American Journal of Science

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of retrieving old articles from American Scientific Journals and the request for an electronic version of the article "Influence of motion of the medium on the velocity of light" published in 1886 in the American Journal of Science by Michelson and Morley. The conversation also mentions the possibility of accessing the article through a university library or through a website, with a request for an update if a PDF version is found.
Myst
Hello.

Sorry, it's quite a double post with my previous one, but I hope you can help me.

I found nearly impossible to retrieve very old articles from American Scientific Journals. At least the Physical Review has its own archive, for a terrible price of $ 20 per article.

But I'm desperately trying to find "Influence of motion of the medium on the velocity of light" published in 1886 in the American Journal of Science (AJS) by Michelson and Morley. It is volume XXXI, p.377-386.

I looked up on AJS website, but their archive database dates back to 1945 only.

If anyone could provide me with an electronic version of the original article, or at least a place where to find / buy the oldest issues of AJS, or even a link to a website / a searcher who may have the article, I would be very grateful.

Thanks !

PS : Fizeau's experiment is in itself a very good proof of SR, all the more interesting as it was first meant to justify Fresnel aether's drag coefficient, and that only Einstein's SR was able to explain it correctly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Myst said:
Hello.

Sorry, it's quite a double post with my previous one, but I hope you can help me.

I found nearly impossible to retrieve very old articles from American Scientific Journals. At least the Physical Review has its own archive, for a terrible price of $ 20 per article.

But I'm desperately trying to find "Influence of motion of the medium on the velocity of light" published in 1886 in the American Journal of Science (AJS) by Michelson and Morley. It is volume XXXI, p.377-386.

I looked up on AJS website, but their archive database dates back to 1945 only.

If anyone could provide me with an electronic version of the original article, or at least a place where to find / buy the oldest issues of AJS, or even a link to a website / a searcher who may have the article, I would be very grateful.

Thanks !

PS : Fizeau's experiment is in itself a very good proof of SR, all the more interesting as it was first meant to justify Fresnel aether's drag coefficient, and that only Einstein's SR was able to explain it correctly.

Here: http://www.aip.org/history/gap/PDF/michelson.pdf

nakurusil said:
Here: http://www.aip.org/history/gap/PDF/michelson.pdf

Well, no, this is the original Michelson & Morley experiment, not the repetition of Fizeau's one.
But thanks. :smile:

Hi Myst,
To my surprise, I was undergoing the same kind of desperation, for exactly the same reason.
All I could get was http://ajs.library.cmu.edu/
You can surely find it putting something like "michelson" on the search box.
First time I tried there was an error message but they fixed it, apparently.
Not sure yet if it is downloadable, though.
Let me know if you manage to get it in pdf.
Cheers,
Beto

What is the "American Journal of Science"?

The American Journal of Science (AJS) is the oldest scientific journal in the United States, first published in 1818. It is a peer-reviewed, multidisciplinary journal that publishes original research in the natural sciences, including earth sciences, physics, chemistry, and biology.

How often is the "American Journal of Science" published?

The American Journal of Science is published monthly, with 12 issues per year. Each issue typically contains several research articles, as well as reviews and commentary on current scientific topics.

What types of articles are published in the "American Journal of Science"?

The American Journal of Science primarily publishes original research articles, which report the results of scientific experiments or studies. It also publishes reviews, which summarize and analyze current research in a specific field, and commentary articles, which offer perspectives on recent scientific developments.

Who can submit articles to the "American Journal of Science"?

The American Journal of Science accepts submissions from scientists and researchers from around the world. Authors must follow the journal's guidelines for formatting, ethics, and originality, and their articles are subject to peer review by experts in the field.

Is the "American Journal of Science" open access?

No, the American Journal of Science is a subscription-based journal, meaning that readers must pay a fee to access its content. However, some articles may be available for free through open access options, such as the journal's website or institutional repositories.