Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American Muslim scholars condemn terrorism

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

more at CNN - American Muslim scholars condemn terrorism

But then they have been saying this all along and the mainstream media has pretty much ignored it.

Fatwa excerpt
    from JournalNews.com - American Muslim scholars condemn terrorism

British Islamic clerics have also issue fatwas against suicide bombing and attacks on innocent civilians, as have Islamic clerics in other countries.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You could also add that just about every secular academic in the Muslim world have said this all along, but their voices have been studiously ignored..:frown:

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3
    This link is saying that the Chairman of the Fiqh Council and several CAIR officials have links to terrorism

The Counterterrorism Blog

Some extracts

If this is true, then the condemnation is essentially bogus.

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Its nice to see, but its a bit of a tautology, Astronuc: since America is enemy #1 of Islamic terrorists, for an American Muslim to say he's against terrorism/extremism is redundant: if he wasn't against terrorism/extremism, he'd have never come to the US in the first place.

What I'm more interested in seeing is people in muslim countries denouncing terrorism, in the same way that a KKK rally in the US gets ten times as many people marching against it than for it.

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Try secular intellectuals like that Iranian woman who won the Nobel Peace Prize a few years ago.

Unfortunately, secularism is regarded with extreme suspicion in many muslim countries, and this is, I believe one of the major reason why unhealthy forms of religious fundamentalism thrive in many Moslemic countries, apart from other societal/economic reasons.

I.e, the fact that the West went through a secular Enlightenment period also limited the possible degenerate outgrowths of Christianity.

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6
    To add to this. One of the signers of the fatwa is Fawaz Damra (Scroll to the bottom of the list of signers or simply search for his name)

http://www.cair-net.org/downloads/fatwa.htm

In 1989 he declared
    http://news.tbo.com/news/MGB5AT9XMBE.html

He may have changed but I highly doubt it.

8. Jul 29, 2005 #7
    Russ how did you come to that conclusion? It is possible that Muslims come to America to spread Propoganda for Al-queda

9. Jul 29, 2005 #8
    I'm still waiting for the Million Muslim March- but I'm only hearing crickets chirp...

10. Jul 29, 2005 #9

GENIERE

Science Advisor

A fatwa is not acceptable in the US. Every citizen of the US is bound to the laws of the US. A fatwa is not an answer to a problem it is the problem.

11. Jul 29, 2005 #10
    Why are you laughing at my statement? Do you honestly think that NO Al-queda would ever come to America to spead propoganda?
    And yeh I am serious... Surf if you believe my statement as sooo funny, tell em why? Dont just be a pr*k... I can give my reasons why I think otherwise:

Why the hell are the borders in America so massively policed?? Job security? No Becuase Extremest terrorist coming into USA via normal channels is a threat, these people could very much spread propganda...

Its Sheer Arogance to think that America is above this, How on earth do you think the 11/7 attacks happened? --- By Extreemests, knocking on the white house/home land security with al-queda ID's saying "hey sorry I didnt tell your customs but I am actually here to terrorise you, and train others to terrorise you?"

Also may I add, why do you think the "Homeland security agency was set up?

This statement is redundant, its like saying that EVERYONE who comes to America is there for a good reason, and is Definetly not there to perform atrocities against America.

Well the proof is in the Fact that the Twin Towers were Attacked internally by people living in America!

edit: Well I must say if that isnt a personal attack from smut towards me, then I dont know what is, I was only asking for the reason behind Russ's staement, am I not allowed to with out being chastised by surf?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  12. Jul 29, 2005 #11

russ_watters

No. Few, if any al Qaeda would come to the US to spread propaganda. To hijack airplanes, yes, spread propaganda, no. But this is besides the point - the number of Islamic radicals in the US probably numbers in the low thousands - the number of ordinary citizens who are muslim numbers in the millions. The radicals are a relatively insignificant fraction (and of those, more are American radicals than Middle-Eastern -ie, "The Nation of Islam").

Anttech is right, though Smurf - that was uncalled for.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  13. Jul 29, 2005 #12

russ_watters

Same tautology as above: women are oppressed in the Middle East. It is unsurprising for an oppressed person to oppose her oppressor.

14. Jul 29, 2005 #13
    Not to mention that if they're 'secular' they're not gonna be religious fanatics are they.

15. Jul 30, 2005 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So, russ, what you find missing, are condemnations of terrorism from people who defend terrorism?
    And, don't use concepts you obviously don't know what means, in this case "tautology".

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  16. Jul 30, 2005 #15

Lisa!

Gold Member

And how isn't she afraid of her oppressor? And how can she get the nobel prize when she's oppressed all her life?
    And do you know where she's living now and what she's doing now? Imean is she still alive?

17. Jul 30, 2005 #16
  18. Jul 30, 2005 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

19. Jul 30, 2005 #18

russ_watters

No, what I find missing is condemnations of terrorism from non-terrorist Muslims who live in the middle-east. Where are the anti al Qaeda protests in Saudia Arabia? Where are the anti Hamas protests in Syria?

What I find missing is condemnation of terrorism from people whom the terrorists are supposedly fighting for: the people of the middle east. Ie, the KKK is an organization of white christian Americans. The people who you find protesting against the KKK are white christian Americans.
    Tautology: uselessly redundant. It is uselessly redundant to say someone who is against terrorism is against terrorism.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  20. Jul 30, 2005 #19

russ_watters

I didn't say anything about whether she was afraid of her oppressor, nor did I say anything about her Nobel Prize. :confused: :confused: That has nothing to do with this conversation.

21. Jul 30, 2005 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

:bugeye: For sure you didn't. But you always say Muslems are terrorist. And when arildno brings her as an exapmle of a muslems who doesn't live in US but she's condemned terrorism. You say it's not surprising if she opposes her oppressor.
    So I say "why isn't she afraid of other Muslems and say whatever she wants freely?".Then you say women are oppressed in middle-east! It's a bit surprising that a woman who has been oppressed all her life, could get a Noble Prize. What you're saying is confusing!
    Ok Let's forget about that. Suppose you're right about Muslems in Middle-east countries, now what shoul have been done about them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?