrase has been known by every Russian I've ever told it to:

Ya znaio schto, ja niechevo nie znaio.
    (I know that, I know nothing)

Of course they always try and start a conversation, not realizing that that is the only thing I know how to say in Russian, at which point I run away.
  13. Jan 30, 2009 #12
    Probably not a wise idea to test physicists on their knowledge of the history of the space age. The average numpty on the street is your best bet. :smile:
  14. Jan 30, 2009 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, every American knows who he is...he's the guy that bends spoons using just his mind :surprised!
  15. Jan 30, 2009 #14
    Boy is my face red. I thought he was the first American in space, beating the Russians by several months.
    By the way, I can melt icecubes using just my mind.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  16. Jan 30, 2009 #15
    Yuri Gagarin was the first Russian to survive a flight into space.
  17. Jan 30, 2009 #16
    No he wasn't actually I think some other guy did it, but he was a drunk or something so they substituted Gagarin as he seemed more idealistic. Least that's the story I heard.

Just goes to show, getting there is only half the battle.

And anyway I think you mean Uri Geller, Gagarin was the spoon bender.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  18. Jan 30, 2009 #17
    Is he the guy from those Shamwow infomercials?
  19. Jan 30, 2009 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That guy was a fraud, not like this guy.

20. Jan 30, 2009 #19
    I love that sketch. :smile: Didn't House look goofy in them days.
  21. Jan 30, 2009 #20
    And who was Belka?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?