1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ammeter reading

1. Jun 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circuit is setup with an ideal ammeter connected across the 4.0 ohm. What will the reading of the ammeter be?

2. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure whether the question is testing my understanding on how an ammeter should be connected in a circuit or about how to simplify circuits. I know that an ammeter must be connected in series in a circuit, but I cannot tell whether the one in the diagram is connected so. Or do I need to simplify the circuit such that the parallel-series combination of the circuit is more apparent?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2016 #2
    An ideal ammeter can simply be replaced by no resistance wire for solving circuit related problems .Replace the ammeter by no resistance wire and then try to solve it.

4. Jun 17, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the ammeter is not connected in the proper way, but you have to calculate the current through it as it is. Do what harsh_sinha said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted