Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

America's Team

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    I live in Baton Rouge, work in New Orleans, from LA. I was born a Saints fan so you can imagine my excitement. I heard a few sources stating N.O. Saints are America's New Team, sorry Dallas. My expectation is that you would state your agreement or disagreement and give your reasoning. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    No. I will not have my country associated with the french in any way, shape or form.

Freakin' French! :mad:

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    Not really. Unless you bet on them, I don't see how you benefit from it at all, thus I don't know what there is to be excited about.

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4

Dembadon

Gold Member

Are you a Vulcan or something? :wink:

It's pretty common to share in the joy/excitement of the success of one's favorite team, player, organization, etc.

6. Feb 10, 2010 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I have my doubts that either Dallas or New Orleans could replace these folks as America's Team.

Still, I'm kind of impressed that people from Dallas and New Orleans even know what ice is.

7. Feb 10, 2010 #6
    Your bitterness will not change the culture of the region.

8. Feb 10, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you go to France and learn about it first-hand before you make any sort of proclamaitons? Or at the very least, read a book about it.

9. Feb 10, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats to the Saints and New Orleans!

Dallas was America's team? Maybe South America. :biggrin: Dallas has always been one of my least favorite teams.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. Feb 10, 2010 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, my dad lives in Baton Rouge, so I had to root for New Orleans just because he did.

Although he is kind of fickle. Until this year, he rooted for Indianapolis. If New Orleans had a mediocre team, at least he could root for a team quarterbacked by the son of a great New Orleans quarterback. I was kind of wondering which team he would wind up rooting for - Peyton Manning or the Saints.

Personally, it's Broncos all the way, for me.

11. Feb 10, 2010 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lisa, you've just flitted away 30 seconds of your life - still got a long ways to go to catch up with me though!

PS: I wouldn't mind making a few proclamaitons myself. They sound sexy, in a French kind of way.

12. Feb 10, 2010 #11
    All the French know about is building cities underwater and loosing wars!

Freaking French!:grumpy:

13. Feb 10, 2010 #12
    The Dallas Cowboys are and have always been America's Team. The Saints will be lucky to make the playoffs next year.

14. Feb 10, 2010 #13
    Wow....you are kind of retarded huh. It was nice of PF to let you tag along though wasn't it? They are so compassionate.; it really warms the heart.

15. Feb 10, 2010 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I must say we are all terribly grateful that they won in 1775–1783, otherwise we would be forced to play silly football as well.

"levee", from the French word levée (from the feminine past participle of the French verb lever, "to raise") - doesn't say anything about making them watertight?
    Tip for next time, get the Dutch in - terribly nice people and they do a very good job of making your country waterproof.

16. Feb 10, 2010 #15
    The Dutch may be able to make things watertight, but they sure. . . Well I really have nothing bad to say about the Dutch. Nice people really.

17. Feb 10, 2010 #16

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What do you think about Chuck Yeager?

18. Feb 10, 2010 #17
    Well he did break the sound barrier, so he seems like a nice man.

Does he have French ancestry?

19. Feb 10, 2010 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Don't like French people? The don't come to Maine for a vacation. Many of us are descended from the French traders and trappers that colonized Canada and intermarried with Indian women. The Cajuns (Acadians) that populate Louisiana started out in the Maritimes until they were driven out by the British.

BTW, if the French had not provided financial support to the colonists and supplied them with nice Charleville muskets, you'd be sipping tea and singing God Save the Queen. Learning a little American history can take you a long way...

20. Feb 10, 2010 #19

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Not that I know of. But he says he owes his life to the French, and doesn't appreciate the anti-French attitude of some Americans.

I went to a talk that General Yeager gave recently at the Aerospace Museum of California in Sacramento (at McClellan AFB).

http://www.aerospacemuseumofcalifornia.org/

The subject of his being shot down in WW2 in enemy territory came up, and he got pretty emotional about the month he spent getting out of France with the help of the French Underground. He says that he would never have made it out alive without their help, and that they were risking their lives significanly by helping him.

I'd recommend that you not display your disdain for the French in front of General Yeager, if you ever happen to meet him. He's still flying fighter jets in his 80's, BTW.

Hearing him talk sure gave me a new perspective on the French.

21. Feb 10, 2010 #20
    /sigh.

I have no problem with the French. Making fun of the French is a past time. Somewhat like all Ozies being criminals, all French are sissies.

Sorry if I offended a Frenchman. Well wouldn't it prove that the French are sissies if a Frenchman was offended? :confused:

Anyways, the Vikings are Americas team. They work their way up to something great, and end up fumbling in the end.

22. Feb 10, 2010 #21

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah yes, the people that discovered America but had the good taste not to mention it.

23. Feb 10, 2010 #22
    The Vikings were kinda A-holes about those types of things.

All they did was rape and pillage, rape and pillage. Wouldn't that get old after a while?

24. Feb 11, 2010 #23
    The French, The Vikes....I bet the list of peoples you dislike goes on.

25. Feb 12, 2010 #24
    You say that like its a bad thing to be sipping tea!

26. Feb 12, 2010 #25
    Nope.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook