1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools American trying to go to UK university

1. Jul 14, 2005 #1
    I guess I'm the new kid on the boards and was wondering how difficult it would be to be taught by stephen hawking or roger penrose. I'm interested in theoretical physics and mathematics so damtp at cambridge seemed like a good choice. I am pretty sure that neither of them teaches an undergrad program so do you recommend going to the same school for undergrad and grad studies or should I try somewhere like UCB for undergrad then go to the UK for grad studies.

More:Anyone think Trinity in Dublin is a good choice?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2005 #2
    I don't know much about UK Universities, but I do know two important things:

First, you should never go to a department because they have one professor with a big name. Having a big name does not mean the professor is a good fit for you and what you want to research. Instead when going to grad school try to set up corrrespondence with some of the professors doing what you want to do and figure out which departments have people doing what you want to do.

Also, you should usually go to two seperate places for under grad and grad school. That way you'll get two different opinions on the matter, work in two different situations etc. I know people who go to the same school and it worked well for them, but the general strategy is to go somewhere different.

4. Jul 14, 2005 #3
    So for undergrad do you think UCB is a good choice? I 've also heard Illinois has a good physics program.
  5. Jul 14, 2005 #4
    they're both really good.
  6. Jul 17, 2005 #5
    But you're sure that departments would not make a good choice later in my academic career?
  7. Jul 18, 2005 #6
    Yes. It is a extremely good choice.
  8. Jul 18, 2005 #7
    Do you think trinity has the facilities of the other universities/colleges?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?