Energy Efficiency Tips for Homeowners

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of active cesium nuclei in an 800 gram fish caught near the Fukushíma nuclear power plant, which was found to have a record amount of radioactive 137-Cs. It is noted that the equation used in the solution attempt is not appropriate for this question and that there is a problem with mismatched units.
tomcajot
Homework Statement
Near the Fukushíma nuclear power plant, a fish was caught with a record amount of radioactive 137-Cs of 7.4 megabecquerels per kilogram. Calculate the number of active cesium nuclei in an 800 gram fish.
Relevant Equations
(Don't know how to add LaTeX, the relevant equations will be in the picture in the solution attempt)
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 17.34.30.png

Physics news on Phys.org
tomcajot said:
Homework Statement:: Near the Fukushíma nuclear power plant, a fish was caught with a record amount of radioactive 137-Cs of 7.4 megabecquerels per kilogram. Calculate the number of active cesium nuclei in an 800 gram fish.
Relevant Equations:: (Don't know how to add LaTeX, the relevant equations will be in the picture in the solution attempt)

View attachment 293787
Hi @tomcajot and welcome to PF.

Here are some points to consider…

Your equation for A(t) is used to find the activity after a given time (t) has elapsed. This isn’t really appropriate in this question (Though the equation can be used if you realize what value to use for elapsed time.)

You have used ‘30’ as the half-life of Cs-137. This is the approximate half-life of Cs-137 in years, Your working implies that you have take t=1 year – i.e. you have assumed the sample has been decaying for 1 year. (The fish will have gone off by then.)

You have also used the half-life in years in an equation where the activity is in Bq (disintegrations per second). So you have a problem with mismatched units.

1. What is energy efficiency and why is it important for homeowners?

Energy efficiency refers to the ability to use less energy to perform the same tasks, such as heating or cooling a home. It is important for homeowners because it can help reduce energy costs, decrease carbon footprint, and contribute to a more sustainable environment.

2. How can I make my home more energy efficient?

There are several ways to make your home more energy efficient, such as upgrading to energy-efficient appliances, sealing air leaks, using LED light bulbs, and adding insulation. You can also consider installing a programmable thermostat to regulate energy usage.

3. Are there any government incentives for energy-efficient upgrades?

Yes, there are various government incentives available for energy-efficient upgrades. These can include tax credits, rebates, and grants. It is important to research and see what incentives are available in your area.

4. Can I save money by being more energy efficient?

Yes, being more energy efficient can lead to significant cost savings. By reducing energy usage, you can lower your monthly utility bills. Additionally, some energy-efficient upgrades may qualify for tax credits, further reducing the overall cost.

5. Are there any simple changes I can make to improve energy efficiency in my home?

Yes, there are several simple changes you can make to improve energy efficiency in your home. These include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using natural light whenever possible, and adjusting the thermostat to a slightly lower temperature in the winter and higher in the summer.