Amount in mol of compound ions

• Thread starter aham925925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, the question was asking for the amount in mol of a compound ion (SO42-) when given the mol of the entire compound (K2SO4). After some discussion and dimensional analysis, it was determined that the compound ion should be treated as one ion in the compound, and the amount in mol would be equal to the amount in mol of the entire compound (K2SO4). This solved the problem and clarified any confusion.
aham925925
[SOLVED] Amount in mol of compound ions

This is just a quick question as it has slipped my mind..

Does anyone know how you would find the mol of a compound ion (ie - SO42- (sulfate ion)), if you are given the mol of the whole compound (in my case it is K2SO4)

I know to find single ions and atoms (ie of potassium and Oxygen) you just multiply their number by the amount of mol, however i am less sure of the compound ions...

Do you treat the compound ion, in this case...as having a subscript of 1? therefore you would multiply the amount in mol by 1?

thank you..

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have solved your own problem.

Yeah i may have...haha

The problem is...I'm making sure because the answer at the back of my book I know is wrong...So i have nothing to check against

what is the actual question?

Some dimensional analysis makes it intuitive

[tex]#mol (K_2SO_4) * \frac{1 mol SO_4}{1 mol K_2SO_4}[/tex]

That fraction is equal to 1 since there is exactly 1 mol of SO4 in every mol of K2SO4

The mol K2SO4 cancel out and you have what you're looking for

The given question was not worded well

But i understand now that in a compound such as K2SO4, you would treat SO4^2- as one ion in this compound...therefore you would multiply 1 by the number of mol there is of K2SO4..

Problem solved...thanks guys

What is the definition of "amount in mol of compound ions"?

The amount in mol of compound ions refers to the number of molecules or ions present in a given amount of a compound. It is a measure of the quantity of a substance based on the Avogadro's number, which is approximately 6.022 x 10^23 particles per mole.

How is the amount in mol of compound ions calculated?

The amount in mol of compound ions can be calculated by dividing the given mass of the compound by its molar mass. The molar mass is the mass of one mole of the compound, which can be found by adding the atomic masses of all the elements present in the compound.

What is the relationship between amount in mol of compound ions and concentration?

The amount in mol of compound ions and concentration are directly proportional to each other. As the amount of compound ions increases, the concentration also increases. This relationship is expressed by the formula: concentration = amount of compound ions / volume of solution.

Why is the concept of amount in mol of compound ions important in chemistry?

The concept of amount in mol of compound ions is important in chemistry because it allows for a more precise and standardized way of measuring and comparing the quantities of substances. It also helps in predicting the outcomes of chemical reactions and in determining the stoichiometry of a reaction.

How does the amount in mol of compound ions affect the properties of a substance?

The amount in mol of compound ions can affect the properties of a substance in various ways. It can determine the molar volume, density, and other physical properties of a substance. It also influences the chemical properties, such as reactivity and solubility, of a substance. In general, a higher amount in mol of compound ions results in a greater effect on the properties of a substance.