Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ameteur question

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1

AG!

Hi all.

I wondered what you would see if you had a quite powerful optical telescope and looked up into the sky during the day (obviously not at the sun!)?

Would you see space, or blue sky?

I have seen images of the sun on the internet using optical telescopes and where the sun ends, it is black around the sun.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It depends on what you were looking at. You see black around the sun because the exposure time is very short and you're looking through a filter that blocks almost all of the light. Consider that sunspots look black too, but they really aren't. THIS site says sunspots are as bight as the full moon - they just look dark when compared to how bright the rest of th sun is.

If you were looking at the moon or planets, the backdrop of the sky would probably still be blue (I've actually never tried, but it's on my list...).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?