Amit Goswami's The Self Aware Universe

In summary, The Self Aware Universe by Amit Goswami uses modern physics to argue for idealism. He is currently in India and will be there for 3 months, so feel free to contact him.
roamer
Amit Goswami's "The Self Aware Universe"

Hey everyone,
I'm a new member, but have enjoyed reading threads here as a guest for a little while. Anways I just wanted to get some reflections on The Self Aware Universe by Amit Goswami. Here is a link to an interview with Prof. Goswami http://twm.co.nz/goswam1.htm I would imagine its a little obscere but it really seemed to hit the question of conciousness in an intriguing light for me. When I read it the question boiled down to how to interpret the EPR effect and Alain Aspects experiments. Goswami seemed to be saying that if you postulate conciousness as preceding matter and energy, it clarifies the delayed choice experiment as well as accomadating the idea of free will. So what is everyones take on the delayed choice experiment, does it justify adding another element like conciousness?? Looking forward to some interesting thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
we have a thread started already under this exact title. please continue discusion here:
The self aware universe

Last edited:
thread has reopened because of content of thread. note, this thread deals specifically with the author Amit Goswami.

Amit Goswami

roamer said:
Hey everyone,
I'm a new member, but have enjoyed reading threads here as a guest for a little while. Anways I just wanted to get some reflections on The Self Aware Universe by Amit Goswami. Here is a link to an interview with Prof. Goswami http://twm.co.nz/goswam1.htm I would imagine its a little obscere but it really seemed to hit the question of conciousness in an intriguing light for me. When I read it the question boiled down to how to interpret the EPR effect and Alain Aspects experiments. Goswami seemed to be saying that if you postulate conciousness as preceding matter and energy, it clarifies the delayed choice experiment as well as accomadating the idea of free will. So what is everyones take on the delayed choice experiment, does it justify adding another element like conciousness?? Looking forward to some interesting thoughts.

I read the "Self Aware Universe". I liked it and I will read your thread that you posted. Thanks. As the title implies on the cover of the book, Goswami is using modern physics as an argument for idealism.

You can contact Goswami at: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~its/goswami.html

He is currently in India and will be there for 3 months. He always replies to e mails so feel free to drop him a line.

roamer said:
Hey everyone,

I've read a bit of the link you've given,but I'm not quite impressed.Ideas from quantum physics are blown out of proportion in justifying beliefs/set of ideas that such authors have.I have nothing against believing in a certain set of ideas,but connecting them with physics is not right.

1. What is the main concept of "The Self Aware Universe"?

The main concept of "The Self Aware Universe" is the idea of a consciousness-based reality, where the material world is derived from consciousness rather than the other way around. This is known as the philosophy of monistic idealism.

2. What are the implications of this theory?

The implications of this theory include the idea that the traditional scientific paradigm, which views consciousness as a byproduct of matter, is incomplete. It also suggests that our thoughts and intentions have a direct impact on the material world, potentially giving us a greater sense of control over our reality.

3. Is this theory supported by scientific evidence?

While there is ongoing research and debate on this topic, some studies in quantum physics and consciousness studies have provided support for the idea of a consciousness-based reality. However, it is still a highly debated and controversial topic in the scientific community.

4. How does this theory relate to spirituality and religion?

Some individuals view this theory as a bridge between science and spirituality, as it suggests that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of reality. It also aligns with certain spiritual and religious beliefs that emphasize the power of intention and the interconnectedness of all things.

5. What are some potential criticisms of this theory?

Some critics argue that this theory is not based on concrete scientific evidence and is more of a philosophical perspective. Others believe that it undermines the traditional scientific approach and may lead to pseudoscientific beliefs. Additionally, some people may find this theory challenging to accept due to its departure from traditional scientific beliefs about the nature of reality.