Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

America's Best Colleges - Forbes

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    Forbes just came out with their new rankings for America's colleges. Part of the rankings comes from ratemyprofessor.com ratings. Personally I think these rankings are very surprising if not bogus. I live in WI and I can tell you the top 3-4 ranked school in WI in the list are garbage. No way they are better than UW or Marquette. I know a kid who had a 2.4GPA and he got into Ripon College which is ranked 109. While Marquette and UW are in the 300s. Also no way is MSOE worst college in America, this is a crime!

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/94/opinions_college08_Americas-Best-Colleges_Rank.html

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

My alma mater is listed at 376. That's pretty sick. The engineering school is top-notch and the ability to engage in research in applied technology related to industries important to the state helps keep kids in-state after graduation, even if they might be able to make more money by moving. During my freshman year, I was offered a 5-year pulp-and-paper scholarship in chemical engineering. By then, I had figured out that though I was good at it, I was far more interested in philosophy, English literature, and life sciences, so I turned it down, much to the consternation of the financial aid officer administering that scholarship. He kept me in his office for over an hour trying to get me to accept it.

4. Aug 19, 2008 #3
    China did a study comparing places around the world. They based it entirely on the number of times papers are cited from a school by other researchers. We are number 1.

No 'rate my prof', or 'prettiest campus' nonsense. Just based on quality of work.

5. Aug 19, 2008 #4
    My prestigious institution ranks in the 400's. I think I passed university of phoenix online somewhere along the way

6. Aug 19, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Aug 19, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Therein lies the flaw. So, it's a ranking of schools with the coolest professors? That doesn't mean the students get a good education, or will be successful after they graduate, just that they liked their profs? Give all your students A's for no work and they'll love you, but that doesn't mean they're getting a good education.

8. Aug 20, 2008 #7
    My school, UC Berkeley, ranks at 73, not bad...

edit: and yes, I do not believe in these rankings

9. Aug 20, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

UCLA is #111??? How can this be? :confused:

:cry:

10. Aug 20, 2008 #9
    This is a lot like those "Top 100 best guitarists" music magazines churn out every now and then. They all suck and do it so people pay more attention to them. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

11. Aug 20, 2008 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

What a nice number! It's emphasised 3 times that your college is number 1!o:)

12. Aug 20, 2008 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't rate that either. Lots of people write papers about pointless crap over and over again. And it must be cited because that's an ethical to do if you know about it.

All ratings are biased.

Also, the cited papers might all be coming from the Biology department meanwhile all the other departments are garbage.

Seriously, no way of measurement will capture the essence of a great school. Period.

13. Aug 20, 2008 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are those the actual costs of the school? Jeez, I rather kill myself then pay those fees if that's the case.

14. Aug 20, 2008 #13
    One of the comments states that for School X they listed the out of state price, whereas for School Y, they listed $1000 under the in state price, meaning they even got cold hard facts wrong.

15. Aug 20, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, but I never saw a price below $13000. That's INSANE!

I have no idea how American citizens put up with that. The most expensive school in Canada is $13000 a year. Sure, it's not the BEST school in the world but we are also a MUCH smaller country. I never paid more than $5000, but now it's like $5500 the average.

I would move out of the USA, get my citizenship elsewhere, and then start school.

16. Aug 20, 2008 #15
    They included room and board in all of the numbers that I checked. That can crank up the price. I have a friend going to UCLA, and her room and board costs more than tuition.

17. Aug 20, 2008 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With room and board, and a food plan, our university tuition goes up to $10,000. It still doesn't even COMPARE to those numbers.

18. Aug 20, 2008 #17
    Whoa... cost of living must be cheap there... or do you just get huge help from the government?

19. Aug 20, 2008 #18
    per year or per semester?
    Mine is close to $10,000 per semester but government etc covered all my first year :rofl:.

20. Aug 20, 2008 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's per year.

It's pretty much the same everywhere. At worst it's $13,000.

Seriously, you guys get raped up the *** in the US.

I'm starting my Master's and I'm fully funded such that scholarships will pay for tuition, living and some discretionary income. The TA money I make is extra money that I do whatever I want. I'm going on a trip to the Carribean in December, as well as a Ski Trip to Montreal or Quebec, and most likely going to France in February, and possible to the Carribean again in April and the list just goes on.

I have no idea how you guys do it with those prices.

21. Aug 20, 2008 #20
    I don't know which university you go to. I am paying about 8,900 per semester and then books etc makes to 10,000 (per sem) for my Ontario university.

8900 includes
    Undergrad Full time Tuition
    Residence
    600 meal plan
    plus others ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?