Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American made computer?

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    Are there any computer makers out there that make and assemble everything in America? I've been reading more about computer products that are made in China that are being implanted with malcious code in order to spying purposes. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy spook, but wouldn't it be wiser to make sure the equipment I use during grad school is clean, especially if anything we discover in the lab end up becoming IP?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2
  4. Aug 16, 2011 #3
    Assembled and all parts made in the US.

5. Aug 16, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Do you have examples of where this has been found to be true? Mainstream publications, not blogs or conspiracy websites.

6. Aug 16, 2011 #5
    Just watched a dateline program on cyberware fare. Quite interesting. They interviewed one guy who was in charge of scanning all the new equipment bought and used in high security areas of the government and he estimated that 10% of all the code found in new computing equipment coming into the facilities were implanted with malicious code specifically designed for spyware purposes.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/08/7043349-us-official-says-pre-infected-computer-tech-entering-country [Broken]

And I will be doing work in biotech that will probably be of considerable interest if there are ever good results.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Aug 16, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There's a good chance China had nothing to do with it... that is, if a Dateline story could even be considered credible.

8. Aug 16, 2011 #7
    Also, it wasn't that long ago when some consumers noticed that digital picture frames came preloaded with malware:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11499

(security focus is owned by symantec and is also includes a former Dept. of Justice prosecutor for cybercrimes as one of it's writers so it isn't some crazy blog).

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...cted_digital_picture_frames?source=rss_news50

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. Aug 16, 2011 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why on earth is the US gov, buying computers from China?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  10. Aug 16, 2011 #9
    Because it is cheap and part of free trade?

Actually that would be an amazingly brilliant strategy, undervalue your currency to dominate economically and get the US addicted to your imports. Package those imports literally with trojan horses that could cripple the entire infrastructure or reveal secrets. Once you've dominated economically, it would then be easy to dominate militarily if you could crash your opponent's entire infrastructure.

I mean these reports that are starting to come out that are finding preinstalled spyware in consumer electronics are really only the examples of the ones that have been caught. Who knows how much infected electronics are really out there. How much have foreign made products infiltrated our way of life? It's really a scary thought.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  11. Aug 16, 2011 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who builds in China thought? Taiwan and Korea are where all your computers come from.

12. Aug 16, 2011 #11

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt any real spyware or malware is being directily implanted by foreign sources. It would be much easier and effective to 'forget' to close security holes. Plausible deniability is the name of the game.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook