Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Americans (RANT ALERT)

1. Dec 24, 2009 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Why are there so many stereotypes of Americans today?

Oops, asked an obvious question...

Anyway, to affirm the stereotypes that I can remember at 3 in the morning...

I only weigh 130 lbs or so (for the non-americans, either 60 or 286 kgs, I can't remember which way the conversion factor goes). Not obese. This is the one false stereotype of America.

Americans are NOT good drivers, not in the slightest. I should know, I have to get cut off, flipped off, and generally ignored by them... EVERY DAY!

*puts a "rant" sticker at beginning of post*

Also, if you have any stereotypes about Americans being rude, keep them: we are. Totally and completely.

Finally, Americans are greedy. Had someone try to shoplift and another say she gave the wrong bill (a 50 instead of a 10? come on) at the store I work at.

Ok, rant over. Sorry, but it's 3 in the morning and I had to tell someone...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2009 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Americans can't understand the metric system."

4. Dec 24, 2009 #3
    Also, Americans are friendly. And they tend to live in North America.

5. Dec 24, 2009 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Hey, I use meters, liters, and metric units all the time... I just think in g, not kg.

However, most Americans indeed cannot.

Most Americans are NOT friendly. Ask them "hey, how's it going?" and you'll either get ignored or flipped off, unless you're bagging their groceries (had someone flip me off once where I worked... there were egg yolks and shells everywhere. I called it an "accident"... good times...)

6. Dec 24, 2009 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You think in grams, but you cannot convert that to kilograms? You must be joking.

7. Dec 24, 2009 #6

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Well, grams are so different from pounds (whats the ratio? 500 to 1?) that for my science classes (where we measure stuff and I've never had it weigh more than 250 g) I think in g, but in everyday life I think in pounds.

Btw, after looking at it again, I'm pretty sure it's the 60.

But I can convert other units just fine... I know there are about 39 inches in a meter, and I've almost abandoned the gallon... I also remember g=9.8 m/s^2, and I don't even know the American conversion for that figure.

I just can't throw away my "lbs".

8. Dec 24, 2009 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I use both metric (SI, mks) and English (ft-lb-hr) system, but I prefer metric.

9. Dec 24, 2009 #8
    I find myself accidentally using metric on occasion. These physics classes are wearing on me. None of my friends have any clue what I'm talking about when I say a car accident happened just 3 meters in front of me.

10. Dec 24, 2009 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If only more Americans could be as friendly and forgiving as you!:smile:

11. Dec 24, 2009 #10
    Americans can't spell properly either. Colour.

12. Dec 24, 2009 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Americans never use adverbs it's actually really cold today, not "real cold today".

I could go on, but I won't :wink:

As for your observations on Americans being rude, they don't agree with my observations. From my experience, your average store clerk in the US is way more friendly and engaging than the equivalent in the UK, for example. I guess you've got to go out of the US to really see whether these stereotypes are true.

13. Dec 24, 2009 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe East Coast Americans are unfriendly and rude. Midwesterners are usually friendly people (and somewhat friendly drivers).

Americans are lousy drivers. That's driven by the technology of their cars. Drivers of cars with automatic transmissions find it hard not to become distracted by the cell phones, CD players, make-up mirrors, air conditioning system, etc. American cars have turned into living rooms.

The American stereotype of obesity must be true. It's hard to shop for clothes when you're skinnier than the average American.

I don't think Italian store clerks are any ruder than American store clerks. My experiences may be non-typical, seeing as how I was virtually illiterate when it came to Italian and probably just didn't understand that they were making fun of me instead of being friendly.

14. Dec 24, 2009 #13
    I don't think that's true. My friend is kinda crazy and he says "hi" to random people all the time. From what I've seen, he gets a friendly response about half the time and ignored half the time. But just because he gets ignored doesn't mean they're necessarily rude. They may not think he's talking to them, or they may not have heard him.
    It's uncommon for random people to say "hi" to you as you walk by here, so the most of the time I think they're just surprised to hear it.

And I'd love to switch to the metric system and start using celsius intead of farhenahieititiaeithianefaoefihaowe fa0et92t
    That must be a regional thing, because here in Florida, fat people have a hard time finding their sizes. My friend is fat and he has to go to Burlington Coat Factory to get clothes that really fit him and he's really not THAT big.
    I'm pretty skinny and wear medium shirts because I don't like the large shirts, they're slightly baggier than I like. Plus I like to show off my biceps. I don't think I've met someone who wears small. You have to be miniscule. And hoodies I have to get extra large. Any smaller than that and it's too tight. I wear like 33 waist and it seems like most sizes I see hover around that number. I rarely see any over 40.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  15. Dec 24, 2009 #14

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To build an ugly stereotype of Americans, go visit a popular US National Park. If you take one of the short trails to some scenic spot you will be surrounded by overweight, loud, rude, and ruinous people: Americans. Now take a ten mile hike that goes over some rougher terrain. The crowds will be gone. The few people you meet on the trail will be thin, quiet, polite, and will pack their trash out. They will also largely be foreigners. This happens every time I visit a National Park. I tend to favor camping in National Forests in part because of this phenomenon.

This might be selection bias; I don't know the makeup of people who visit a place like Gran Paradiso, for example. Perhaps the overweight, loud, rude, and ruinous people there are locals, and perhaps Americans who go there are more likely to take the long hikes and be thin, quiet, polite, and more likely to pack their trash. Perhaps.

16. Dec 24, 2009 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is an important difference.
    grams is "personal use", kg is "with intent to supply"

17. Dec 24, 2009 #16
    I actually got this from foreigners visiting America. I have noticed a common observation is that strangers will talk to them, which is apparently uncommon in some places, such as Japan and England.

18. Dec 24, 2009 #17
    Stereotypes are wrong. There are always exceptions.

19. Dec 24, 2009 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the common stereotype about stereotypes, but sometimes the stereotype is true.

20. Dec 24, 2009 #19
    I think that when the OP said Americans were rude he was speaking of Americans from larger cities. I know some people who came from some central states and said people were really friendly and helpful.

If you compare say New York city to Toronto however I think you'll find that people in Toronto tend to be much more polite. In fact I think there was even a study done on it.

I don't think that being greedy is an American stereotype, I'm quite sure that exists everywhere.

I do think that the steroetype on Americans being fat is true however. A friend of mine works at Tommy Hilfigere and all the clothes are from America. So they use some 'American' system but it appears that it's the same as the one we use here. What they do is they make the sizes larger than they say. I.e. a size 34 is actually say a size 36 the people at the store say this is directly related to the average size of Americans. As well shirts from America tend to get larger around mostly the belly area when you go up in size...

A stereotype on Americans that I've come accross alot is their undying love for nationalism. From what I've seen Americans have tended to be the most proud about their country... even when their country is wrong they'll stand by it; weird.

21. Dec 24, 2009 #20
    I've lived in Minneapolis and San Diego and found most people to be high on the friendly scale. It could be a different story for, say, Chicago and N.Y., I don't know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook