American or British style Democracy?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary: The British, on the other hand, revel in the absurd, whether it be the pompous ministers or the convoluted voting system. In summary, the British system of governance is better because it is more humorous.
wasteofo2
Which form of Democracy do you think is better, the American style or the British style?

The differences I'm looking to contrast in this thread are specifically that in America, you have a President who is elected by the people of the whole country and is the chief executive officer, and you have a separate Congress which is elected by States or smaller Congressional districts. In England, if I'm not mistaken, all they have as far as National elections are local Parlaimentary elections. Whichever party wins a majority gets to "form a government", as in choosing a chief executive officer, and since they have a majority, they have most control over the governments actions in general.

In America, it is set up so the Legislative and Executive branches check each other, and the Legislature can easily be controlled by a different party than the Executive branch. In England, it is seemingly set up so the Legislative and Executive branches work together, since the majority legislative party essentially forms the government to their likings.

So what do you think is the superior system of governance?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didnt vote, and no absolutely sod all about how the governement works. But i think that you vote for a party to run the national governement (labour) and then you can vote for the same party or a different party (lib dems) locally. I'm not sure though never really bothered to pay any attention to the election campaign.

I don't know which system is superior, but judging from my many viewings of the "Yes, Minister" television series, the British system is certainly the funniest.

jma2001 said:
I don't know which system is superior, but judging from my many viewings of the "Yes, Minister" television series, the British system is certainly the funniest.

Yes, in spite of many well-remembered sidesplitters, us USans don't have much of a sense of humor about our government.

Related to American or British style Democracy?

1. What is the difference between American and British style democracy?

American and British style democracy refer to the two main systems of government in the United States and the United Kingdom, respectively. The main difference between the two lies in their structure and processes. American democracy is based on a federal government with a separation of powers between the legislative, executive, and judicial branches. On the other hand, British democracy is a parliamentary system with a fusion of powers between the legislative and executive branches.

2. How do the election processes differ between American and British style democracy?

In American style democracy, the president is elected through an electoral college system, where citizens vote for representatives who then vote for the president. In contrast, the British style democracy follows a parliamentary system, where citizens vote directly for their representatives in the House of Commons, and the leader of the party with the most seats becomes the prime minister.

3. What role does the monarch play in British style democracy?

The monarch in British style democracy is a symbolic figurehead with limited political power. They serve as the head of state, but their role is primarily ceremonial and they do not have the authority to make or veto laws.

4. How does the legislative process differ between American and British style democracy?

In American style democracy, the legislative branch (Congress) has the power to propose, debate, and pass laws. The president also has the power to veto legislation, which can be overridden by a two-thirds majority vote in Congress. In British style democracy, the legislative branch (Parliament) has the power to make laws, and the prime minister and their cabinet have significant influence in the legislative process.

5. Which system of democracy is more common globally?

American style democracy is more common globally, as many countries have adopted a similar federal government structure with separation of powers. However, British style democracy has also been influential, especially in former British colonies and countries with a parliamentary system of government.