1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amine Salt derivative

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to make a solid derivative of an unknown compound. All the data I have collected points to the unknown being butylamine hydrochloride. My text book has suggestions for making derivatives of amines, but nothing for amine salts.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to form an acetamide functional group as directed for a primary amine and I don't think it worked (technically it is supposed to work within 12 hours, but I kind of don't think it's going to). I think what I need to do is extract the amine by mixing my compound with a dilute NaOH solution, extracting the amine layer and attempting to convert the functional group again. Mostly I am just curious if anyone with a bit more orgo experience has any input as to whether I am tackling this in the right way. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted