Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American Physical Society

1. Dec 1, 2004 #1
    Is it worth it to join? I don't know how much it is for undergrad students, but I don't want to pay or sign up for something that isn't worth it/scam (I don't think it's a scam, of course, just that it's not worth it). I think you get a choice of a magazine as well, which one would be best?

Please don't link me to their website as i'm reading it now, I just want some general information from people who have heard of them or are members or something.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read Zapper's journal, you might also want to pm him as I think he's a member of the APS, or at least he's very famlair with the soceity:

4. Dec 1, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a student member. I think it's about 25 bucks a year and for a Grad Student (me) it's almost mandatory. You get Physics Today with your subscription, which is quite useful as well.

If you're an undergrad majoring in Physics in your junior or senior year, I think it's definitely worth it. If you're working on a research (or REU) project with a professor, he/she might allow/require you to present any new work at a conference. To attend any of the APS conferences, you need to be a member...and if you have the smallest chance of attending a conference, take it. You won't regret the experience.

If you plan on going to Grad School, it might help your resume (maybe just a little) to have an APS membership.
  5. Dec 1, 2004 #4
    Thanks everyone! I'm a bit confused, however. On the application site: https://www.aip.org/forms/sps_mbrapp.html I am asked to "Please join the AIP Member Society of your choice:" What exactly is that? Which one is the most common to join? Does it affect anything, namely getting the Physics Today journal (or is that separate)?
  6. Dec 2, 2004 #5
    The AIP (American Institute of Physics) is an umbrella organization composed of representatives from each of its member organizations. You don't actually join AIP, but instead you join one of their member organizations. Which one you join depends on what you're interested in. If your interest is in physics education, AAPT is going to be the obvious choice. Conversely you're not going to join OSA if your interest is in solid state physics. If you don't have any particular interests yet, go with APS. Each organization will have it's own set of benefits, journals, meetings, etc.
  7. Dec 2, 2004 #6
    I understand now. Can you explain the difference between Physical Review A-E. Is it just different topics?
  8. Dec 2, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, different areas :

A : Atomic/Molecular/Optical Physics
    B : (Hard) Condensed Matter/Materials Physics
    C : Nuclear Physics
    D : Particle/Astrophysics
    E : Statistical Physics/Non-linear systems (incl. soft cond. mat.)
  9. Dec 2, 2004 #8
    OK thank you very much everyone, now I have all the basic information I think i'll need! It'll be interesting to get a magazine and see what's going on in physics (though I doubt i'll understand more than 1% of anything).

Hrm... which physical review would be most interesting? All of them look inticing... thoughts? :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?