Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American Icons & Scientists

1. Jun 15, 2006 #1
    In Literature class we were discussing a particular article & the subject came up about American icons. Today, most people look up to sports stars, American Idol, etc. Overall, we seem to lack a modern day Albert Einstein or Sir Isaac Newton. The teacher asked if anyone could name a prominent modern scientist. I thought for sure at least someone would say Stephen Hawking... but the class was silent. Anyway, just curious as to what you all think that says about America. Also, who do you believe are todays prominent scientists?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2006 #2
    i'm not even in the science business (i'm sort of in the math business) & off the top of my head i can think of feynman, wheeler, thorne, pauling, fefferman, witten, jaffe, cohen, quillen...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  4. Jun 16, 2006 #3
    Pauling died years ago...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  5. Jun 16, 2006 #4
    Which is sort of the point, isn't it? Today's most famous scientists, are the dead ones.

6. Jun 16, 2006 #5
    Science popularizers, though, are well known - Dawkins, Greene, Susskind...

7. Jun 16, 2006 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

John Baez is young and a prominent scientist, isn't he?

8. Jun 16, 2006 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?