Americans are fat?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
First of all, you americans have a more distorted vision of us europeans than we have of you. this is mainly because you are not educated to care about any other nation than your own. Most of you have probably seen as many europeans as I have seen black people, that is 2 or 3. We on the other hand are taught a lot of "unuseful" stuff like the history and caracteristics of all cultures. America's history is the shortest one. Hell, my ancestors have lived on this land since forever and I mean well before Christ.
Let's get to reasons.
1. Talking to other romanians living abroad, the ones in America are the worst criticists of the food. I quote one of them: "these tomatoes taste like rubber". By comparison one guy in Germany said you can find such tomatoes in Germany too, but you can also find ones that taste almost as natural as those your grandparents used to give you from their garden as a child. They are more expensive but they EXIST.
2. If you think europeans die poor you are sadly mistaking (unfortunately it's true in my country). A friend told me the welthiest people in France are old retired people with a couple of tens of thousands of euro in the bank and a pension (state or private) which is more than enough for them to live a good life. Students are poor all over the world.
3. We eat when we're hungry and not when it's time and we don't chew on crackers and chips all day long
4. Integral, if that's you in the picture, you should work a litlle on you upper body, but you'll live. The simple rule I know is you weigh as many kg as you have cm over 1m, meaning you are 15 or so kg heavier than you should. I on the other hand am the opposite. I'm about 20 kg below my height.
In conlusion my best guess is that your food is treated (there are a lot of stories about growth hormons) and you only go jogging thinking that will do. Try short sprints, try climbing trees, try something out of the ordinary to get the adrenaline flowing and your heart pumping (in a pleasant way).

Originally posted by Sonty
First of all, you americans have a more distorted vision of us europeans than we have of you. this is mainly because you are not educated to care about any other nation than your own. Most of you have probably seen as many europeans as I have seen black people, that is 2 or 3. We on the other hand are taught a lot of "unuseful" stuff like the history and caracteristics of all cultures. America's history is the shortest one. Hell, my ancestors have lived on this land since forever and I mean well before Christ.
Let's get to reasons.
1. Talking to other romanians living abroad, the ones in America are the worst criticists of the food. I quote one of them: "these tomatoes taste like rubber". By comparison one guy in Germany said you can find such tomatoes in Germany too, but you can also find ones that taste almost as natural as those your grandparents used to give you from their garden as a child. They are more expensive but they EXIST.
2. If you think europeans die poor you are sadly mistaking (unfortunately it's true in my country). A friend told me the welthiest people in France are old retired people with a couple of tens of thousands of euro in the bank and a pension (state or private) which is more than enough for them to live a good life. Students are poor all over the world.
3. We eat when we're hungry and not when it's time and we don't chew on crackers and chips all day long
4. Integral, if that's you in the picture, you should work a litlle on you upper body, but you'll live. The simple rule I know is you weigh as many kg as you have cm over 1m, meaning you are 15 or so kg heavier than you should. I on the other hand am the opposite. I'm about 20 kg below my height.
In conlusion my best guess is that your food is treated (there are a lot of stories about growth hormons) and you only go jogging thinking that will do. Try short sprints, try climbing trees, try something out of the ordinary to get the adrenaline flowing and your heart pumping (in a pleasant way).
See this is the typical distorted european view of americans. They hold thier heads high in disdain at the americans. You're absolutely generalizing, which of course is a byproduct of prejudice, so no offense taken.

If I were easily swayed by rumors and innuendos and other falsehoods, I might be inclined to believe that all romanians are sheepherders who wouldn't know technology if it came up and zapped them. Luckily, I'm a bit more enlightened. It's completely untrue that americans are not taught about other cultures. I had quite a few world history and civics classes. Furthermore I'm about as familiar with the french culture as one can get without actually going there. It was integrated into my language studies. And I've seen many many europeans FYI. Not only here in the US, but abroad as well.

I might add that not every single American has bad eating habits, as no doubt not every single european is fit. And I define overweight by your same standards- meaning over the BMI- or 20+ pounds over ideal weight. I usually work around 50 hours and week, and I STILL find time to excerise. And I don't mean jogging. I mean a REAL workout. Also Europeans tend to smoke more than americans. Especially in England. Americans as a whole, are moving away from that.

As for Europeans dying poor, I never said that. I did however say that Americans tend to make more money, accounting for economies of scale. Ands actually at this point both the UK pound and the euro are more valuable than the dollar. But of course things cost more here. Over there a BMW can be had for a few thousand american dollars. Here it is more than the average american makes in a year. And for us to retire on 10 or 20 thousand american dollars would be absolutely impossible. Our society prevents it. Even living as frugally as possible in a very poor area, 20k USD would not last even a year. It would not be acceptable to anyone. We work our butts off because if we DON'T then we end up POOR and dependant upon the state, which is not a favorable thing when you are elderly, and need to depend on someone else to take care of you. In most cases people don't retire weathly, but are lucky if we can retire to a modest income and not have to depend on the government to support us. It's a well known fact here, which it sounds like you're unfamiliar with, that a very large percentage is of the american wealth is owned by a very lower percentage of americans- say 30 percent of american wealth being owned by the top 5 percent of wealthy americans. The rest of us just scrape out a living.

All I see you doing here is spreading a lot of rumors that either some basis in fact, little basis in fact, or absolutely no basis in fact. So I have to ask. How many americans do you actually know? And I mean personally, one and one, not on the internet. I've never been to Romania, but I can tell you I have actually met and gotten to know some Romanians, and hungarians, and french, and german, and spaniards. How many cultures have you interacted with? Europeans are quick to despise americans, but when it suits thier needs they suddenly befriend us. Everyone is quick to judge america, but no one ever remembers the upside. The help we offer, the assistance we provide. In world distasters, we are always among the first to offer a lending hand, or our services, or our aid. So when romania has an earthquake, or a war, or some other distaster, who will come to your aid? The grossly overweight, greedy, selfish, self-centered americans who don't care about anyone else in the world..Or maybe not next time?

In MY conclusions, europeans certainly have a skewed picture of americans(if indeed you are representative of the collective opinion). And it's based soley on the bitterness that Sonty is so obviously representing here. And hey, we may be overweight, but at least we're friendly! UNLIKE YOU.(And by "you" I mean Sonty

How's THAT for international relations?:wink:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zantra
You're absolutely generalizing, which of course is a byproduct of prejudice, so no offense taken.

so is almost everybody in this americans are ..... / oh, no europeans are .... threads.

It's completely untrue that americans are not taught about other cultures. I had quite a few world history and civics classes. Furthermore I'm about as familiar with the french culture as one can get without actually going there....

Europeans are quick to despise americans, but when it suits thier needs they suddenly befriend us. Everyone is quick to judge america, but no one ever remembers the upside.
see what I mean......

PS: why can't we just get along??? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
so is almost everybody in this americans are ..... / oh, no europeans are .... threads.

see what I mean......

PS: why can't we just get along??? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Apologies to all for my outburst. I have no preconcieved notions when it comes to other cultures.I rely on facts, not innuendos, but when someone else judges me on a rumor, it annoys me.

Disclaimer: What I've said doesn't necessarily apply to all europeans, but I'm directing it at Sonty who obviously needs to learn a bit more about Americans.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
but at least we are talking eh?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that many Americans do have tunnel vision in international affairs. I feel this happens in large part due to the geography involved. Unlike European nations, we are very removed from the world by two very large oceans. This is surely changing [not the oceans but the isolation]. :wink:

Also, we really do get a lot of resentment from other cultures that I think is often not understood.

Gosh, I'm making a habbit of being misunderstood when I first enter forums!

Listen, when you'll find me saying the stuff you're putting in my mouth in the last part of your message send someone to shoot me. It probably means I'm suffering and I have no way back to life. I mean it.

First of all a litlle translation: "you americans"="America has the highest percentage of" or "everybody seems to".

eNtRopY said he took mainly "financial" courses. I remembered the bunch of polls the romanian community or the press did among europeans and americans, which showed very few of them knew what you, Zantra, seem to know about us. Then I wrote the part about being educated to care about others.

What do you consider worse: working 50 h/week for 30 years to have the many to live for another 10-15 or working those 30 or 40 hours and depending on the government for a little under the medium wage in those last years?

You would be inclined to think we are all sheepherders? From a metaphorical point of view you might be right... You know why I'm not representative of the collective opinion? I don't expect or want anything from America. I'm not expecting pity, nor free rides, NOTHING. It's not that I hate America or because I'm too proud to take help, but because I like to do everything that I can with my own forces. The vast majority thinks of you as a big sack of money waiting to be picked up. That's kinda state policy. Our government seeks investors to invest in all sorts of bad deals for the guys responsible with the corruption to make a living. There are very few, but they deserve the highest honours, that try make a break for themselves here. Maybe I'll have to try that myself sometime...
You know why you're not representative? Because you're one of the few who work their asses, and you too deserve the same honours, to make a break in your country. think of the kids you grew up with. Where are they now respective to you?

You think I'm bitter and unfriendly? I'm not an enemy. I don't confuse the government policy with what the american people thinks like some arabs do (on the old version of physicsforums I remembered I got into such a debate also with people from that part of the world). I know because here everybody says all politicians are stupid and corrupt, but they still vote for them. Seems familiar? We don't rule our own country the same as you don't.

I haven't met a lot of foreigners in my lifetime. You want to know why? It's because I'm 20 and because I can't travel a lot. Imagine living with 150-200 dolars a month like me and my mother do (providing we own our apartment).

Last edited:
Gosh, I'm making a habbit of being misunderstood when I first enter forums!

Listen, when you'll find me saying the stuff you're putting in my mouth in the last part of your message send someone to shoot me. It probably means I'm suffering and I have no way back to life. I mean it.

First of all a litlle translation: "you americans"="America has the highest percentage of" or "everybody seems to".
I'm gathering from this that you're saying that americans are generalizing? Not sure because it doesn't make sense to me. Rephrase please.

eNtRopY said he took mainly "financial" courses. I remembered the bunch of polls the romanian community or the press did among europeans and americans, which showed very few of them knew what you, Zantra, seem to know about us. Then I wrote the part about being educated to care about others.
Ok so your main exposure to americans is through the media. And we ALL know the medias ALWAYS truthful and unbaised;)

What do you consider worse: working 50 h/week for 30 years to have the many to live for another 10-15 or working those 30 or 40 hours and depending on the government for a little under the medium wage in those last years?
I'm a self-sufficient person, so I'd rather not have to depend on the government. Plus, in america we don't have that option. Government support is not much above minimum wage. Not how I want to spend my retirement years.

You would be inclined to think we are all sheepherders? From a metaphorical point of view you might be right... You know why I'm not representative of the collective opinion? I don't expect or want anything from America. I'm not expecting pity, nor free rides, NOTHING. It's not that I hate America or because I'm too proud to take help, but because I like to do everything that I can with my own forces. The vast majority thinks of you as a big sack of money waiting to be picked up. That's kinda state policy. Our government seeks investors to invest in all sorts of bad deals for the guys responsible with the corruption to make a living. There are very few, but they deserve the highest honours, that try make a break for themselves here. Maybe I'll have to try that myself sometime...
You know why you're not representative? Because you're one of the few who work their asses, and you too deserve the same honours, to make a break in your country. think of the kids you grew up with. Where are they now respective to you?
America isn't a big sack of money waiting to be picked up. It's called opportunity. It is there, but only if you're willing to work for it. That doesn't mean Uncle Sam is standing there at the statue of liberty on Ellis island handing out stacks of bills as you come into America. It means that if you're willing to work hard, you will be rewarded for your hard work. I can't vouch or my peers, only myself. You get out of life exactly what you put into it. And that's a universal truth, not an American one.

You think I'm bitter and unfriendly? I'm not an enemy. I don't confuse the government policy with what the american people thinks like some arabs do (on the old version of physicsforums I remembered I got into such a debate also with people from that part of the world). I know because here everybody says all politicians are stupid and corrupt, but they still vote for them. Seems familiar? We don't rule our own country the same as you don't.
I think a lot of Europeans do tend to be swayed by thier governments opinions. As soon as you walk up to them and they hear an american accent, you can watch the expressions on thier faces change in an instant. I never said you were an enemy, but when you come onto these boards say americans are all fat, selfish, and self-centered I feel compelled to correct you.

I haven't met a lot of foreigners in my lifetime. You want to know why? It's because I'm 20 and because I can't travel a lot. Imagine living with 150-200 dolars a month like me and my mother do (providing we own our apartment).
:wink:

Bottom line is that you can't generalize americans any more than I can generalize erupoeans. Everyone is unique and different. I don't have a sack of money under my bed, and you probably don't have sheep running through your house. I work my butt off because the cost of everything keeps going up. That's how our economy is driven, and how our productivity keeps increasing. But like anything, there is a price to pay. If I could work 30-40 hours a week, believe me I would. I'd much rather not be working, but like many americans, my options ARE limited. So we just do the best we can, as I'm sure you do.

