Is AMO the Right Fit for My Physics Research Career?

In summary, the individual has a MS in condensed matter physics but is now considering a different area of physics due to feeling unsatisfied with the current research in condensed matter. They have visited a lower ranked school and are impressed by the technical skills and opportunities in AMO, but are unsure if they will enjoy the research or if it will lead to practical career options. They are seeking suggestions for their decision, considering their significant experience in condensed matter but also their interest in gaining transferable skills. The question remains whether it is worth learning a new area of physics for the sake of transferable skills.
chill_factor
I got into a top PHD institution for condensed matter physics. I already have a MS in physics doing condensed matter. Now after a few years of actual research, I'm not sure if condensed matter is for me anymore. I feel like a lot of condensed matter physics right now is just pressing a button on an instrument then going through a lot of data analysis. The creative part doesn't seem to be actually designing the experiment since you are using known instruments.

I visited a lower ranked school and was amazed by some AMO professors who wanted to talk to me, which I didn't expect. I was very interested in the amount of technical skills that I get to learn and apply, ranging from vacuum techniques to electronics to programming. However, I'm not sure if I like the research in AMO or not, since I have little experience in it. I am also not sure about careers in AMO, since the actual science of AMO isn't as industrially applicable.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be great if there were any suggestions. I have a decision to make coming up in a week, and don't know what is right. I have significant experience in condensed matter, but don't think the type of research I want to do will allow me to learn too many transferable skills. I had experience in optics and programming, but not serious AMO physics, and never took a serious course on it beyond molecular spectroscopy. However I'm interested in the transferable skills.

Is it worth learning an entirely new area of physics for the transferable skills?

1. What is the difference between AMO and condensed matter?

AMO (atomic, molecular, and optical) physics is a subfield of physics that focuses on the study of atoms, molecules, and light. Condensed matter physics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of large groups of particles, such as in solids and liquids.

2. How do AMO and condensed matter interact?

AMO and condensed matter physics often intersect, as many phenomena in condensed matter systems involve the interactions of atoms and molecules. AMO techniques, such as laser cooling and trapping, are also commonly used in the study of condensed matter systems.

3. Which field has more real-world applications?

Both AMO and condensed matter physics have numerous real-world applications. AMO research has led to advancements in areas such as atomic clocks and quantum computing, while condensed matter physics has contributed to the development of materials for electronics and medical imaging devices.

4. Can one scientist work in both AMO and condensed matter?

Yes, it is possible for a scientist to work in both AMO and condensed matter physics. Many researchers have expertise in both fields and use techniques from both to study complex systems.

5. What are the current frontiers of research in AMO and condensed matter?

Some current areas of research in AMO include quantum information and precision measurements, while condensed matter physics is exploring topics such as topological materials and quantum phase transitions. Both fields also have a growing interest in the study of ultra-cold and ultra-fast phenomena.