1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AMO vs. condensed matter

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    I got into a top PHD institution for condensed matter physics. I already have a MS in physics doing condensed matter. Now after a few years of actual research, I'm not sure if condensed matter is for me anymore. I feel like alot of condensed matter physics right now is just pressing a button on an instrument then going through alot of data analysis. The creative part doesn't seem to be actually designing the experiment since you are using known instruments.

I visited a lower ranked school and was amazed by some AMO professors who wanted to talk to me, which I didn't expect. I was very interested in the amount of technical skills that I get to learn and apply, ranging from vacuum techniques to electronics to programming. However, I'm not sure if I like the research in AMO or not, since I have little experience in it. I am also not sure about careers in AMO, since the actual science of AMO isn't as industrially applicable.

What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2
    It would be great if there were any suggestions. I have a decision to make coming up in a week, and don't know what is right. I have significant experience in condensed matter, but don't think the type of research I want to do will allow me to learn too many transferable skills. I had experience in optics and programming, but not serious AMO physics, and never took a serious course on it beyond molecular spectroscopy. However I'm interested in the transferable skills.

Is it worth learning an entirely new area of physics for the transferable skills?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook