Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American universities.

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    I'm looking for a university in America that has a good technology and physics departments. I have BS in physics and EE and I'm looking for a school for further studies(preferably in physics).

I was eyeing Berkeley, and I called and asked. They said it was around 45.000$ per year for an international graduate student.

What financial aids are available and what aids are students using who go to these schools?

Can you get a scholarship purely based on grades or pay for your studies by assisting teachers and grading homework or something..??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2

eri

Did you call the physics dept at Berkeley, or just Berkeley in general? If you're enrolling as a PhD student in physics, you should get your tuition waived and be paid a small salary for teaching and/or doing research for them while working on your PhD. If you do not get this offer from a school that's accepted you, you shouldn't go there.

However, Berkeley is a top university and very difficult to get into, not to mention one of the most expensive cities to live in in the US. Your stipend can't cover everything. I suggest looking into a lot of other schools as well.

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply. Did not know that SF was one of the most expensive ones.

Concernig other schools, I'm open for suggestions. There are alot of people on this board who have studied physics in the states.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  5. Sep 2, 2010 #4
    You need this book.

http://www.aip.org/pubs/books/graduate.html [Broken]

The good thing about US grad schools is that there are a lot of schools to choose from, and if you have a decent background, you'll get in somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 2, 2010 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Or look at

http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/ which appears to have pages from that book on line. It may not be the most up to date version, but it should help you find universities that do research in specific fields.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook