Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as gifted

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1
    American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as "gifted"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20756247

Well, I'm an undergraduate freshman and I would say I'm above average (relative to all 18 year olds in Canada). I would also say I'm above average (relative to my peers in my classes at uni because I've revamped my work habits recently). About a year ago, I would say that I was below average (relative to the smart students in my university classes in high school). I think it's just a coincidence that there's a correlation between confidence and how well you do in school. I think decrease in academic ability has to do with the number of distractions readily available these days - we're in a post-productivity age.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 4, 2013 #3
    Re: American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as "gift

The article is confusing.

Then later:

I'm not sure what point is being made at all.

5. Jan 4, 2013 #4
    Re: American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as "gift

That's strange, because William Kremer told me he was better than most journalists.

6. Jan 4, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The great George Carlin did a brilliant bit on the absurdity of the so called self - esteem movement that zooby quoted from the article. I can't link it here as it contains many obscenities but you can easily find it on youtube if you're interested.

7. Jan 4, 2013 #6

According to Wikipedia, he's a comedian.

8. Jan 4, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Yeah so?

9. Jan 4, 2013 #8

I started this thread with the intention of a semi-serious discussion. Typically, comedians stretch the truth or exaggerate something for comedic purposes. I watched it by the way, pretty funny.

10. Jan 4, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Carlin isn't a typical comedian IMO; he is almost always right on the money. I agree with his views on this in particular because I find that boosting self - esteem and confidence is all surface level and it is a meaningless tactic that doesn't prove anything about ability in the long run.

11. Jan 4, 2013 #10

Would you say that the movement would hurt academic performance?

Yeah, I'm not sure why that second quote was in the article there.

12. Jan 4, 2013 #11

Much like Bill Maher. ;)

13. Jan 4, 2013 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, Carlin says it as it is.

14. Jan 4, 2013 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Well if a person gets too confident in him/herself there is always the threat of being kicked in the face by reality and the owing up the fact that simply boosting one's self confidence or esteem will not guarantee a good grade on an exam. If the over - confidence is supplemented with hard work then I'm sure that problem won't be there but over confident people don't in general doubt their "superior" abilities enough to study substantially.

15. Jan 4, 2013 #14

Not any more.

16. Jan 4, 2013 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:frown:

17. Jan 4, 2013 #16

Imagination is often bigger than the reality of the person dreaming of it. Don't let it consume you to the point you are walking around so delusional that you think everything you touch is gold, and everything you say is the objective truth.

18. Jan 4, 2013 #17

What can I say? She used the present tense!

19. Jan 4, 2013 #18

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

George Carlin will always be alive!

20. Jan 5, 2013 #19

jhae2.718

Gold Member

http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/0022-3514.77.6.1121 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  21. Jan 9, 2013 #20

Very well said. Confidence is good when it enables you to put your best foot forward w/o fear of failing. But when it instills a sense of inherent superiority in a person, they often fall on their face since they are not as gifted as they think. I feel that confidence is good to a limited extent, but individuals must understand that extra confidence cannot make up for a lack of natural talent nor lack of effort.

Claude

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook