Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Americans no longer the fattest!

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2
    Amazing ! Then Mississippi does not have an issue anymore :tongue2:

4. Jul 12, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm doing all that I can to win back the title!

5. Jul 12, 2008 #4

Astronuc

And they did it in one year. Too much beer and beef.

Actually, that's sad.

6. Jul 12, 2008 #5
    they may--on the local level---still have some kind of 'title'

7. Jul 12, 2008 #6
    Maybe Mississippi could just consider they have a problem, which is more important than an american (or world) title ?
    I just meant it as a joke, whose meaning was "the title should be Mississippi issue spreads to the world or something like that"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  8. Jul 12, 2008 #7
    I'm actually wondering if all of the message about watching fat and sugar intake have finally started to work in the US. Soft drink sales have started to fall. Many schools in the US have finally banned all junk foods and soda from vending machines and have started to clean up their menus (although there is still a lot of work to be done).

9. Jul 12, 2008 #8
    So, am I wrong to consider that the change is due to a worsening in Australia, and not a significant change in the US ?

10. Jul 12, 2008 #9
    You mean I can't start eating again?

11. Jul 12, 2008 #10
    The Australian data is per capita, we still have them beat in sheer numbers.

12. Jul 12, 2008 #11

no you may not be wrong. all of the developed world might just be getting fatter while people in the 3rd world continue to starve.

Of course it is in per capita terms. You have to compare apples to apples.

13. Jul 12, 2008 #12
    Well as an Australian, I just reach the recommended BMI for a person my size (Last I checked) and work out regularly at the gym but I can see this very statistic with my very eyes and all I can say is, typical. Growing up in Australia has given me an insight into the average Australian's mentality, and this disinterest in their personal wellbeing is quite normal.

For Astronuc, I don't eat much beef and I don't like Australian beer.

14. Jul 12, 2008 #13

Astronuc

I think that comes with the economic development.

or perhaps lamb. Actually we ate more lamb and mutton. We really couldn't afford a lot of beef.

I like Fosters and VB, Tooheys and Coopers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?