Last edited:
One thing Zantra, a BMW in England can cost anywhere from £30,000 upwards, is alot of money not many people earn 30k in a year. In continental europe the prices are alot cheaper dont think its as cheap as you think but it is alot cheaper.

Originally posted by Andy
One thing Zantra, a BMW in England can cost anywhere from £30,000 upwards, is alot of money not many people earn 30k in a year. In continental europe the prices are alot cheaper dont think its as cheap as you think but it is alot cheaper.
Ya I was exaggerating. It's just naturally cheaper for them because it's a domestic car. I think you could probably get a new BMW for 20k USD which would normally be 40K. THough in all fairness not many people here can afford a BMW either. Prices start at 40K USD and go up(I believe that's about 25,000 pounds?) The statistics I believe I saw where that only 30 percernt of americans earn more than 30,000 USD per year.

Last edited:
I'm gathering from this that you're saying that americans are generalizing? Not sure because it doesn't make sense to me. Rephrase please.

I'm mean I never said or thought this (and I hope I never will):

Europeans are quick to despise americans, but when it suits thier needs they suddenly befriend us. Everyone is quick to judge america, but no one ever remembers the upside. The help we offer, the assistance we provide. In world distasters, we are always among the first to offer a lending hand, or our services, or our aid. So when romania has an earthquake, or a war, or some other distaster, who will come to your aid? The grossly overweight, greedy, selfish, self-centered americans who don't care about anyone else in the world..

America isn't a big sack of money waiting to be picked up. It's called opportunity. It is there, but only if you're willing to work for it. That doesn't mean Uncle Sam is standing there at the statue of liberty on Ellis island handing out stacks of bills as you come into America. It means that if you're willing to work hard, you will be rewarded for your hard work. I can't vouch or my peers, only myself. You get out of life exactly what you put into it. And that's a universal truth, not an American one.

Gee, let me think... Yes it is. When you don't know what WORK means you see America and every other westerner as a big sack of money, a big cow waiting to be milked. There was a saying before 1989 in Romania: "We fake working, they fake paying us". It's because of this nobody wants to hire people over 40-45. They are educated in that spirit. If you have a business where you can hire only young people you have a chance to survive on the market. The whole industrial environment is populated with old people. Nobody seems to want to buy those industrial giants that technologically wouldn't require astonishing investments, but educating the people would bring bankruptcy.
I bet you didn't know this.

I think a lot of Europeans do tend to be swayed by thier governments opinions. As soon as you walk up to them and they hear an american accent, you can watch the expressions on thier faces change in an instant. I never said you were an enemy, but when you come onto these boards say americans are all fat, selfish, and self-centered I feel compelled to correct you.
I'll tell you another saying from these parts: "When two folks say you're drunk go to sleep".
I'm not the only one that says a lot of americans have a problem with food. I'm not the only one to say you have a tendency to be shortsighted. You have a good excuse in what Ivan said earlier. Geographically you are pretty far away and tend to limit your interests between those two oceans. Probably it's not intentional. I probably would do the same if I were born there.
On the other hand I think I can detect some envy in our international politics today. That's where all the roumors start from.

Bottom line is that you can't generalize americans any more than I can generalize erupoeans. Everyone is unique and different. I don't have a sack of money under my bed, and you probably don't have sheep running through your house. I work my butt off because the cost of everything keeps going up. That's how our economy is driven, and how our productivity keeps increasing. But like anything, there is a price to pay. If I could work 30-40 hours a week, believe me I would. I'd much rather not be working, but like many americans, my options ARE limited. So we just do the best we can, as I'm sure you do.
You earn in a month more than a romanian earns in a year. You do have a sack of money under your bed.
I'm self sufficent too. I probably will take the hard (and exciting "no safety line") way and work my ass to manage my own life and be as independent as posiible. Me and you are not that different, we just live in the same Universe and don't know it.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Integral:

There are some "official" defunitions of obese. I believe it is something like anything greated then 20lbs ~ 8kg over the insurance charts. I am 6'3" tall ~190cm according to the charts I should weigh 186lbs, well I weigh 240lbs so clearly I am well over the obese limits.
Intregral, may I say that you are most definetely not obese? Again, overweight doesn't count as obesity. You seem to be a very hard worker and have a lot of muscles (which are heavier than fat), I don't think your body type is that abnormal.

The following are examples of obesity:
obese.jpg

http://www.spinaweb.ie/showcase/1017/images/obese2.gif [Broken]
http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1998/jan/jan_art/obese.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
kat
Integral, Monique-
I think the CDC(center for disease control) defines overweight as BMI 25.0–29.9 and Obese as BMI greater than or equal to 30.0.
At any rate, being overweight is quickly becoming a global issue, and although the U.S. still tops the charts Europe, Germany and the U.K. inparticular are catching up fast!

Sonty-Are you aware that for most families in the U.S. 100 to 150 dollars a month would not even cover their property taxes for that apartment, IF they were to own it? and if they were not the owners..the rent would so far exceed that 100-150 dollar amt that they would definately be homeless if that is all they had to depend upon?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I plugged the numbers into the calculator, I am underweight and Integral's information is bordercase overweight/obese.. but the calculator doesn't take into account the muscle/fat distribution so I hold my point :)

And Sonty/Kat, money means totally different things in different countries, so comparison is very difficult. I myself have lived in a one-bedroom apartment in the US and the rent of the unit was $703 per month..

Gee, let me think... Yes it is. When you don't know what WORK means you see America and every other westerner as a big sack of money, a big cow waiting to be milked. There was a saying before 1989 in Romania: "We fake working, they fake paying us". It's because of this nobody wants to hire people over 40-45. They are educated in that spirit. If you have a business where you can hire only young people you have a chance to survive on the market. The whole industrial environment is populated with old people. Nobody seems to want to buy those industrial giants that technologically wouldn't require astonishing investments, but educating the people would bring bankruptcy. I bet you didn't know this.
Nope, you're right I didn't.

I'll tell you another saying from these parts: "When two folks say you're drunk go to sleep".
I'm not the only one that says a lot of americans have a problem with food. I'm not the only one to say you have a tendency to be shortsighted. You have a good excuse in what Ivan said earlier. Geographically you are pretty far away and tend to limit your interests between those two oceans. Probably it's not intentional. I probably would do the same if I were born there.
On the other hand I think I can detect some envy in our international politics today. That's where all the roumors start from.
I too, detect some international envy. When you comment that the US has no interest in you, what are you referring to? Business? I don't own a business I work for someone else, so I can't say. Tourism? Well Romania isn't much in the way of tourism, but If I were in Europe, I'm sure there are some castles I would like to see.

You earn in a month more than a romanian earns in a year. You do have a sack of money under your bed.
I'm self sufficent too. I probably will take the hard (and exciting "no safety line") way and work my ass to manage my own life and be as independent as posiible. Me and you are not that different, we just live in the same Universe and don't know it. [/B]
You also have to account for economies of scale, which is something I think you're not realizing. While I may earn more in a month than someone there does in a year, I also pay more for goods and services as a result. It's not as if I earn this money then everything here is price the same as in romania. How much is a gallon (2.5 liters?) of milk there? I bet it's 1/25th of what it costs here. Goods are price according to what the country's economy can sustain. I probably pay enough money on housing in one month, that a romanian could live off it for a year. When I finish paying off my bills, believe me I'm not hoarding a sack of money. More like a sack of rolled coins:frown:

Yes sonty, fat or no, sheep or no, perhaps we are all more alike then we realize

Last edited:
I too, detect some international envy. When you comment that the US has no interest in you, what are you referring to? Business? I don't own a business I work for someone else, so I can't say. Tourism? Well Romania isn't much in the way of tourism, but If I were in Europe, I'm sure there are some castles I would like to see.

No. I don't care much about business. I'm more interested in the human side of this. The ordinary american is only now beginning to find out where my country is located. He doesn't know what kind of language I speak, what kind of food I eat, etc, etc, and he thinks I'm still in the 13th century and he has nothing to learn from me. We're all humans living on a small planet. We should know each other. As a first thing we should learn how to work from you and you should learn adaptability from us.
Castles? Forget the castles man. Come see the mountains and the sea. there are astonishing things to see where there aren't many people involved. It's not New Zealand, but in some places it comes close. plus there's (rare) stuff here that dates back to when the egyptians were buiding pyramids...

