American doing Post-Grad abroad

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around whether it is a good idea for an American student to pursue post-graduate studies, specifically a PhD, in a country outside of the USA. The speaker mentions their interest in experiencing new cultures and asks for thoughts on the matter. The other person suggests that it depends on the field of study and mentions prestigious universities in the UK, Germany, and Eastern Asia. They also mention considering the opportunities and potential impact on future job applications.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am getting to a point where I'm ready to start thinking about post undergrad (3 semesters to graduation). I go to a highly ranked US university, and I noticed in the USA there are people from all over the world who come to study here, however, the opposite seems to not to occur.

I had been contemplating the thought of doing post-graduate studies (MSc and later on PhD??) in another country, such as somewhere in Europe or South Africa. I was wondering if this would be a mistake, or if I should just stay in the USA. I like going into new cultures (I am currently a foreign exchange student in Hong Kong).

So is there any verdict on an American doing a PhD abroad, it seems so uncommon that it almost feels taboo to talk about...leaving the good ol' USA almost seems treasonous!

Anyways, any thoughts are appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you are studying.
The UK and Germany have prestigious highly ranked universities.
If you are studying engineering Eastern Asia also has some decent universities especially Japan.
But my opinion is to complete your studies in the USA.
Then travel anywhere you like since you are interested in different cultures.

I'm an american studying an M.Sc. in the UK. I'm going to go back to the USA for my PhD, though. If you're purely interested in ranking/prestige I'd stick with the USA. But if you know of a group that is researching in your exact interests it might be worth it to go abroad. I.E. if you went to Cambridge, Oxford, or ETH Zurich you probably would have about the same opportunities as in the USA. But I've also heard that if you want to be a professor in the USA eventually, doing your PhD in another country can harm your application. Take everything into consideration.

1. What are the benefits of doing post-grad abroad as an American?

There are several benefits to doing post-grad abroad as an American. First, it allows you to gain a global perspective and experience different cultures, which can enhance your personal and professional growth. Additionally, studying abroad can also improve your language skills, expand your network, and open up new job opportunities. It can also demonstrate your adaptability and independence to potential employers.

2. How do I choose the right program and country for my post-grad studies?

When choosing a program and country for your post-grad studies, it is important to consider your academic and career goals, as well as your personal preferences. Research different universities and their programs, and make sure they align with your interests and future plans. Consider the cost of living, language requirements, and cultural differences when choosing a country. It can also be helpful to reach out to current or former students to get a better understanding of their experiences.

3. What are the financial implications of doing post-grad abroad?

Studying abroad can be expensive, but there are ways to make it more affordable. Scholarships, grants, and financial aid are available for international students, so make sure to research and apply for them. You can also look into part-time jobs or internships in the country you are studying in to help cover expenses. It is also important to create a budget and stick to it to ensure you don't overspend.

4. How will my degree be recognized and valued back in the United States?

In most cases, your post-grad degree from a reputable university abroad will be recognized and valued back in the United States. However, it is always a good idea to research the accreditation and recognition of the university and program you are considering. You can also reach out to alumni or professionals in your industry to get a better understanding of how your degree will be perceived.

5. How can I make the most of my post-grad experience abroad?

To make the most of your post-grad experience abroad, it is important to be open-minded, embrace new challenges, and step out of your comfort zone. Take advantage of the cultural and academic opportunities available, such as language classes, cultural events, and internships. Also, make an effort to connect with fellow students and locals to build a network and learn from different perspectives.