Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American or British accents

1. American

25.0%
  2. Australian

25.0%
  3. British

37.5%
  4. Canadian

12.5%
  5. Irish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jamaican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. New Zealand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Scottish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. South African

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone.:smile:
    Anybody knows there are many typs of "accents" in the English language, but the main focus is usually on American and British Accents.
    I really want to know how would UKers react to american accent speaking callers and vice versa, In addition I've hearded British accent is more acceptable in the world, especially in the world outside US.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know that if you travel from New York to Boston, you will pass through about one dozen distinct accents. If every accent in the English language is identified, the number will be in the thousands.

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On the other hand, how many international callers are choosing the english selection in the language menu?

5. Jun 12, 2007 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd much rather hear a British accent than an American one.

However, there's so many different types of unique "British" accent that I think it's daft to try and cover them all by using one word. I could probably distinguish between about 25 different "British" accents, a linguist could probably distinguish a whole load more.

Not all British accents sound like Emily off Friends! :tongue:

6. Jun 12, 2007 #5
    none sound more refined than the Newfoundland accent though. IMO

7. Jun 12, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I prefer British accents, but that's probably because I'm used to them. However, some American accents sound a lot better than some of the regional UK accents!

8. Jun 12, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends what British accent you have on how helpful it is when travelling. I didn't think I had much of an accent but many European countries i've been to mistake me for being German from the accent.

9. Jun 12, 2007 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I prefer the Dorset accent of southwest England.

Thanks to Robert Newton (from Dorset), all movie pirates copy the Dorset accent.

Though, I have to admit, I was fairly crushed when I found out pirates never actually said, "Arrrr, mateys!" :frown:

10. Jun 12, 2007 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They don't?!! :cry:

11. Jun 12, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

OMG! Next, somebody's going to claim they didn't say "Avast" or "Shiver me Timbers"! My world is destroyed.

12. Jun 12, 2007 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

13. Jun 12, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Cool!! I am a pirate captain!

14. Jun 12, 2007 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Warning, don't read the Pirate Nerd thread at work. :redface: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. Jun 12, 2007 #14
    I can like, speak fluent Californian. It's like, totally the best accent there is in like all the english, man. I mean, dude, how are you supposed to understand someone who is from like, Texas or whatever when they're all like "howdy y'all" ahah oh and they're all like, wierd and everything.

Californian.

16. Jun 12, 2007 #15
    Nobody answers my question:cry: I want to know how British people feel about American accent and vice versa?
    I've heard that people prefer British to American even in US, right?

17. Jun 12, 2007 #16
    I heard some people speaking in like, a british accent and everything over the summer. it was like... ok haha

maybe i should stop with the accent.

18. Jun 13, 2007 #17
    Most American Accents sound nasal, to me. However my Favorite (American accent) is the New York accent, it is unique, bit like that City...

19. Jun 13, 2007 #18
    i prefer the british accent more, it's more... classy, don't you think?

and the manchester accent sounds so... (hmm whats the best word to describe it)... buff/sexy/fit? :wink:

20. Jun 13, 2007 #19
    :uhh: dude, its just an accent. would a 500 pound guy with french fries in his hands be sexy if he spoke with that accent?

21. Jun 13, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

In the 60's, the Liverpool accent sounded like $$$$$$ here in the US.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?