You also have to account for economies of scale, which is something I think you're not realizing. While I may earn more in a month than someone there does in a year, I also pay more for goods and services as a result. It's not as if I earn this money then everything here is price the same as in romania. How much is a gallon (2.5 liters?) of milk there? I bet it's 1/25th of what it costs here. Goods are price according to what the country's economy can sustain. I probably pay enough money on housing in one month, that a romanian could live off it for a year. When I finish paying off my bills, believe me I'm not hoarding a sack of money. More like a sack of rolled coins:frown:

The "red" generation kind of educated itself to judge a man by his incomes, not by his economic balance. I believe you because I know that stuff. 2,5 liters of (I suspect a little watered down) milk costs about 1$. My "provider" is an old lady who lives in the country a few km from my city, owns two cows and twice a week she comes by bus into the city to sell milk. Your provider is probably the local super-market therefore the difference in price. How much is a gallon of milk if you would buy if from a cow owning farmer?

kat
No. I don't care much about business. I'm more interested in the human side of this. The ordinary american is only now beginning to find out where my country is located. He doesn't know what kind of language I speak, what kind of food I eat, etc, etc, and he thinks I'm still in the 13th century and he has nothing to learn from me.
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for quite a few...many of us became painfully aware of much about Romania when we began veiwing the horrid conditions of your orphans and raising funds and putting a large amount of time and energy into helping them.
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading what your saying but it seems alittle self centered and childish to be upset that Americans, who have plenty of their own to worry about aren't informed enough about your particular lifestyle. Particularly since in reading what you are saying about US, you're not particularly well informed about Americans either.

The "red" generation kind of educated itself to judge a man by his incomes, not by his economic balance. I believe you because I know that stuff. 2,5 liters of (I suspect a little watered down) milk costs about 1$. My "provider" is an old lady who lives in the country a few km from my city, owns two cows and twice a week she comes by bus into the city to sell milk. Your provider is probably the local super-market therefore the difference in price. How much is a gallon of milk if you would buy if from a cow owning farmer?
Living somewhat out in the country as I do, I am fortunate to be able to purchase milk from the farm...interesting enough it is not cheaper then buying from the super market (which purchases milk from the large milk companies). In fact, I pay almost a dollar more per gallon then I would at the grocery store. BUT the milk at the grocery store is definately thin and watery compared to the farmers milk. (not to mention not a drop of cream on the top!:wink: ) I am paying 3.79 per gallon (3.7 liters) BTW.

Last edited:
Originally posted by kat
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for quite a few...many of us became painfully aware of much about Romania when we began veiwing the horrid conditions of your orphans and raising funds and putting a large amount of time and energy into helping them.
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading what your saying but it seems alittle self centered and childish to be upset that Americans, who have plenty of their own to worry about aren't informed enough about your particular lifestyle. Particularly since in reading what you are saying about US, you're not particularly well informed about Americans either.
[/B]
See? This is what I'm talking about when I say your view of us is more distorted than ours is of you. You characterize us by more irrelevant things than we do. What do you think would be more easily to spot: a relatively fat american for an european or a homeless orphan child in Romania for an american here? Foreigners come to us expecting to find third world people. Imagine their surprise when they find normal (like them) people. I see the same beggars everyday. They are indeed children and sometimes (rarely) see their parents. The parents are the ones that make them beg, they collect the money and they're actually leaving a good life (from their point of view). Almost all of them are gypsies. I'm not going to get into a long and boring discussion about gypsies here, but I can tell you bringing this entire community to legal work would be definitely harder than giving the entire Harlem a college education.

Originally posted by Monique
I plugged the numbers into the calculator, I am underweight and Integral's information is bordercase overweight/obese.. but the calculator doesn't take into account the muscle/fat distribution so I hold my point :)
The body mass index ceases to have too much relevance once you start getting above 6ft or below 5ft. The simple rules of squaring(etc) are only an approximation to a curve.

I'm butting in without having read all the pages, so forgive me if I post anything somebody else already posted...

I'm just shocked at entropy's "conclusion" that Americans are fatter because they have to work more. I don't know where you were when you were in Europe, but I seriously doubt Europeans work less.

You might be interested in this fascinating article on obesity in America by BBC, though...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/115270.stm

Apart other things, here's what it says (but do read the whole thing!):

Karen Donato, who helps co-ordinate obesity education at the NHLBI, said people were eating more, exercising less, and being fooled by "low fat" foods.

"When people read labels, they're more likely to notice what's low fat and 'healthy' but may not be looking at calories," she said.

In addition to the extra calories being taken in, Ms. Donato said, culprits in the national weight gain include "too much time sitting at our computers, driving the car, watching television and taking the elevator instead of the stairs."

By the way, I think the world would be a better place without Americans "helping" everybody, like "freeing" the people of Iraq. If they have so much money to use for war, help and whatever, perhaps they should first consider doing something to help stop the global warning, which would actually include some discomfort. But Americans will only resort to that when hell freezes over... or the Earth is so ****ed up it's not fit for living anymore...

Last edited:
kat
Originally posted by Tail
I'm butting in without having read all the pages, so forgive me if I post anything somebody else already posted...

I'm just shocked at entropy's "conclusion" that Americans are fatter because they have to work more. I don't know where you were when you were in Europe, but I seriously doubt Europeans work less.

Using the most recently available data, the ILO has determined that the average Australian, Canadian, Japanese or Mexican worker was on the job roughly 100 hours less than the average American in a year -- that's almost two-and-a-half weeks less. Brazilians and British employees worked some 250 hours, or more than five weeks, less than Americans. Germans worked roughly 500 hours, or 12-and-a-half weeks, less than careerists in the States
Study: U.S. employees put in most hours

You might be interested in this fascinating article on obesity in America by BBC, though...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/115270.stm

Apart other things, here's what it says (but do read the whole thing!):

Karen Donato, who helps co-ordinate obesity education at the NHLBI, said people were eating more, exercising less, and being fooled by "low fat" foods.

"When people read labels, they're more likely to notice what's low fat and 'healthy' but may not be looking at calories," she said.

In addition to the extra calories being taken in, Ms. Donato said, culprits in the national weight gain include "too much time sitting at our computers, driving the car, watching television and taking the elevator instead of the stairs."

Yes, I've always considered this to be one of the greatest (in a crooked sort of way) marketing ploys ever! Although, the "diet" soft drink ploy with ingredients that make you dehydrate and increase your weight gain might be slightly more brilliant...in that same crooked sort of way.....

See? This is what I'm talking about when I say your view of us is more distorted than ours is of you. You characterize us by more irrelevant things than we do. What do you think would be more easily to spot: a relatively fat american for an european or a homeless orphan child in Romania for an american here? Foreigners come to us expecting to find third world people. Imagine their surprise when they find normal (like them) people. I see the same beggars everyday. They are indeed children and sometimes (rarely) see their parents. The parents are the ones that make them beg, they collect the money and they're actually leaving a good life (from their point of view). Almost all of them are gypsies. I'm not going to get into a long and boring discussion about gypsies here, but I can tell you bringing this entire community to legal work would be definitely harder than giving the entire Harlem a college education.
So in YOUR opinion, someone's weight is more relevant than weather or not they are homeless? I guess you do have different priorities over there. No one's ever to my knowledge, referred to Romania as a 3rd world country. I've been to a 3rd world country, and I do know the difference.

Now let's for a second "get real" as we say..Ok the last 4 pages have basically been about trying to insult americans about thier weight as a whole. I don't think it's in debate that americans are overweight. I also don't think it's in debate that we are NOT lazy, and that we are very productive. So you basically are equating weight with laziness, even though it's not accurate, and kind of "tacking that on", once you've started rolling.

Do Europeans obsesss this much about American's health? I mean honestly. Saying "you're fat so hah!" is about what I'd expect in grade school.

Other than the fact that we're overweight, does anyone have any VALID issues or generalizations about Americans?

Last edited:
Saying "you're fat so hah!" is about what I'd expect in grade school.
just to make sure everybody sees that :smile:

So in YOUR opinion, someone's weight is more relevant than weather or not they are homeless? I guess you do have different priorities over there. No one's ever to my knowledge, referred to Romania as a 3rd world country. I've been to a 3rd world country, and I do know the difference.
Do I speak a different english?
I meant you are sure to see a lot more overweight (ok fat is politically correct) people in America than you are two see orphan children in Romania.

Other than the fact that we're overweight, does anyone have any VALID issues or generalizations about Americans?
Let's stick to this one.The two of us already seem to have ruined the thread.