America's Smartest Cities

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Corvallis also has very strict growth policies which help to limit the population. And it is not only a community of college professors and HP engineers, but it has recently become a bedroom community for medical doctors and other professionals who commute to Eugene, Salem, or even Portland.

Yep, where I live men are men and sheeps are scared. [Actually it looks like we invested very well. This is now considered a prime area where the rich people are buying :biggrin:]

Last edited:
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
YES! The SF bay area is #9. Take that, Iowa City!

- Warren

Yeah one of my uncles grew up in Corvallis and went to OSU to become an electrical engineer. He now works for HP in Vancouver, WA. My godfather still lives in Corvallis and does technical writing for HP and other tech companies. I've been on the Willammete (knew I was misspelling it) in the middle of summer, actually paddling along with the kinetic sculptures. Whether or not I go to OSU I plan to live in Corvallis, either just for a while, or maybe buy the home place from my aunt eventually.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited:
I was going to see where Phoenix ended up on the list, but couldn't figure out where the actual list was. Maybe that tells me we wouldn't be on the list anyway.

Kansas is the most boring state to drive through! Sorry to all residents, but it is. Totally flat, and the time I went through, covered in snow. How do you people survive without seeing mountains?
Sorry??? Nah... we take that with pride... We are mathematically superior! See here:

http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200310/pancake-kansas.cfm" [Broken]

"The scientists compared the two surfaces?Kansas and the pancake?using special geographic information software. Topographic elevation data for Kansas was taken from a digital scale model prepared by the United States Geological Survey.

The pancake was purchased from an International House of Pancakes. "The importance of this research dictated that we not be daunted by the 'No Food or Drink' sign posted in the microscopy room," write the authors.

How flat is Kansas, compared to a pancake? Fonstad, Pugatch, and Vogt explain that:
Mathematically, a value of 1.000 would indicate perfect, platonic flatness. The calculated flatness of the pancake transect is approximately 0.957, which is pretty flat, but far from perfectly flat.

After many hours of programming work, we were able to estimate that Kansas's flatness is approximately 0.9997. That degree of flatness might be described, mathematically, as "damn flat
."

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was going to see where Phoenix ended up on the list, but couldn't figure out where the actual list was. Maybe that tells me we wouldn't be on the list anyway.
Maybe not, but Pheonix has about 5 Mary Coyle's ice cream parlors, don't they? That's better than making the "smartest cities" list.

Or, at least they did at one time. I used to make the ice cream at the original Mary Coyle's in Akron, OH. Bud Coyle and his wife, Mary, moved to Phoenix and sold the original store to a retired Army Colonel. Bud Coyle opened a new Mary Coyle's and had 5 of them in the mid to late 70's.

(Mary Coyle's history was one of the key parts of every employee's training, along with the correct answers to "Are you in my way?" and "Can I get a raise to at least minimum wage?" :biggrin:)

(Hint: The correct answers to the two questions were different from each other.)

Last edited:
I'm surprised Gainesville (alma mater's city) made the list. Granted the university is very large, anyone not connected to the university educationally lives in poverty. It has one of the highest homeless populations in the country (there are actually tent cities). The "have not" population is extremely visible here.

Last edited: