Ammeter reading

Homework Statement

A circuit is setup with an ideal ammeter connected across the 4.0 ohm. What will the reading of the ammeter be?

2. The attempt at a solution
I am not sure whether the question is testing my understanding on how an ammeter should be connected in a circuit or about how to simplify circuits. I know that an ammeter must be connected in series in a circuit, but I cannot tell whether the one in the diagram is connected so. Or do I need to simplify the circuit such that the parallel-series combination of the circuit is more apparent?

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

An ideal ammeter can simply be replaced by no resistance wire for solving circuit related problems .Replace the ammeter by no resistance wire and then try to solve it.

ehild
Homework Helper
2. The attempt at a solution
I am not sure whether the question is testing my understanding on how an ammeter should be connected in a circuit or about how to simplify circuits. I know that an ammeter must be connected in series in a circuit, but I cannot tell whether the one in the diagram is connected so. Or do I need to simplify the circuit such that the parallel-series combination of the circuit is more apparent?
Yes, the ammeter is not connected in the proper way, but you have to calculate the current through it as it is. Do what harsh_sinha said.