American soldiers used uranium bullets

• Thread starter AnthreX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uranium
In summary, the American soldiers used uranium bullets because it is denser than other bullets and it kills tanks. People are concerned about the radioactive material in the bullets, but it is not a major concern.
AnthreX
i heard that in the war between iraq and america
the american soldiers used uranium bullets.

why is that ? is it because its very dense ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anti Tank "bullets" are made from depleted Uranium, Yes their density is a key factor. I do not think that these are used by foot soldiers but are Tank or aircraft ammo.

cool..

say a i shot a uranium bullet to a tank with a rifle like ( M4 )
and would they go through ? or shatter into pieces on contact,
if they do shatter into pieces are they radioactive ?

i hope they are not shooting radioactive bullets there
it wouldn't be such a nice thing to do...

AnthreX said:
say a i shot a uranium bullet to a tank with a rifle like ( M4 )
and would they go through ? or shatter into pieces on contact,
if they do shatter into pieces are they radioactive ?
No, typical foot-soldier's bullets are not uranium tipped. The most common are the 30mm shells of the A-10 Warthog tank killer.

i hope they are not shooting radioactive bullets there
The bullets are radioactive, but not very much. The chemical hazards/properties are worse than the radiological ones and those are only marginally worse than lead. There is a common knee-jerk reaction of people assuming them to be highly radioactive - as if all levels of radioactivity were the same.

For more info on radiological and chemical properties/risks, see THIS thread.

russ_watters said:
No, typical foot-soldier's bullets are not uranium tipped. The most common are the 30mm shells of the A-10 Warthog tank killer.

The bullets are radioactive, but not very much. The chemical hazards/properties are worse than the radiological ones and those are only marginally worse than lead. There is a common knee-jerk reaction of people assuming them to be highly radioactive - as if all levels of radioactivity were the same.

For more info on radiological and chemical properties/risks, see THIS thread.

funny, I would have thought the tissue damage would be the main concern :tongue2:

1. What are uranium bullets?

Uranium bullets are a type of ammunition that contain depleted uranium, a heavy and dense metal. They are used in certain types of weapons, primarily in armor-piercing rounds.

2. Why do American soldiers use uranium bullets?

American soldiers use uranium bullets for their armor-piercing capabilities. These bullets are able to penetrate through thick armor and are therefore effective against heavily armored targets.

3. Are uranium bullets harmful to humans?

There is a debate about the potential health effects of uranium bullets on humans. Some studies suggest that exposure to depleted uranium can lead to long-term health problems, while others argue that the level of exposure is not significant enough to cause harm.

4. Do other countries use uranium bullets?

Yes, some other countries such as Russia and Israel also use uranium bullets in their military operations. However, the United States is the largest producer and user of these types of bullets.

5. What is the controversy surrounding the use of uranium bullets?

The use of uranium bullets has been controversial due to concerns about their potential environmental and health effects. Some argue that the use of these bullets contributes to the spread of radioactive materials, while others argue that the risk is minimal and the benefits outweigh the potential harm.