Amount of isopropyl in a given cloud chamber

In summary, a cloud chamber is a scientific instrument that visualizes the paths of charged particles by creating a supersaturated vapor inside a sealed container. The amount of isopropyl in the chamber can be measured using a gas chromatograph and is important for the chamber's efficiency. It can be adjusted by changing the concentration and safety precautions should be taken when handling isopropyl.
SmileyMan
EDIT: The title of thread is misleading. Instead it should say: "Aquarium cloud chamber - realistic?"

Hello,

I am currently constructing a cloud chamber which is going to be using a w% > 90 % solution of isopropyl alcohol as the condensation chemical. I am using a typical home aquarium with the dimensions 30x60x35 (cm); its height is 35 cm. This means the chamber has a volume of 63000 cm3, or 0,063 m3. The aquarium is similar to the following:

[PLAIN]http://www.dyreudstyr.dk/image.asp?file=produkter/uploadet/{7CA0BDFB-532C-404E-9F06-F89F046F9D04}_aq.jpg

But instead of the glass lid I have cut a metal lid which fits neatly into the groove in which the glass lid lies. I will be able to supply a photo of my chamber later.
The cooling will be supplied in the form of liquid nitrogen. The bottom of the chamber will be submerged in the nitrogen in order for the metal plate to be in physical contact with the nitrogen, thus turning it into a cooling element.

The frame of the aquarium is made of stainless steel. Each edge of the aquarium is sealed with something I assume is some kind of silicon sealant. Silicon sealant isn't very tolerant of isopropyl alcohol, so I assume I need to find something else to keep the frame airtight. CERN used black electric tape to keep http://teachers.web.cern.ch/teachers/document/cloud-final.pdf" airtight.

Will the glue on regular black electric tape/duct tape - which I will use to make the chamber airtight - be dissolved in the isopropyl-rich environment? What about the tape that will be submerged in the liquid nitrogen?

Is the purity of the alcohol-solution high enough?

Keeping the aquarium airtight is my biggest worry. Do you have any suggestions for improvements - maybe some other ideas for sealants?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can say that your idea for a cloud chamber using an aquarium and isopropyl alcohol solution is definitely realistic. In fact, this type of setup is commonly used in high school and university physics labs to demonstrate the principles of radioactivity and particle detection.

Regarding your concerns about the sealant, I would recommend using a silicone-based sealant that is resistant to isopropyl alcohol. There are also specific sealants available for use in laboratory settings that are designed to withstand exposure to various chemicals. As for the tape, I would suggest using a high-quality duct tape or electrical tape that is also resistant to isopropyl alcohol.

In terms of the purity of your alcohol solution, it is important to use a high purity grade of isopropyl alcohol, preferably 99% or higher. Any impurities in the solution can affect the performance of your cloud chamber.

Overall, it seems like you have a good plan in place for constructing your cloud chamber. I would also recommend doing some research on proper safety precautions when handling liquid nitrogen, as it can be dangerous if not handled correctly. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a cloud chamber and how does it work?

A cloud chamber is a scientific instrument used to visualize the paths of charged particles such as electrons, protons, and alpha particles. It works by creating a supersaturated vapor of alcohol or water vapor inside a sealed container, which allows the charged particles passing through to leave a trail of small droplets along their path.

2. How is the amount of isopropyl in a cloud chamber measured?

The amount of isopropyl in a cloud chamber can be measured by analyzing the concentration of isopropyl in the vapor inside the chamber. This can be done by using a gas chromatograph, which separates the components of a gas mixture and measures their concentrations.

3. Why is the amount of isopropyl important in a cloud chamber?

The amount of isopropyl in a cloud chamber is important because it affects the sensitivity and efficiency of the chamber in detecting charged particles. A higher concentration of isopropyl can result in more visible particle tracks, while a lower concentration may make it more difficult to detect particles.

4. Can the amount of isopropyl in a cloud chamber be adjusted?

Yes, the amount of isopropyl in a cloud chamber can be adjusted by changing the concentration of isopropyl in the vapor. This can be done by adding or removing isopropyl from the chamber, or by adjusting the temperature and pressure inside the chamber.

5. What are the safety precautions for handling isopropyl in a cloud chamber?

Isopropyl is a flammable substance and should be handled with caution. When working with isopropyl in a cloud chamber, proper ventilation and protective gear should be used to avoid inhalation or skin contact. Additionally, all equipment and materials should be properly labeled and stored to prevent any accidents or spills.