Why is there a stereotype of Americans being fat compared to Europeans?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the stereotype of Americans being fat in Europe and the possible reasons for this phenomenon. The speaker first considers food and exercise as potential factors, but ultimately concludes that the difference lies in leisure time. Europeans tend to work fewer hours and have more time for active hobbies, while Americans are often too tired to do anything besides watch TV. The conversation also touches on the economic success of America and the societal emphasis on money and productivity.
Originally posted by Zantra
I'm gathering from this that you're saying that americans are generalizing? Not sure because it doesn't make sense to me. Rephrase please.

I'm mean I never said or thought this (and I hope I never will):

Europeans are quick to despise americans, but when it suits their needs they suddenly befriend us. Everyone is quick to judge america, but no one ever remembers the upside. The help we offer, the assistance we provide. In world distasters, we are always among the first to offer a lending hand, or our services, or our aid. So when romania has an earthquake, or a war, or some other distaster, who will come to your aid? The grossly overweight, greedy, selfish, self-centered americans who don't care about anyone else in the world..

America isn't a big sack of money waiting to be picked up. It's called opportunity. It is there, but only if you're willing to work for it. That doesn't mean Uncle Sam is standing there at the statue of liberty on Ellis island handing out stacks of bills as you come into America. It means that if you're willing to work hard, you will be rewarded for your hard work. I can't vouch or my peers, only myself. You get out of life exactly what you put into it. And that's a universal truth, not an American one.

Gee, let me think... Yes it is. When you don't know what WORK means you see America and every other westerner as a big sack of money, a big cow waiting to be milked. There was a saying before 1989 in Romania: "We fake working, they fake paying us". It's because of this nobody wants to hire people over 40-45. They are educated in that spirit. If you have a business where you can hire only young people you have a chance to survive on the market. The whole industrial environment is populated with old people. Nobody seems to want to buy those industrial giants that technologically wouldn't require astonishing investments, but educating the people would bring bankruptcy.
I bet you didn't know this.

I think a lot of Europeans do tend to be swayed by their governments opinions. As soon as you walk up to them and they hear an american accent, you can watch the expressions on their faces change in an instant. I never said you were an enemy, but when you come onto these boards say americans are all fat, selfish, and self-centered I feel compelled to correct you.

I'll tell you another saying from these parts: "When two folks say you're drunk go to sleep".
I'm not the only one that says a lot of americans have a problem with food. I'm not the only one to say you have a tendency to be shortsighted. You have a good excuse in what Ivan said earlier. Geographically you are pretty far away and tend to limit your interests between those two oceans. Probably it's not intentional. I probably would do the same if I were born there.
On the other hand I think I can detect some envy in our international politics today. That's where all the roumors start from.

Bottom line is that you can't generalize americans any more than I can generalize erupoeans. Everyone is unique and different. I don't have a sack of money under my bed, and you probably don't have sheep running through your house. I work my butt off because the cost of everything keeps going up. That's how our economy is driven, and how our productivity keeps increasing. But like anything, there is a price to pay. If I could work 30-40 hours a week, believe me I would. I'd much rather not be working, but like many americans, my options ARE limited. So we just do the best we can, as I'm sure you do.

You earn in a month more than a romanian earns in a year. You do have a sack of money under your bed.
I'm self sufficent too. I probably will take the hard (and exciting "no safety line") way and work my ass to manage my own life and be as independent as posiible. Me and you are not that different, we just live in the same Universe and don't know it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Integral:

There are some "official" defunitions of obese. I believe it is something like anything greated then 20lbs ~ 8kg over the insurance charts. I am 6'3" tall ~190cm according to the charts I should weigh 186lbs, well I weigh 240lbs so clearly I am well over the obese limits.

Intregral, may I say that you are most definitely not obese? Again, overweight doesn't count as obesity. You seem to be a very hard worker and have a lot of muscles (which are heavier than fat), I don't think your body type is that abnormal.

The following are examples of obesity:
obese.jpg

http://www.spinaweb.ie/showcase/1017/images/obese2.gif
http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1998/jan/jan_art/obese.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral, Monique-
I think the CDC(center for disease control) defines overweight as BMI 25.0–29.9 and Obese as BMI greater than or equal to 30.0.
At any rate, being overweight is quickly becoming a global issue, and although the U.S. still tops the charts Europe, Germany and the U.K. inparticular are catching up fast!

Sonty-Are you aware that for most families in the U.S. 100 to 150 dollars a month would not even cover their property taxes for that apartment, IF they were to own it? and if they were not the owners..the rent would so far exceed that 100-150 dollar amt that they would definitely be homeless if that is all they had to depend upon?

I plugged the numbers into the calculator, I am underweight and Integral's information is bordercase overweight/obese.. but the calculator doesn't take into account the muscle/fat distribution so I hold my point :)

And Sonty/Kat, money means totally different things in different countries, so comparison is very difficult. I myself have lived in a one-bedroom apartment in the US and the rent of the unit was $703 per month..

Originally posted by Sonty

Gee, let me think... Yes it is. When you don't know what WORK means you see America and every other westerner as a big sack of money, a big cow waiting to be milked. There was a saying before 1989 in Romania: "We fake working, they fake paying us". It's because of this nobody wants to hire people over 40-45. They are educated in that spirit. If you have a business where you can hire only young people you have a chance to survive on the market. The whole industrial environment is populated with old people. Nobody seems to want to buy those industrial giants that technologically wouldn't require astonishing investments, but educating the people would bring bankruptcy. I bet you didn't know this.

Nope, you're right I didn't.

I'll tell you another saying from these parts: "When two folks say you're drunk go to sleep".
I'm not the only one that says a lot of americans have a problem with food. I'm not the only one to say you have a tendency to be shortsighted. You have a good excuse in what Ivan said earlier. Geographically you are pretty far away and tend to limit your interests between those two oceans. Probably it's not intentional. I probably would do the same if I were born there.
On the other hand I think I can detect some envy in our international politics today. That's where all the roumors start from.

I too, detect some international envy. When you comment that the US has no interest in you, what are you referring to? Business? I don't own a business I work for someone else, so I can't say. Tourism? Well Romania isn't much in the way of tourism, but If I were in Europe, I'm sure there are some castles I would like to see.

You earn in a month more than a romanian earns in a year. You do have a sack of money under your bed.
I'm self sufficent too. I probably will take the hard (and exciting "no safety line") way and work my ass to manage my own life and be as independent as posiible. Me and you are not that different, we just live in the same Universe and don't know it. [/B]

You also have to account for economies of scale, which is something I think you're not realizing. While I may earn more in a month than someone there does in a year, I also pay more for goods and services as a result. It's not as if I earn this money then everything here is price the same as in romania. How much is a gallon (2.5 liters?) of milk there? I bet it's 1/25th of what it costs here. Goods are price according to what the country's economy can sustain. I probably pay enough money on housing in one month, that a romanian could live off it for a year. When I finish paying off my bills, believe me I'm not hoarding a sack of money. More like a sack of rolled coins:frown:

Yes sonty, fat or no, sheep or no, perhaps we are all more alike then we realize

Last edited:
I too, detect some international envy. When you comment that the US has no interest in you, what are you referring to? Business? I don't own a business I work for someone else, so I can't say. Tourism? Well Romania isn't much in the way of tourism, but If I were in Europe, I'm sure there are some castles I would like to see.

No. I don't care much about business. I'm more interested in the human side of this. The ordinary american is only now beginning to find out where my country is located. He doesn't know what kind of language I speak, what kind of food I eat, etc, etc, and he thinks I'm still in the 13th century and he has nothing to learn from me. We're all humans living on a small planet. We should know each other. As a first thing we should learn how to work from you and you should learn adaptability from us.
Castles? Forget the castles man. Come see the mountains and the sea. there are astonishing things to see where there aren't many people involved. It's not New Zealand, but in some places it comes close. plus there's (rare) stuff here that dates back to when the egyptians were buiding pyramids...

You also have to account for economies of scale, which is something I think you're not realizing. While I may earn more in a month than someone there does in a year, I also pay more for goods and services as a result. It's not as if I earn this money then everything here is price the same as in romania. How much is a gallon (2.5 liters?) of milk there? I bet it's 1/25th of what it costs here. Goods are price according to what the country's economy can sustain. I probably pay enough money on housing in one month, that a romanian could live off it for a year. When I finish paying off my bills, believe me I'm not hoarding a sack of money. More like a sack of rolled coins:frown:

The "red" generation kind of educated itself to judge a man by his incomes, not by his economic balance. I believe you because I know that stuff. 2,5 liters of (I suspect a little watered down) milk costs about 1$. My "provider" is an old lady who lives in the country a few km from my city, owns two cows and twice a week she comes by bus into the city to sell milk. Your provider is probably the local super-market therefore the difference in price. How much is a gallon of milk if you would buy if from a cow owning farmer?

No. I don't care much about business. I'm more interested in the human side of this. The ordinary american is only now beginning to find out where my country is located. He doesn't know what kind of language I speak, what kind of food I eat, etc, etc, and he thinks I'm still in the 13th century and he has nothing to learn from me.
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for quite a few...many of us became painfully aware of much about Romania when we began veiwing the horrid conditions of your orphans and raising funds and putting a large amount of time and energy into helping them.
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading what your saying but it seems alittle self centered and childish to be upset that Americans, who have plenty of their own to worry about aren't informed enough about your particular lifestyle. Particularly since in reading what you are saying about US, you're not particularly well informed about Americans either.

The "red" generation kind of educated itself to judge a man by his incomes, not by his economic balance. I believe you because I know that stuff. 2,5 liters of (I suspect a little watered down) milk costs about 1$. My "provider" is an old lady who lives in the country a few km from my city, owns two cows and twice a week she comes by bus into the city to sell milk. Your provider is probably the local super-market therefore the difference in price. How much is a gallon of milk if you would buy if from a cow owning farmer?
Living somewhat out in the country as I do, I am fortunate to be able to purchase milk from the farm...interesting enough it is not cheaper then buying from the super market (which purchases milk from the large milk companies). In fact, I pay almost a dollar more per gallon then I would at the grocery store. BUT the milk at the grocery store is definitely thin and watery compared to the farmers milk. (not to mention not a drop of cream on the top!:wink: ) I am paying 3.79 per gallon (3.7 liters) BTW.

Last edited:
Originally posted by kat
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for quite a few...many of us became painfully aware of much about Romania when we began veiwing the horrid conditions of your orphans and raising funds and putting a large amount of time and energy into helping them.
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading what your saying but it seems alittle self centered and childish to be upset that Americans, who have plenty of their own to worry about aren't informed enough about your particular lifestyle. Particularly since in reading what you are saying about US, you're not particularly well informed about Americans either.
[/B]

See? This is what I'm talking about when I say your view of us is more distorted than ours is of you. You characterize us by more irrelevant things than we do. What do you think would be more easily to spot: a relatively fat american for an european or a homeless orphan child in Romania for an american here? Foreigners come to us expecting to find third world people. Imagine their surprise when they find normal (like them) people. I see the same beggars everyday. They are indeed children and sometimes (rarely) see their parents. The parents are the ones that make them beg, they collect the money and they're actually leaving a good life (from their point of view). Almost all of them are gypsies. I'm not going to get into a long and boring discussion about gypsies here, but I can tell you bringing this entire community to legal work would be definitely harder than giving the entire Harlem a college education.

Originally posted by Monique
I plugged the numbers into the calculator, I am underweight and Integral's information is bordercase overweight/obese.. but the calculator doesn't take into account the muscle/fat distribution so I hold my point :)

The body mass index ceases to have too much relevance once you start getting above 6ft or below 5ft. The simple rules of squaring(etc) are only an approximation to a curve.

I'm butting in without having read all the pages, so forgive me if I post anything somebody else already posted...

I'm just shocked at entropy's "conclusion" that Americans are fatter because they have to work more. I don't know where you were when you were in Europe, but I seriously doubt Europeans work less.

You might be interested in this fascinating article on obesity in America by BBC, though...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/115270.stm

Apart other things, here's what it says (but do read the whole thing!):

Karen Donato, who helps co-ordinate obesity education at the NHLBI, said people were eating more, exercising less, and being fooled by "low fat" foods.

"When people read labels, they're more likely to notice what's low fat and 'healthy' but may not be looking at calories," she said.

In addition to the extra calories being taken in, Ms. Donato said, culprits in the national weight gain include "too much time sitting at our computers, driving the car, watching television and taking the elevator instead of the stairs."

By the way, I think the world would be a better place without Americans "helping" everybody, like "freeing" the people of Iraq. If they have so much money to use for war, help and whatever, perhaps they should first consider doing something to help stop the global warning, which would actually include some discomfort. But Americans will only resort to that when hell freezes over... or the Earth is so ****ed up it's not fit for living anymore...

Last edited:
Originally posted by Tail
I'm butting in without having read all the pages, so forgive me if I post anything somebody else already posted...

I'm just shocked at entropy's "conclusion" that Americans are fatter because they have to work more. I don't know where you were when you were in Europe, but I seriously doubt Europeans work less.

Using the most recently available data, the ILO has determined that the average Australian, Canadian, Japanese or Mexican worker was on the job roughly 100 hours less than the average American in a year -- that's almost two-and-a-half weeks less. Brazilians and British employees worked some 250 hours, or more than five weeks, less than Americans. Germans worked roughly 500 hours, or 12-and-a-half weeks, less than careerists in the States
Study: U.S. employees put in most hours

You might be interested in this fascinating article on obesity in America by BBC, though...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/115270.stm

Apart other things, here's what it says (but do read the whole thing!):

Karen Donato, who helps co-ordinate obesity education at the NHLBI, said people were eating more, exercising less, and being fooled by "low fat" foods.

"When people read labels, they're more likely to notice what's low fat and 'healthy' but may not be looking at calories," she said.

In addition to the extra calories being taken in, Ms. Donato said, culprits in the national weight gain include "too much time sitting at our computers, driving the car, watching television and taking the elevator instead of the stairs."

Yes, I've always considered this to be one of the greatest (in a crooked sort of way) marketing ploys ever! Although, the "diet" soft drink ploy with ingredients that make you dehydrate and increase your weight gain might be slightly more brilliant...in that same crooked sort of way...

See? This is what I'm talking about when I say your view of us is more distorted than ours is of you. You characterize us by more irrelevant things than we do. What do you think would be more easily to spot: a relatively fat american for an european or a homeless orphan child in Romania for an american here? Foreigners come to us expecting to find third world people. Imagine their surprise when they find normal (like them) people. I see the same beggars everyday. They are indeed children and sometimes (rarely) see their parents. The parents are the ones that make them beg, they collect the money and they're actually leaving a good life (from their point of view). Almost all of them are gypsies. I'm not going to get into a long and boring discussion about gypsies here, but I can tell you bringing this entire community to legal work would be definitely harder than giving the entire Harlem a college education.

So in YOUR opinion, someone's weight is more relevant than weather or not they are homeless? I guess you do have different priorities over there. No one's ever to my knowledge, referred to Romania as a 3rd world country. I've been to a 3rd world country, and I do know the difference.

Now let's for a second "get real" as we say..Ok the last 4 pages have basically been about trying to insult americans about their weight as a whole. I don't think it's in debate that americans are overweight. I also don't think it's in debate that we are NOT lazy, and that we are very productive. So you basically are equating weight with laziness, even though it's not accurate, and kind of "tacking that on", once you've started rolling.

Do Europeans obsesss this much about American's health? I mean honestly. Saying "you're fat so hah!" is about what I'd expect in grade school.

Other than the fact that we're overweight, does anyone have any VALID issues or generalizations about Americans?

Last edited:
Saying "you're fat so hah!" is about what I'd expect in grade school.

just to make sure everybody sees that :smile:

So in YOUR opinion, someone's weight is more relevant than weather or not they are homeless? I guess you do have different priorities over there. No one's ever to my knowledge, referred to Romania as a 3rd world country. I've been to a 3rd world country, and I do know the difference.

Do I speak a different english?
I meant you are sure to see a lot more overweight (ok fat is politically correct) people in America than you are two see orphan children in Romania.

Other than the fact that we're overweight, does anyone have any VALID issues or generalizations about Americans?

Let's stick to this one.The two of us already seem to have ruined the thread.

nahh.. let's can it. I think we've made enough progress in international relations for one day

I'm sure you're feeling a little "sheepish":wink:

Last edited:
Do Europeans obsesss this much about American's health? I mean honestly. Saying "you're fat so hah!" is about what I'd expect in grade school.
That has a reason.The American way of life is the reason they're fat. And that way of life is becoming more and more popular in other countries (I mean, who can resist comfort?). That MUST be stopped.

Yes.

A friend of mine (I'm from a European country) got told by an American customs officer that his passport was invalid because no such country existed. He asked for a valid driving license (American, of course, because, as I already said, my country doesn't exist). This case seemed particularly shocking to me because iot was a CUSTOMS OFFICER, but this is certainly not the first time I or someone I know has been shown how absolutely hopeless many Americans are when it comes to geography.

Well, you might have heard what Ambrose Bierce had to say about this: War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

That has a reason.The American way of life is the reason they're fat. And that way of life is becoming more and more popular in other countries (I mean, who can resist comfort?). That MUST be stopped.

LOl, just so I have this straight...Americans are overweight because they work too many hours, eat poorly and are over-stressed...the stress reduces their productivity output..so they work harder..and longer hours...continuing and escalating a vicious and unhealthy circle..and this is the comfort you're all finding hard to resist?

As Kat pointed out, there's a price to pay for everything. Believe me, working 50-60 hours a week under etreme pressure while struggling to just pay the bills is far from a comfortable lifestyle.

Maybe you ought to try it before you knock it:wink:

Fast food comes from America, as do all the fancy things that prevent you from doing anything yourself.

And, sorry, I'm not buying it that you work too hard and live so stressful lives. You WOULDN'T be fat (uh, nothing personal, just generally speaking), if it was so.

Fast food comes from America, as do all the fancy things that prevent you from doing anything yourself.

And, sorry, I'm not buying it that you work too hard and live so stressful lives. You WOULDN'T be fat (uh, nothing personal, just generally speaking), if it was so.

None taken since I'm not fat. But I wasn't the one who preposed that being fat was related to overworking and stress. HOWEVER, in the white collar industry, a lot of jobs are desk jobs, so you don't get much exercise. Perhaps another contributing cause is the fact that there are not as many white collar (and thus non-physical) jobs in Europe, and so people DO get more exercise. Not to mention, most people who have a lot of MENTAL stress, don't really feel up to working 12-13 hours, no matter what the job entails physically, and going home and exercising.

nahh.. let's can it. I think we've made enough progress in international relations for one day

I'm sure you're feeling a little "sheepish":wink:

I actually feel disappointed. I expected more on a science forum. I wasted a lot of time on this "I don't have a problem, you do" topic (isn't denial the first sign?). You didn't take seriously anything I said. You just took it personally, "grade school" style. I forgot you're the smartest grown-up on the planet and I'm just a kid who doesn't know anything about the world he's living in. You live in your universe. It's not built properly but you feel confortable in it just like a horse likes its stables and hence take any criticism personally. Keep it up! Don't change anything. You're perfect.

You're doing 50-60 hours a week? I'll go out on a limb here (again) and ask: are you a programmer? If so, I'll let you know I see this "2-3 hours of sleep per night" type of people everyday. If you'd ask me (don't) it's the worse job one can have.

Plugged my numbers nito the calculator. I'm overweight bordering on obese. (You'd be laughing hystarically if you could see me!)

I actually feel disappointed. I expected more on a science forum. I wasted a lot of time on this "I don't have a problem, you do" topic (isn't denial the first sign?). You didn't take seriously anything I said. You just took it personally, "grade school" style. I forgot you're the smartest grown-up on the planet and I'm just a kid who doesn't know anything about the world he's living in. You live in your universe. It's not built properly but you feel confortable in it just like a horse likes its stables and hence take any criticism personally. Keep it up! Don't change anything. You're perfect.

That hasn't been my intonnation at all. Now see who's putting words in someone else's mouth. I did take what you said very seriously. I acknowledge that some people in the US have a weight problem. And you are right in the statement that it is spreading to the rest of the world. But it isn't the "american way" that is spreading, it is technology. As new technologies such as sattelite tv, computers, and fast food which make everyone's lives easier spread beyond the US, eventually the rest of the world will fall prey to the pitfalls of "comfort". It's not a healthy way to embrace technology, but perhaps in time we'll realize the errors of our ways and integrate health back into society. But not before it encompasses the globe. Yes one day even Romania will have a Macdonalds(if they dont' already) and a computer and cable TV in every household. But wait.. those things are expensive to manufacture, so to pay for them, you'll have to work a little bit harder. Soon your neighbors will start aquiring "stereo equipment" and "DVD players", and hey, you've just GOT to have one too, so you'll work a few extra hours at work. But hey, everyone else wants a DVD player too, so THEY'RE working a little longer hours too. Next thing you know everyone's putting in 50 hour work weeks to pay for all this little conveniences that you've bought on credit that you don't even own. And then one day you realize that all these things you bought to make your life more enriched and easier, you don't even get to enjoy. Because you're working so much to pay for it that you're never home to enjoy them. And of course there's the huge credit card bills that you can never seem to pay off because as soon as you pay them down you're ugrading the PC, or buying a larger TV, or a bigger car. And before you know it you're 50 and you're life has been mostly spent chained to a desk instead of what you really wanted to do. But hey, it's no problem because I've always got that big bag of money under my bed.

Welcome to America- You really want this?

Soon my friend- soon Europe will mirror the US. Maybe even in our lifetimes. And then you'll see that having that big bag of money isn't so cool when you have an even bigger bag of bills on the other side.

You're doing 50-60 hours a week? I'll go out on a limb here (again) and ask: are you a programmer? If so, I'll let you know I see this "2-3 hours of sleep per night" type of people everyday. If you'd ask me (don't) it's the worse job one can have. [/B]

I'm not a programmer, but you're close;) However-all things considered there are many worse jobs to have than programmer:wink:
I never condescended to you. If anything you were the one chiding us "lazy americans". To be blunt, you come off as arrogant to me. For what purpose I do not know. There's a difference between patriotism to one's country and flat out arrogance. Which side of that fine line are you on? Have you noticed that up to this point I haven't once put down Romania, or any of the insults that you're trying to put into my mouth? Let's not do this "my country is better than your country" crap, because we're all human beings here.

And that TWO for international relations

Last edited:
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen...

I was sitting in a restaurant (I am currently in Korea) and it occurred to me why Americans may be fat. This is pure speculation of course. For some reason American food compels me to gorge. When eating Korean food I eat until I'm no longer hungry, maybe a bit more. This has no real bearing on the quality of the food, as I love Korean food, but when me and my friends go to an American restaurant here in Korea, say, Bennigans, we eat a TON. We look around and notice that while our table has ordered appetizers and main courses for each person, all the other tables either share or don't finish their food. Maybe it's the greasiness of the food, I'm not sure. This is speaking from my own personal experience and I am not intending to generalize but I thought it fascinating. The portions given in this country are tiny! So perhaps they're just trained to eat less, whereas if you go to any restaurant in America they give you huge portions of everything.

Just a thought.

-betsy

That hasn't been my intonnation at all. Now see who's putting words in someone else's mouth. I did take what you said very seriously. I acknowledge that some people in the US have a weight problem. And you are right in the statement that it is spreading to the rest of the world. But it isn't the "american way" that is spreading, it is technology. As new technologies such as sattelite tv, computers, and fast food which make everyone's lives easier spread beyond the US, eventually the rest of the world will fall prey to the pitfalls of "comfort". It's not a healthy way to embrace technology, but perhaps in time we'll realize the errors of our ways and integrate health back into society. But not before it encompasses the globe. Yes one day even Romania will have a Macdonalds(if they dont' already) and a computer and cable TV in every household. But wait.. those things are expensive to manufacture, so to pay for them, you'll have to work a little bit harder. Soon your neighbors will start aquiring "stereo equipment" and "DVD players", and hey, you've just GOT to have one too, so you'll work a few extra hours at work. But hey, everyone else wants a DVD player too, so THEY'RE working a little longer hours too. Next thing you know everyone's putting in 50 hour work weeks to pay for all this little conveniences that you've bought on credit that you don't even own. And then one day you realize that all these things you bought to make your life more enriched and easier, you don't even get to enjoy. Because you're working so much to pay for it that you're never home to enjoy them. And of course there's the huge credit card bills that you can never seem to pay off because as soon as you pay them down you're ugrading the PC, or buying a larger TV, or a bigger car. And before you know it you're 50 and you're life has been mostly spent chained to a desk instead of what you really wanted to do. But hey, it's no problem because I've always got that big bag of money under my bed.

Slaves of your own greed... Human nature... Can't battle it.

It's probably arrogance and I think I know why. Some reminents of an older me still exist. Before having a real sit-down with life I considered America an ideal and americans as the idols that created it. You still are the society I have most to learn from and I kind of look up to that. From there to expecting perfection was just a step.

Isnt it that society is getting lazy? And that the reason why americans are fatter than than any other nation at the moment is because the american society influences others societies mainly european societies very strongly. I know that a lot of people are getting very lazy, I have to admit that i haven't got on my bike since i passed my driving test whereas before that i used to cycle to college everyday. I think that this happens to most people as soon as they have the option to do something that require less effort then they tend to take it.

And after calculating my height and weight, I am not fat.

Americans do tend to exercise less. But as Andy alluded to, it's a matter of conveniences. If you have a car, who would bicycle 20 miles to work or school? not many if given the choice. The answer lies in that European nations are not as advanced in transportation systems as the US, so they use biking, walking, and other methods to get around. Honestly, I don't know of anyone over 18 here that doesn't use a car if they have one to go ANYWHERE, unless it involves purely recreational exercise. Combine that with the huge portions americans eat, and there's your answer.

However, the catch is that as sonty mentioned, American influences will soon catch up to Europe, and the roadways will increase, and autos will increase, until no one walks anywhere. Eating habits I can't account for because who knows? But within a few decades, it won't just be an american problem, it will be a world problem.

Last edited:
Yes, many in the US are over weight, myself included. More then likely this extra weight has several causes. Many in our culture have a heritage of manual labor, with this came eating habits of a manual laboror. This consitst of big high calorie meals, now in many parts of the world this type of meal simply is not possible, there is simply not enough food. Here on the other hand we have more food then we know what to do with. People who live off of fast food (and there are lots) get lots of calories, lots of fat and little nutrition. I think the biggest problem for the US health is simply too much food. As I said above we have a heritage of manual labor, unfortuantly the number of people in the US still doing manual labor has dropped, our eating habits have not followed suit.

The reason I posted my pic upthread is you show you the type of people included in the Obese statistics, do not think that all obese people look like the morbidly obese shown in Monicas pic. You do not have to be that far gone to be obese. If I liked or ate fast food with any regularity I would undoubtly be 50lbs heavier. Then I would look even fatter then I feel.

Here's a question, I quite often here people complain about being fat and that whatever they do they can't lose any weight, do you believe this to be true or do you put this down to there lazyness?

I've heard the same complaint from teenage girls who have maybe 3-5 percent body fat on them. That they can't loose weight. It's not a matter of weather they can loose weight or not, but weather or not they can AFFORD to loose weight. You have to account to metabolism. Some people can eat and eat and eat and never gain weight. I have several uncles like this. they can sit down and eat an entire box of cereal, and still have room for dinner. Yet they are super skinny. I have a friend who's 6-3 and maybe 160, and all he eats is fast food and junk food. I've never seen any kind of belly on him, and he never will have one. I on the other hand, have to watch what I eat, and exercise regularly or it catches up with me. Metabolism is a big factor in people's weight.

Originally posted by Andy
Here's a question, I quite often here people complain about being fat and that whatever they do they can't lose any weight, do you believe this to be true or do you put this down to there lazyness?

I don't blame laziness as much as I blame eating habits. I once went for three months eating nothing but boiled vegetables served over steamed rice topped with vegetable oil and little curry powder. Also, once a day, I would eat a can tuna fish. This wasn't a test like Project Monkey Chow, I was just a poor student. Anyway, I believe I was down to 150 lbs. Now, I weigh 160 lbs. The most I've ever weighed is 170 lbs. My point is that the human body is desiged to survive on much less food than we modern humans normally give it.

I believe in the Rinzai and Soto schools of Zen, the practice is to only eat until one is 80% full. I actually do this for the purpose of better health.

eNtRopY

Lazy Americans

Zantra said:
Americans do tend to exercise less. But as Andy alluded to, it's a matter of conveniences. If you have a car, who would bicycle 20 miles to work or school? not many if given the choice. The answer lies in that European nations are not as advanced in transportation systems as the US, so they use biking, walking, and other methods to get around. Honestly, I don't know of anyone over 18 here that doesn't use a car if they have one to go ANYWHERE, unless it involves purely recreational exercise. Combine that with the huge portions americans eat, and there's your answer.

However, the catch is that as sonty mentioned, American influences will soon catch up to Europe, and the roadways will increase, and autos will increase, until no one walks anywhere. Eating habits I can't account for because who knows? But within a few decades, it won't just be an american problem, it will be a world problem.

I'm an American who owns a car, yet bicycles 20 miles to work & back each day. I wouldn't have it any other way! I *feel* better when I'm fit; the air tastes better!

Why are Americans fat? Well, it's true; many are. Mostly they are in the eastern states, Michigan in particular. The folks there eat gross amounts of food, primarily milk, hamburger, sodas, & doughnuts; it's horrifying! :yuck: Healthy food is virtually non-existant there! What's more, people there are *beyond* lazy: they *never* exercise, and they even have little electric carts to shuttle their unwieldy flesh-anchors around the shopping mall! :uhh: Too much effort to walk & shop, I guess...

Give me a bicycle girl *anyday*! :devil:

IronGeek said:
Why are Americans fat? Well, it's true; many are. Mostly they are in the eastern states, Michigan in particular<snip>they even have little electric carts to shuttle their unwieldy flesh-anchors around the shopping mall! :uhh: Too much effort to walk & shop, I guess...
Not too fond of Michiganders I take it? :wink:

Welcome to PF, btw. :smile:

Americans are ALL fat !
The fittest one will be at least 200, and 5'8 tall, :tongue2: