Who are Today's Prominent Scientists in America?

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
In summary, America lacks prominent modern day scientists. Today's most famous scientists are the dead ones.
kuahji
In Literature class we were discussing a particular article & the subject came up about American icons. Today, most people look up to sports stars, American Idol, etc. Overall, we seem to lack a modern day Albert Einstein or Sir Isaac Newton. The teacher asked if anyone could name a prominent modern scientist. I thought for sure at least someone would say Stephen Hawking... but the class was silent. Anyway, just curious as to what you all think that says about America. Also, who do you believe are todays prominent scientists?

Physics news on Phys.org
kuahji said:
In Literature class we were discussing a particular article & the subject came up about American icons. Today, most people look up to sports stars, American Idol, etc. Overall, we seem to lack a modern day Albert Einstein or Sir Isaac Newton. The teacher asked if anyone could name a prominent modern scientist. I thought for sure at least someone would say Stephen Hawking... but the class was silent. Anyway, just curious as to what you all think that says about America. Also, who do you believe are todays prominent scientists?

i'm not even in the science business (i'm sort of in the math business) & off the top of my head i can think of feynman, wheeler, thorne, pauling, fefferman, witten, jaffe, cohen, quillen...

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
i'm not even in the science business (i'm sort of in the math business) & off the top of my head i can think of feynman, wheeler, thorne, pauling, fefferman, witten, jaffe, cohen, quillen...

Pauling died years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is sort of the point, isn't it? Today's most famous scientists, are the dead ones.

Science popularizers, though, are well known - Dawkins, Greene, Susskind...

John Baez is young and a prominent scientist, isn't he?

What are some examples of American icons and scientists?

Some examples of American icons and scientists include Albert Einstein, Neil Armstrong, Thomas Edison, Marie Curie, and Benjamin Franklin.

How have American scientists contributed to society?

American scientists have made countless contributions to society, including advancements in technology, medicine, space exploration, and environmental conservation. Without their work, our world would not be as advanced or developed as it is today.

What qualities do American icons and scientists possess?

American icons and scientists often possess qualities such as curiosity, determination, creativity, and a passion for learning. They are also usually hardworking, innovative, and influential individuals who have made a significant impact on society.

What challenges have American scientists faced in their careers?

American scientists have faced numerous challenges in their careers, including funding limitations, political interference, and skepticism towards their research. They have also had to compete with other scientists and face the pressure to constantly produce groundbreaking discoveries.

How can we honor and support American icons and scientists?

We can honor and support American icons and scientists by acknowledging their contributions, promoting their work, and advocating for scientific research and education. We can also make an effort to stay informed about current scientific developments and support organizations that fund and support scientific endeavors.