America's Best Colleges - Forbes

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Forbes recently released their new rankings for America's colleges, which includes ratings from ratemyprofessor.com. However, many people find these rankings to be surprising and possibly inaccurate. Some even believe that these rankings are meaningless because they are based on factors such as the attractiveness of the campus or the popularity of the professors rather than the quality of education. Additionally, the cost of attending these top-ranked schools is also a major concern for many students. There are mixed opinions on the accuracy and relevance of these rankings, with some arguing that they do not accurately reflect the true value of a college education.
whs said:
Whoa! Man I'm going to move to Canada! Oh wait, then I'd have to live in Canada.. (pass me the gun)

Nah, its not that bad. The only things they don't have are good pizza, good cell phone plans, and google voice. They also have square tires.

Physics news on Phys.org
ranger said:
Nah, its not that bad. The only things they don't have are good pizza, good cell phone plans, and google voice. They also have square tires.

Ugh! I think the USA has the worst cell phone plans in the world. Way too expensive.

Loans and federal aid. Most the people at my university are abusing using federal aid. They pay a good deal of everything.

I haven't filled out a FAFSA in about 100 years but the last time I compared my experience to my older sisters the rules were a little tighter for me.

Wow. The tuition prices for colleges are absolutely vomit inducing, even if Forbes is off by a few grand. There's no way the average student could leave 80-90% of those colleges with less than $20,000 or $30,000 in student loans, even after financial aid. What a rip off. That's the American way though. Go to college, graduate with a ton of debt. Pay it off. Buy a house and then send your kid off to college which equals more debt. It's a never ending cycle of debt. I'm tempted to just say screw it all and die with as much debt as possible. Creditors can chase me to the grave all they want. What do I care. Money=meaningless paper to me at this point.

Pengwuino said:
Loans and federal aid. Most the people at my university are [strike]abusing[/strike] using federal aid. They pay a good deal of everything.

Out of curiosity, how are people abusing federal aid?

ranger said:

But they have Brian Adams. That must count for something. :biggrin:

BTW: My school was in the top 50 in US News and isn't even in the top 500 in this list. It's all nonsense anyway. Also, as for cost, $32k per year. I pay next to nothing (about $5k per year in fees, books, transportaion, etc) since I am over 25 and keep my grades in line.

Saladsamurai said:
But they have Brian Adams. That must count for something. :biggrin:

BTW: My school was in the top 50 in US News and isn't even in the top 500 in this list. It's all nonsense anyway. Also, as for cost, $32k per year. I pay next to nothing (about $5k per year in fees, books, transportaion, etc) since I am over 25 and keep my grades in line.

Agree, it's nonsense. Most of the schools I've never heard of! And the vast majority are private schools. No wonder they're so expensive, public schools are *much* cheaper.

gravenewworld said:
Wow. The tuition prices for colleges are absolutely vomit inducing, even if Forbes is off by a few grand. There's no way the average student could leave 80-90% of those colleges with less than $20,000 or $30,000 in student loans, even after financial aid. What a rip off. That's the American way though. Go to college, graduate with a ton of debt. Pay it off. Buy a house and then send your kid off to college which equals more debt. It's a never ending cycle of debt. I'm tempted to just say screw it all and die with as much debt as possible. Creditors can chase me to the grave all they want. What do I care. Money=meaningless paper to me at this point.

After tuition, room and board, books, etc. Basically everything in your initial financial aid packet the total cost per year for my school is around $49,000. I was lucky enough to get enough scholarship so I don't have to pay anything but I have several friends that take out loans. My girlfriend just took out a $20,000 loan to pay for this year. A few of my friends that just lost their scholarships from the school because they fell below a 3.0 gpa just had to take out additional loans as well. My guess would be that the average student that graduates here has at least 30K in debt from school loans.

ranger said:

You probably think he's kidding about the square tires. When the temperature is -40, the tires all have flat spots on them and the only thing you can do is endure the flat spots until the air in the tires heats up enough to reinflate the tires.

lisab said:
No wonder they're so expensive, public schools are *much* cheaper.
My public school is on there and they still got the price horrible wrong. They put the amount as $15,000 more than it actually is 'cause they included dorms, which almost nobody lives in 'cause it's a commuter school, rent in the neighborhood is cheaper, and actual tuition is about $5000 a year.

I chose the awesome scholarship (I made money) route over $50K/yr in loans for the much better ranked school.

BTW those costs are without room and board...

they list chicago at $49k and with room and board its $55k+

https://collegeadmissions.uchicago.edu/costs/attendance.shtml

O by the way that is a HORRIBLE ranking... its almost a joke

Last edited by a moderator:
My friends have med school loans on the order of 2-300k. Yummy.

Back