Amount of air in a room

• Thread starter Serhiy
  • Start date
Homework Statement:
The air pressure in the room is 10 ^ 5 pascals, the temperature is 20 degrees Celsius. To what temperature should the air be heated so that 5% of the molecules leave the room?
Relevant Equations:
p=nkT
maybe the temperature need to be changed from Celsius to Kelvin

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Well, yes, that formula applies to absolute temperature. Can you make an attempt to solve this yourself?

Is this a well defined question? How does the air escape the room?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Is this a well defined question? How does the air escape the room?
Through a pressure valve, of course!

Through a pressure valve, of course!
I think the gist is what temperature is required to expand the volume by 1.05. it should be straight forward, but really terrible question.

Anyway, I'd use the ideal gas law, pv=Nrt. Only temperature and volume change. I don't think temperature units much matter.

I think the gist is what temperature is required to expand the volume by 1.05. it should be straight forward, but really terrible question.
maybe your thoughts are correct, but this task looks in the same record that I described to you, but in my native language. but thank u

PV=NRT applies ONLY with T in Kelvin.

Likes valenumr and PeroK
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes, that formula applies to absolute temperature. Can you make an attempt to solve this yourself?
yup, i try again. thank u

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Anyway, I'd use the ideal gas law, pv=Nrt. Only temperature and volume change. I don't think temperature units much matter.
Lord Kelvin would be turning in his grave!

But why does it matter. If v scales by 1.05, so would t. I have to think about that for a minute,but I think it is linear.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
But why does it matter. If v scales by 1.05, so would t. I have to think about that for a minute,but I think it is linear.
Technically the scale itself doesn't matter as long as you adjust the relevant constant(s), but the scale must start from ##0##.

Okay, I thought about it 😉

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
No. It only applies when T is an absolute temperature. Whether Kelvin or some other absolute temperature scale is used is irrelevant.

I think the gist is what temperature is required to expand the volume by 1.05.
No, this is incorrect. (Although pretty close ...)

No. It only applies when T is an absolute temperature. Whether Kelvin or some other absolute temperature scale is used is irrelevant.

No, this is incorrect. (Although pretty close ...)
I would appreciate some clarification on that note, the second part..

Oh, do you mean 1/.95 vs 1.05?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Keep in mind that these are the homework forums. The problem should not be solved by others before the OP has gotten it right.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Oh, do you mean 1/.95 vs 1.05?
The problem tells you to fix ##V## and reduce ##N## to ##0.95N##. Why would you want to redefine the problem as a change in volume? And, if you do, you better check you have the correct change in volume.

The problem tells you to fix ##V## and reduce ##N## to ##0.95N##. Why would you want to redefine the problem as a change in volume? And, if you do, you better check you have the correct change in volume.
Does it? I see how that is different from what I was thinking, but the question is a bit ambiguous. But I get what you are saying. It is t percent of the "molecules".

Keep in mind that these are the homework forums. The problem should not be solved by others before the OP has gotten it right.
I apologize if I was being too direct.

Oh shoot, it's late for me right now, or early if you like. I was thinking v and n were proportional, so it shouldn't matter.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh shoot, it's late for me right now, or early if you like. I was thinking v and n were proportional, so it shouldn't matter.
It does matter.

Yes, ##V## and ##n## are proportional -- if all other things (##P##, ##R## and ##T##) are held constant. But ##T## is not being held constant. We are varying it.

In this case it is ##V##, ##P## and ##R## that are constants. Can you see why?

This means that the relevant relationship is between ##n## and ##T##.

It does matter.

Yes, ##V## and ##n## are proportional -- if all other things (##P##, ##R## and ##T##) are held constant. But ##T## is not being held constant. We are varying it.

In this case it is ##V##, ##P## and ##R## that are constants. Can you see why?

This means that the relevant relationship is between ##n## and ##T##.
Yeah, it was late and I probably shouldn't have been answering homework topics. I got the answer roundabout, but I see that perok suggestion of a pressure valve, even in perhaps jest, is the right way to think about it.