Americans: Stereotypes, Not So Obese, Poor Drivers, Rude & Greedy

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary: American cars. Most Americans are NOT friendly. Ask them "hey, how's it going?" and you'll either get ignored or flipped off, unless you're bagging their groceries (had someone flip me off once where I worked... there were egg yolks and shells everywhere. I called it an "accident"... good times...)
leroyjenkens said:
I think it's more complicated than that. Sure, fresh produce is slightly more expensive than some ramen noodles, but I think it's more a combination of laziness (hence why they may be overweight to begin with) and lack of education. If you don't know what's healthy, you probably won't be eating healthy.
Or they simply just don't care.

I agree that these can also play a role, but you left out a very important cosideration: Time constraints. If you only have yourself to feed, that is one thing, but cooking good meals for a family every day takes a lot of time and work [or moms have been lying for centuries!]. And you can't live on veggies alone. If you already work a full-time job, have baths, homework, housework, bills, etc to deal with, it can be tough to deal with meal preparations as well. This is esp true where you have a single parent working two jobs, for example. Education surely plays a role, as does having practical knowledge of how to cook. But, it is also true that a family of 4 can eat a dinner for about five bucks, at a hamburger stand. It is also true that we are finding food deserts in depressed areas of large cities, where no good foods are easily available. Why? Because the grocery stores have all closed their doors. We had a thread about this in Social Sciences.

Instead of getting a value meal at McDonalds, you could have several bowls of healthy cereal. Or you could make your own sandwich at home. There's too many healthy alternatives to blame economics.

That is true to an extent, but as you said, it is more complicated than that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My mother was a depression era child who could squeeze ten cents out of every nickel. But it took a lot of knowledge, work, and creativity on her part. She had learned her tricks from her mother, during the depression.

I grew up drinking powdered milk. We couldn't afford the real stuff. Mom would mix in a little powdered coffee creamer to make it seem like it might really be milk.

Unless you know them well, Bostonians tend to be stand-offish, and they are undoubtedly the rudest drivers on the East coast. Not all East-coasters are that way, though. I have a bunch of biker buddies from Boston, Brockton, Quincey areas, and for years they would trailer their Harleys to Maine, and tent out for a long weekend of riding, BBQ, and beer. Two have already relocated to Maine, and another certainly would if he could pry his wife away from her family. The reason? Mainers don't judge them based on leather jackets, tattoos, etc. The first couple to move up liked to tell everybody of getting caught in a downpour and starting to take shelter under a tree until an elderly couple insisted that they come join them on their covered porch, and they watched the storm pass while having home-made cookies and iced tea.

Bikers get good PR here. The United Bikers of Maine often taken on community projects like refurbishing old country cemetaries, and every fall (first Sunday after Labor day) teams up with the Salvation Army to organize the state's largest charity event - Toys for Tots. Bikers come by the tens of thousands to parade through the state capital with their machines loaded with toys, games, clothes, etc, and many make cash donations to the SA at the collection center, as well. My wife and I often chose practical gifts like nice sleeping bags. If the kids' families can't afford much for Christmas, they likely skimp on the heat, too, and if the kids got invited to a sleep-over, they would have nice warm sleeping bags to take along.

On one of our first Toy Runs, Malcolm Forbes rode in with a contingent of his employees, brought several of his fanciful hot-air balloons and one of his corporate helicopters to give rides to the kids, and arranged fly-overs by two of his corporate jets. Since then, every governor has HAD to be involved, ride in the parade, etc. The current governor went out and bought his own Harley and took a riding course so he wouldn't have to hitch a ride.

206PiruBlood said:
In states such as New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey rarely did others waste their time with pleases, thanks yous or friendly greetings...The West coast seems more laid back .
My New Yorker colleague claimed that California was ruder.
In NY you can go into a store an get your sandwich as quickly as possible with the minimum amount of conversation, whereas in California you have to exchange star signs and chat to get your groceries bagged.
He believed that Californians in costing you 5 minutes of wasted time in every transaction were being ruder.

Time constraints. If you only have yourself to feed, that is one thing, but cooking good meals for a family every day takes a lot of time and work [or moms have been lying for centuries!].
Making a sandwich or a bowl of cereal takes no time at all. They may not be the most meal-worthy foods, but that's no reason to say the only alternative is fast food.
But, it is also true that a family of 4 can eat a dinner for about five bucks, at a hamburger stand.
That's pushing it. One burger each? I'm kinda small and I have to get 3 dollar-menu items to become remotely full.
It is also true that we are finding food deserts in depressed areas of large cities, where no good foods are easily available. Why? Because the grocery stores have all closed their doors. We had a thread about this in Social Sciences.
That's because every grocery store I see in low income areas has a McDonalds right next to it. And that brings us back to the beginning.
Plus shoplifting has a huge effect.

For what it's worth, I've always experienced the people in the States to be very polite. Annoyingly so from my standpoint (people don't need to excuse themselves if they walk on the other side of the hallway from me, or random strangers don't have to ask "how are you doing", if they don't care about the answer). In the American culture serving people appears to be deeply rooted. At the same time I knew someone from Japan, who thought that Americans were rude. It's all about what your reference frame is.

mgb_phys said:
My New Yorker colleague claimed that California was ruder.
In NY you can go into a store an get your sandwich as quickly as possible with the minimum amount of conversation, whereas in California you have to exchange star signs and chat to get your groceries bagged.
He believed that Californians in costing you 5 minutes of wasted time in every transaction were being ruder.

This very well may be the case, I was just sharing my personal experience. I have spent much more time in Washington and Oregon than California so my experience there is limited. In the end, no matter where in the country I am, I find that many individuals are courteous and cordial. But I do think the general social atmosphere varies greatly between regions; whether one is better than the other is subject to debate.

Monique said:
At the same time I knew someone from Japan, who thought that Americans were rude.
I think that's just 'cause different cultures have their own standards of what's appropriate.

Making a sandwich or a bowl of cereal takes no time at all.
That's not dinner. Cooking actual meat or fish and dicing up vegetables for a proper meal ends up taking at least 20 minutes. Anything with flavor takes longer 'cause of prep time. I live in a low income area during the week, and the only place with decent food is a good 15 minute walk (pain in the neck when you've got a full grocery cart) and more expensive than anything else in the neighborhood. The local grocery store has a decent selection of Hispanic food (the dominant ethnicity in the neighborhood), but doesn't have much of anything else. The only other option for food is take-out, delis, and bodegas.
My family lives in a better neighborhood in the same city, so the options by them are much better. Tons of great groceries and supermarkets, sometimes on the same block.

That's pushing it. One burger each? I'm kinda small and I have to get 3 dollar-menu items to become remotely full.
Still cheaper. There are tons of studies on this, and they all find healthier food costs more. The average grocery bill for a family of four is about $400-$600 a month (my family believes in cooking and homemade food and buys kosher meat, so ours is about double that). You can feed a family of four at McDonalds or with chinese take-out for about 10 bucks.

story645 said:
Still cheaper. There are tons of studies on this, and they all find healthier food costs more.
You have to be a little careful about those studies - common tricks are:
Using the prices of organic/free range stuff at upmarket 'wholefoods' type stores
On the fast food side assuming you only buy the loss leader items like 99c burgers, not the pricier fries and drinks.
In comparing supermarket food - putting cheap item like canned beans/vegatables on the unhealthy side of the equation because of their sugar salt content.

Many of my immigrant coworkers have made the claim that life in the United States is of a much faster pace than in their home countries (mostly South Americans and Africans). Can anyone confirm this? At first glance Americans seem to be independent from a young age these days with automobiles and cellphones etc. Adults here seem to work a lot as well. How do these compare to other regions of the world?

Piru, don't you dare take away my automobile and cell phone!

Just kidding.

I would say that many Americans seem to be perpetually in a rush, especially while driving. This article here may not be peer-reviewed or a journal, but it states that 57% of Americans ignore the speed limit, and I believe it. I will also say, however, that the annoying ones (to me) fall into two categories:

1. The people who decide that the speed limit is something never to reach, always staying about 5 below it.
2. The people who decide that the speed limit is something never to care about, apparently thinking that they are on a racetrack.

I usually end up about 30 ft behind Type 1, and tailgated by Type 2.

BTW, I'm not from the East Coast, I'm from the Pacific Northwest. HUGE difference. Also, I may have overstated the rudeness a little. Most of the people are nice, it's just that the morons seem to go out of their way to get noticed.

Char. Limit said:
This article here may not be peer-reviewed or a journal, but it states that 57% of Americans ignore the speed limit, and I believe it.

That's because some of the speed limits are ridiculous. 55mph on a motorway that's pretty much straight? Come on.. we have speed limits way higher than that on winding country lanes!

Char. Limit said:
I would say that many Americans seem to be perpetually in a rush, especially while driving. This article here may not be peer-reviewed or a journal, but it states that 57% of Americans ignore the speed limit, and I believe it. I will also say, however, that the annoying ones (to me) fall into two categories:

1. The people who decide that the speed limit is something never to reach, always staying about 5 below it.
2. The people who decide that the speed limit is something never to care about, apparently thinking that they are on a racetrack.

I usually end up about 30 ft behind Type 1, and tailgated by Type 2.

I think you might not quite understand how speed limit signs work. If speed were voltage, the number on the speed limit signs would be the root-mean-square value, with your amplitude being the speed you're currently driving at.

BobG said:
If speed were voltage, the number on the speed limit signs would be the root-mean-square value, with your amplitude being the speed you're currently driving at.
Or in QM terms, all velocities are possible with the speed limit being the preferred state.

cristo said:
That's because some of the speed limits are ridiculous. 55mph on a motorway that's pretty much straight? Come on.. we have speed limits way higher than that on winding country lanes!

I think 55 is an East Coast phenomenon. It might explain why people on the East Coast are so rude.

Ivan Seeking said:
As Cristo pointed out, we are a young nation. As a result, classically speaking, less the so-called native Americans, we are all immigrants, or nearly so. The oldest families, which represent a very small sample of the population, go back, what, maybe 500 years. In my case, I am a Finnish-Swedish-German-English-Polish-Native American. [There are actually a couple more small influences in there but I can't remember them at the moment... there is also a bit of Swiss, from the German side]

I've traced some of my family in the US as far back as 1800. In fact, some of my relatives were among the first settlers in Ohio. A few settled in Guernsey County, then moved all their relatives from Guernsey Island of the Channel Islands to Guernsey County, Ohio.

Most of my relatives came over some time in the 1800's from Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland. I have some French relatives in there, but I've never been able to trace them back past the 1800's to find out when they first came over.

Looking through my family history, it isn't very common for people to die in the same town they were born in. And my family tries to keep up the tradition. With seven kids in our family, at one time each of us lived in a different state. And I've spent about equal times living in Kansas, Ohio, Nebraska, and Colorado, with a year in Alaska tossed in for good measure.

Last edited:
Sorry! said:
I do think that the steroetype on Americans being fat is true however. A friend of mine works at Tommy Hilfigere and all the clothes are from America. So they use some 'American' system but it appears that it's the same as the one we use here. What they do is they make the sizes larger than they say. I.e. a size 34 is actually say a size 36 the people at the store say this is directly related to the average size of Americans. As well shirts from America tend to get larger around mostly the belly area when you go up in size...

There is still a major trend of wearing baggy clothes here. Its not as common now but you used to see guys walking down the street with their asses hanging out of their pants all the time. Hilfiger in particular was part of that fashion craze. I had a pair of Hilfiger pants years ago that although they had the right size waist I could fit both of my legs in one pant leg. Also I think someone somewhere along the way realized that if they made sizes bigger than they normally were that people were more apt to buy the clothes that said they were a small rather than a medium.

55? I couldn't drive that. Speed limit here's 70.

America is not obese! After all, I am not obese!

I just get tired of going to Mcdonald's and having health food pushed in my face. I know what I'm eating is unhealthy, but I'm eating it for a reason!

-- Between 1962 and the year 2000, the number of obese Americans grew from 13% to an alarming 31% of the population.
-- 63% of Americans are overweight with a Body Mass Index (BMI) in excess of 25.0.
-- 31% are obese with a BMI in excess of 30.0.
http://www.americansportsdata.com/obesitystats.asp

A lot sure are overweight though. I wonder what your eating this unhealthy foor for... it's probably the #1 reason large jump to 31% of americans obese has occured?

Last edited by a moderator:
I meet a lot of nice people and a lot of rude people.

The only thing that has remained constant is that most of people aren't worth attempting a friendship. Almost everyone I meet is full of it in one way or another. (This goes for everyone, not just Americans)

I don't really see that many obese people, I wonder if those numbers are true. If anything I'd think Europe (or some European country) would contain the stereotypical obese people eating mutton legs.

whs said:
I meet a lot of nice people and a lot of rude people.

The only thing that has remained constant is that most of people aren't worth attempting a friendship. Almost everyone I meet is full of it in one way or another. (This goes for everyone, not just Americans)

I don't really see that many obese people, I wonder if those numbers are true. If anything I'd think Europe (or some European country) would contain the stereotypical obese people eating mutton legs.

Here's the full report:
http://www.americansportsdata.com/pr-obesityresearch-bmi.asp

and here's the data:
http://www.americansportsdata.com/ss_participation1.asp

The notion of believing in a stereotype is just as foolish as thinking one person, yourself can bend it.

That's not dinner. Cooking actual meat or fish and dicing up vegetables for a proper meal ends up taking at least 20 minutes. Anything with flavor takes longer 'cause of prep time.
So you're forced to take the unhealthy alternative simply because what I suggested doesn't qualify as dinner?
Still cheaper. There are tons of studies on this, and they all find healthier food costs more.
I'd have to see the studies. I can think of several cheaper healthy alternatives, but apparently anything I name isn't up to snuff with the rigors of dinner classification.
The average grocery bill for a family of four is about $400-$600 a month (my family believes in cooking and homemade food and buys kosher meat, so ours is about double that). You can feed a family of four at McDonalds or with chinese take-out for about 10 bucks.
I'm unsure of why sandwiches you make at home don't qualify as dinner, but McDonalds sandwiches do.

story645 said:
Still cheaper. There are tons of studies on this, and they all find healthier food costs more. The average grocery bill for a family of four is about $400-$600 a month (my family believes in cooking and homemade food and buys kosher meat, so ours is about double that). You can feed a family of four at McDonalds or with chinese take-out for about 10 bucks.
Any take-out I order for two people costs about 40 euros (60 dollars), I can't believe that with 10 dollars you can get chinese take-out for a family of four.

Monique said:
Any take-out I order for two people costs about 40 euros (60 dollars), I can't believe that with 10 dollars you can get chinese take-out for a family of four.

I'd say it's more like fourteen dollars.

Monique said:

It depends on the place. I would say closer to twenty for your average hole in the wall. Galteeth may have cheaper places around him than I do. Most entrees are only $5-$6 unless you get the expensive stuff with shrimp or something. Fried rice and Chow Mein are even cheaper.

Monique said:
I'm in the US and I'll vouch for the cheap Chinese - certainly $15 of take out will feed a family of four, no problem. Chinese restaurants are simply everywhere here, and the take out only shops have very little store front to attend - maybe no more than three people, one in front, two in the kitchen.

Not big news, but I thought this graph was interesting.

http://media.skinnychef.com/misc/highfructosecornsyrup695.jpg

...The above graph shows how overweight & obesity rates (1980: 15%; 2000: 28%) rose simultaneously with the increased use of high fructose corn syrup in the 1980s and 1990s (5 vs. 45 gram/capita/day). A related graph also indicates that ten years after the increase in obesity, there’s an increase in diabetes cases. Many experts, including Richard Johnson, say that it’s hard to argue with those correlations...
http://skinnychef.com/blog/high-fructose-corn-syrup-bad-for-you
Source:
Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity1,2
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/79/4/537

Yeah, fried rice and eggrolls for a family of 4 will easily come in under $15 around here - probably closer to $10. There are lots of Asian immigrants in the area, and they get really aggressive with their pricing. In Skowhegan (county seat), there is every fast-food franchise you can think of, including a Timmy's, but the Asians think nothing about setting up shop, and can make a good living doing so. In the nicer sit-down Chinese restaurants, the prices are higher, the dishes are more complex, etc, but the portion sizes can be scary-big, meaning that you'll be taking home about half of your meals, and that averages the prices down. Order some complex dish like Gai Poo Lo Mein (shrimp, beef, vegetables and sauce over a bed of noodles) with seafood in it, and you've probably got the most expensive meal on the menu - still 'way less than a meal at a decent American-style restaurant, though, and you probably won't take home a doggie-bag from the American-style joint.

All this talk of Chinese is making me very hungry. I'm sure that my local restaurant will appreciate it. Our buffet is on average about seven dollars, and for 15 dollars you could get carry out for at least four people.

I haven't done a whole lot of traveling but it's really obvious there is an "Americanization" when it comes to food. It feels like it kinda takes away from some of the quality, but it's all about finding the good sources. That's a lot of the fun in it.

If there was anyone thing that I would change with America though, it's the education system, at least from K through 12. The whole thing under serves and a lot of people who have an interest in whatever don't fit in with the majority teaching style. It's really sad honestly, so many lives squandered because of misdirection that could have been prevented.

I've noticed that nearly every time a non American has claimed that we are stupid, it's really just the education system affecting judgment calls. Most people aren't taught critical thinking skills. :(

Every country has it's idiots. Most Americans I've met where cool.

No problem with being cool idiot :rofl:

Borek said:
No problem with being cool idiot :rofl:

Now you had better be nice. I have an entire book of Polish Jokes.

[well, actually that was when I was about twelve years old, but I still remember them! :biggrin:]

I was not referring to Americans, rather to logical fallacy.